It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mininum Amount of Water per Day?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Hi there all,

what is the minimum amount of water a person needs to survive per day?

i have got 55 litres in storage and i need to calculate how long that could last me in an emergency situation.

I have searched on the net, but i can only find a healthy amount, but not a minimum to survive.

cheers, G.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Hi there, I will keep an eye out for a website that may explain. Searching as we speak.

To me, I would say at least 1-2 litres per day depending on the conditions. If it is hot, then water needs may exceed what I suggest.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
On average you need two litres of water a day. And as scooby doo said, if it is summer, you will need more water to offset the loss due to heat. And doing the math, and assuming you family has three members, the water would last basically nine days(exluding the requirements of cooking and daily hygeine)

Edit: Here's a FEMA link regarding this.

[edit on June 21st, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Ideally, it is half your body weight in ounces. to maintain perfect hydration.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
good question ,you would have to test your hydration to see the amount you need day by day. there is a good thread about survival with some excellent links that may help you.
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=6126479#pid6126479

thanks for the thread

[edit on 21/6/2009 by ocker]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Good post.

It's also good to remember that the suggested amount (1.8L/day) is for normal circumstances. You have to take into account of not having the normal amount of water that you get through other beverages a day.. as well as the many foods that we eat that give our body hydration as well.

Now, I would suggest from 2.5 to 3L a day in a hot & arid climate in a survival situation.

You are going to be working your body a lot harder when you are in a situation like this, and without proper food and in unpredictable climates. I would suggest storing double the suggested amount per day. That's just me though.

You want your mind alert in bad situations so you can think quickly.. this requires proper hydration. The mind will shut down without it. Rather quickly I have learned.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Are these amounts being discussed only for drinking? Is the water already in foods accounted for in determining this?

Is there any information that use that in factoring?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I believe the discussion is on drinking water, but hydration found in many foods are indeed very applicable to the discussion.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
They quantity is variable dependent on activity, age, exposure[heat,wind,cold] body composition, stress level and type of food eaten. It is hard to give any type of set quantity due to these factors. Two liters a day under normal circumstances but it is easily pushed upwards to four.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
You might also want to take into account your own urine. You can drink it -- for a while.

Sounds gross, but lets face it, if you really believe there is going to be some situation where you can't get water for a long period of time, drinking pee is preferable to death.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I have a PDF file that goes into detail on filtering urine in a homemade way. Very simple. I will try to find it online.. if not I will copy/paste the details here if anyone is interested.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
drinking your own urine is rarely a viable option. By the time it occurs to most people they are dehydrated to the point of their body starting to shut down. That means no urine production.

As an aside, where is the best place to store water? It is in your body. There have been many S&R missions that have discovered a dehydrated body with water still in a canteen. Rationing is rarely a good option. Water does your body better by being inside it.

Another aside. It is better to drink dirty water and then seek medical help if needed than to not drink and die from dehydration. Another lesson learned by S&R.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
A survival manual I have states that a working man (presumably meaning they lift stuff and fortify their position and such) requires 2.5 litres of water per day. It will fluctuate based on the temperature and how much work you are doing etcetera.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
you have to specify :

activity level ?

climate ?

plus other minor factors to get any meaninfull number

eg desert combat operation = 8 to 10 litres / day / man

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
For those going on about the heat causing moisture loss i should point out that cold weather also causes moisture loss. The cold raises stress hormones which increases urination.

Anyway yes as others have said climate, activity level and even the amount of fat tissue you have influence the amount of water you need. So basically trying to work it out is quite hard.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by blind.face
I have a PDF file that goes into detail on filtering urine in a homemade way. Very simple. I will try to find it online.. if not I will copy/paste the details here if anyone is interested.

Paste it away, I've not heard of filtering your own p.ss before.

2nd line.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
You might also want to take into account your own urine. You can drink it -- for a while.

Sounds gross, but lets face it, if you really believe there is going to be some situation where you can't get water for a long period of time, drinking pee is preferable to death.

Buy a water filter jug it might take away some of the smell, build a pond in the garden or something.

new topics

top topics

join