It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Considers Cashless System

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

With recovery elusive, a population doddering into old age and perhaps a decade of deflation in prospect, Japan may start mulling the most radical monetary policy of all — the abolition of cash.

Unorthodox, untried and, said one Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi strategist, “in the realms of economic science fiction”, the recommendation has nevertheless begun floating around Tokyo’s corridors of power and economists have described Japan as particularly suitable as a testing ground.
source

Apparently, they are seriously considering this. For an NWO believer, such as myself, that is a truly frightening prospect. Personally, I don't buy the line that this move would help ease the recession. This is a move to gain more control over how and where the Japanese spend their money, and it won't be long until this cashless system hits the rest of the world. This is just a trial to see if people will accept it.

TA

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
If it works, then it will be a major step in the advancement of mankind.

Haven't you ever watched Star Trek?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

Nah, I'm not a Trekkie

Thanks for the lighthearted take. Seriously.

TA

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Seems like a good idea to me. Although, it would kind of suck to no longer have anonymity in your spending.

For the most part, all major transactions and large sums of money exist electronically anyways. Banks are only required to hold 0-3% of total deposits as paper reserves. So we're not as far away from that kind of system as you might think.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
So, how does that work when one goes to score that ounce from your corner dealer?
No, seriously?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

I think that's the type of thing they're trying to eliminate: any and all untaxed, "under the table" transactions. These people want to know exactly where every dollar goes, when it goes there and that they get their cut.

TA

[edit on 21-6-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

So if I pay the kid down the street to mow my lawn, how would that work? Or does everyone have to have a merchant id now?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
In the Philippines we have invented cellphone to cellphone cash transfer method. We've been using this for years. It can actually be anonymous.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

So, Japan is finally considering something that could improve the world.

I say yes to the cashless system. It would equalise people. It would make people get enthusiastic about their life because they would have to use their talents to help others. And it would probably end war, because wars are about greed (OK, they are also about territory).

Great idea, Japan!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
I say yes to the cashless system. It would equalise people. It would make people get enthusiastic about their life because they would have to use their talents to help others. And it would probably end war, because wars are about greed (OK, they are also about territory).

Great idea, Japan!

Huh? How would abolishing paper money and going to a digital form of wealth and payments equalize people? I don't get it? I mean, people would still get paid for what they were WORTH. And, how would going to a digital monetary system have anything to do with using ones talents to help others? You can help others right now today if you want, the paper money system we have now is no restriction upon that. I don't get it. What are you implying?

[edit on 21-6-2009 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Poeple would use their talents to help others.

A moneyless world would be a happier world, because the richest people (moneywise) rule the world now. It would make all people equal.

Which is how it should be.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

A moneyless world would be a happier world, because the richest people (moneywise) rule the world now. It would make all people equal.

Digitizing money would only make the powers that be more controlling of the masses.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

WHAT? I don't think anyone is considering a moneyless world. Gees, that would be disastrous. I mean, who the heck would bother going to work if they could just take what they wanted? In fact, what would there be to take if nobody went to work? Who would work the crappy jobs, who would fill the potholes in the road, and shovel manure on the farm, or bother spending years learning how to be a doctor, etc.? The whole idea of a reward based economy is to motivate people to do great things to help society. You're thinking of a dream world, ha .. yeah, a world we would ALL sure love to live in .. until we realize nobody is bothering to accomplish great things because there is no incentive to do so. It is MONEY that motivates people to get up off their butts. If you want to encourage people to do more for mankind, ELIMINATE the welfare state! You have to remember, it is the people that love LOTS of money that create those jobs that feed most people! You eliminate the ability for people to become richer than everyone else and there would be no incentive for anyone to do more than you are willing to do!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
If it works, then it will be a major step in the advancement of mankind.

I don't think they're talking about abolishing money, just physical currency.

Although, I'm with you on the star-trek philosophy, where people 'work to better themselves and the rest of mankind.' I don't think the collective human psyche is quite there yet and every time people try to create such a society it gets crushed with violence.

That being said, I really, really, really don't like this idea of no cash. I wait tables and bartend for a living and I hardly ever use my bank account. I pay bills with money orders. Come to think of it, the only time I ever use it is when I have to cash a personal check, which is maybe once or twice a year.

I've seen my roommate come home many a time staring wide eyed at a bank statement's overdraft fees.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Couldn't have said it better. I was just going to ignore that one, thanks for taking care of it, friend.

The push toward a paperless monetary system is a push toward a one-world currency. With a one-world currency in place, a one-world government will soon follow.

TA

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by milesp
I've seen my roommate come home many a time staring wide eyed at a bank statement's overdraft fees.

I have a sister that is stupid like that. She seems to think that because she still has checks in her checkbook that must mean there was still money left in her account to spend. Yeah, she is dizzy!
Overdraft fee is a sure sign of STUPID!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

WHAT? I don't think anyone is considering a moneyless world. Gees, that would be disastrous. I mean, who the heck would bother going to work if they could just take what they wanted? In fact, what would there be to take if nobody went to work? Who would work the crappy jobs, who would fill the potholes in the road, and shovel manure on the farm, or bother spending years learning how to be a doctor, etc.? The whole idea of a reward based economy is to motivate people to do great things to help society. You're thinking of a dream world, ha .. yeah, a world we would ALL sure love to live in .. until we realize nobody is bothering to accomplish great things because there is no incentive to do so. It is MONEY that motivates people to get up off their butts. If you want to encourage people to do more for mankind, ELIMINATE the welfare state! You have to remember, it is the people that love LOTS of money that create those jobs that feed most people! You eliminate the ability for people to become richer than everyone else and there would be no incentive for anyone to do more than you are willing to do!!!

Money, certainly motivates people to do things, but it's not the only thing.

For instance, I went for a run today. Nobody paid me to do it, and it was hard work. Even though nobody paid me to do it, I still felt a sense of satisfaction.

Also, let's not forget the negative things that money makes people do. People lie, steal, cheat, and KILL for money. People sell drugs to kids for money. People commit suicide over money. The list goes on...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

OK, keep the money, and keep the crooked rulers who do not care about anyone.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

People sell drugs to kids for money. People commit suicide over money. The list goes on...

You can fix that today yourself. Go talk to that local drug dealer, tell him you will provide everything he wants and needs so he no longer has to sell drugs to kids (or better yet, convince the parents of those kids to be better parents and monitor what their kids are doing).

You can't seriously believe a free-for-all based economy would work, do you? What are you smoking? Can I have some?
And, imagine the impact to the ecology if we all could walk into a Hummer dealership and pick up our new fancy car for free, ha. And everything else we wanted! No, what you speak of would be totally disastrous, in so many ways, and THAT list goes on and on.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

People sell drugs to kids for money. People commit suicide over money. The list goes on...

You can fix that today yourself. Go talk to that local drug dealer, tell him you will provide everything he wants and needs so he no longer has to sell drugs to kids (or better yet, convince the parents of those kids to be better parents and monitor what their kids are doing).

You can't seriously believe a free-for-all based economy would work, do you? What are you smoking? Can I have some?
And, imagine the impact to the ecology if we all could walk into a Hummer dealership and pick up our new fancy car for free, ha. And everything else we wanted! No, what you speak of would be totally disastrous, in so many ways, and THAT list goes on and on.

What we have now IS a free for all system! And people CAN go to the Hummer dealership and pick up a car for free, if you have credit that is, and the system has already been disastrous for our ecology. Oh and maybe if those parents weren't working their butts off to pay off their Hummers they might be able to keep a better eye on their kids.

What I'm advocating is a more sane society, but since everyone (myself included
) in this one is completely off their rockers, it's hard to envision.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by milesp]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join