It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Aren't they terrorists?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Why is our government supporting the dissenters?

If that were to be in the USA, we would be labeled domestic terrorists (hell . . . we already are
)

Why the two faced-ness?

I do not understand it.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
What exactly are you talking about?

Please be more specific.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

Our leadership is supporting the people rioting in Iran. They are supporting people, that if what is happening in Iran were happening here, would be/are labeled as domestic terrorists.

Why the double standard? In one country they are fighting for their rights. At home, they are domestic terrorists . . .

It makes no sense.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I was thinking the same thing myself. If we were sure we had election fraud over here, and we took it to the streets peacefully in protest it would not be televised (media blackout), and if we rioted, we would be derided as thugs and domestic terrorists. But over in Iran they're rioting and it's all over our televisions and our government and media are supporting them. Double standards much?

[edit on 21-6-2009 by theyreadmymind]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Which is exactly why we have to stay out of it. It's not our fight, and we wouldn't want other countries coming in a taking sides if there were a revolution in this country.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I noticed this also and have to say that the Hypocrisy of the US government knows no bounds, imagine for a moment people rioting over the vote rigging in the US back in 04 with Gore and what would happen.

Imagine if these Iranians were told they had to go protest in a "Free Speech Zone" somewhere and then were all arrested due to provocateurs attacking Police dressed up in full Military gear.

Shut the Hell up with other Countries affairs for goodness sakes, even if you think you are the World Police...who voted you democratically into that position ?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

It is due to the age old saying "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Aw, hell! Yeah, leave these people to their own devices. We, the U.S.A. have no good reason to stick our noses into this. It's internal. Let the chips fall as they may. I get so tired of America being a policeman. [*SNIP*]. I am a veteran of Desert Storm. Did I want to go there and kill people? No. But, for reasons that might have not been forthcoming, there was a country that attacked another country and I believed I was doing the right thing. Now I know that all was not as it seemed at that time. But, at leasat it was a war against an invader. But this # that is going on, and has been going on for many years, sucks.

"Teachers! Leave them kids alone!"

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/21/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
What makes you think that if tens of thousands of Americans took to the street in protest of rigged election that Iran wouldn't issue a public statement in support?

The hardliners in control of Iran hate the West and are actively opposed to us. Iran was once a very westernized nation until the fundemental islamists overthrew the Shah. Western influence and opinion threatens their power which extends throughout the Islamic world. Anything we can do to help destabilize and/or remove them is good for us.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by War Otter

I really don't know how to feel about this. I support the citizens of Iran but I don't want this to escalate into another war with millions of casualties. I just wish our government would support us as much as they're supporting them! We all know darn well they wouldn't.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

This has never even crossed my mind! I agree. If Americans were doing the same, they'd be them homegrown terrorists.

I fully support the citizens of Iran as I would the citizens of the United States...

Fight the POWER! No longer shall the people be oppressed!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I am not looking for the support of the Iranian people. I mean that OUR government is supporting the freedom fighters . . . yet, if it were over her, OUR government labels freedom fighters as domestic terrorists?

It makes no sense. The government can't have their cake and eat it too.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I'm interested, but don't quite know what it is you are really talking about. Could you cite any resources, or anything? of go more in depth?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by theyreadmymind

First, a war with "millions of casualties" would be on the scale of the 2 world wars.

Second, and most importantly, the US simply doesn't have the capacity to engage in another war at this time. The US military, after aggressive post-cold-war downsizing, is overstretched right now just trying to cope in Iraq and Afganistan.

This is why nations like North Korea and Russia are pushing us right now, because they know our response options are limited.

Third, I believe, that whatever the out come of these protests in Iran right now. Things will have to improve there. Look at China now, as opposed to pre-Tiananmen Square.

When dictators see the people rise up and demand reform, and the world shows it's support - change cannot be stopped.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by xxpigxx

It is due to the age old saying "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Initially, I thought the same. I didn't think of what xxpigxx proposed in his OP...

Which brings the point of the thread:

If the folks in Iran protesting the "supreme leader" and his "victory" are being labelled "freedom fighters"...

Why wouldn't We, the People protesting our "chosen one" and "his" policies be labelled the same?

It's a fact, and you know it when you ask in the OP, that We, the People would be labelled "domestic terrorists" or a like moniker.

It's a catch 22.

I have no real answer, and I suspect some progressive soul with "good intent" will have to come in and tell us how noble the freedom fighters in Iran are... and how you, me, and all other vocal patriots are wrong, and in the minority.

Good thread... S+F.

I'm sure Nenothtu will be along to make some bleeding heart bleed a bit more...

[edit on 21/6/09 by cbianchi513]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx

I am not looking for the support of the Iranian people. I mean that OUR government is supporting the freedom fighters . . . yet, if it were over her, OUR government labels freedom fighters as domestic terrorists?

It makes no sense. The government can't have their cake and eat it too.

As Mao said, "All political power comes from the barrel of a gun." So, of course, the government can have it's cake and eat it too.

However, I think the important distinction here, is that these protests are about a grossly corrupt election process in Iran, and freedom fighters here would in opposition of a mostly, fairly elected government here.

I for one, would not support the overthrow of the US government, because I would fear any American who overthrew it more.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I believe this is more of a revolution than many of you realize. Here is a post from an Iranian who has seen the situation in person.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

Right, That's a pretty powerful story there, but is it truly substantiated? I know I'm being a "proofer" but I want to believe this.

I have seen a lot of rabble in the videos I've seen so far. I've seen angry mobs throwing rocks and bottles... I've seen cops throwing rocks back. Seen the shooting, and the wounded. Seen terrible, warlike still photos... Seen alot so far.

I have yet to see or hear a statement that leads me to believe these people are staging a revolution until reading this. Thanks!

Up until now, these folks looked a lot like a mob rioting in the main city in Iran, nowhere else. Is that truly the case?

I support the writer of the link you provided, if it is indeed genuine. The spirit of a brother patriot wrote that.

[edit on 21/6/09 by cbianchi513]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

And our system is not grossly corrupt?

If we were no so lulled into this apathy, our citizen's would be up in arms as wll.

But all we care about is the next American Idol.

new topics

top topics

join