It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Um... Martian Hermit Crab?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

That is a very interesting find.
It is indeed convincing by the trail that is left behind it. Hope for life on mars may just be around the corner.

Again, great find.

Scooby Doo

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Dude. That there is Fred. We haven't seen of heard from him in ages.

Glad to see he's still truckin' the 'scape.

Rock on, Fred.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
It looks as if the crab is headed towards the exposed water. This makes sense in terms of survival instincts.

Perhaps it uses an enzyme or perchlorate-based chemical process to liquefy the ice for ingestion.

Many creatures have natural anti-freeze in their bodily fluids which allows them to operate in sub-freezing temperatures whilst remaining limber.

Perhaps a more concentrated form of this is expectorated onto the surface of the ice in a manner similiar to how arachnids inject digestive enzymes into their prey to dissolve it.

Of course this could just be 'only a rock'... But I like to speculate on the possibilities and I feel that it is worth it to do so.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

You have a superb imagination.....you should write a sci fi story or two...

And "no", I'm not having a go at you!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sam60

You have a superb imagination.....you should write a sci fi story or two...

And "no", I'm not having a go at you!

Thanks Sam!

Getting back to the crab:

I believe that it may have possibly been attracted to the lander by the perchlorate residue which it generated and accumulated during the landing process.

This would be the perchlorate that the organism uses to maintain the viscosity of its bodily fluids and which it expectorates in concentrated form into ice or food sources which are at sub-zero temperatures and so cannot be ingested.

The crab may not have required the stuff, but was perhaps propelled by powerful instinctual forces towards the unusual concentration of a most necessary life-facilitating chemical.

Edit: Check this one out.

Perchlorate eating organisms on Mars? (sciencenews.org)

[edit on 21-6-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Philip Jose Farmer would love your crab!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If you see to the immediate left of the stone, you see that the Rover has taken a sample close by the stone, and it may well have touched the stone in the process. When looking at the full picture, that seems to be the explanation.

If it had been further away, I had to look for other answers, but this seems to be it...

But, even if this one has a logical explanation, the Martian pictures are full of anomalies that is beyond any explanation...

Keep on looking. There are many more anomalies that is yet to be found..

Star and Flag !!!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Judging by the low spots in the trail, I would suggest some kind of seismic activity. Either natural or artificial (earthquake, well I guess there it would be called a marsquake or something large bouncing on the surface, small asteroid, the lander...etc).

Otherwise there can only be one explanation: Mars has life which is more intelligent than our leadership. This thing has learned to move for itself, our leadership still needs the puppet strings for movement.

[edit on 6/21/2009 by DarrylGalasso]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cubenis
reply to post by Sam60

also just for fun on the other side of the picture to the left there is this weird reflective almost looks like a solar panel way out in the distance looks like a very shiney rock in the pic.

img193.imageshack.us...

[edit on 21-6-2009 by Cubenis]

damn it's been a while since i was logged on here, but this caught my attention to much so i had to log on lol.

that was the thing i noticed, too. it looks rather strange to me, and it stands out.
1,2 and 3 is different looks at this object. i played with some different colours and stuff.
4 is an area that looked really weird when i was playing with the different settings, anyone else see this?

click

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor

Originally posted by Haunebu
Here is actual footage of a similar critter crawling on the surface of Mars!
This footage is getting more and more convincing!

Landing in 1962, eh? Seven-years before we land on the Moon, Four years before the first Moon probe?

Wow!

Indeed, and just like the Apollo 20 Footage is it a joint operation by the US and Russia. There are threads enough about the Apollo 20 footage, just search the forum.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Looks like the rock rolled down a small slope.
By the trail it left it appears as if it started rolling on its side and then picked up speed, tumbling end over end on its points. Note the deeper impact points in the trail.

Well, that's my story anyway.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
after reading the thread here's what strikes me,there should be no trails on Mars if the "rocks" were displaced by the lander then there should be more than one that's displaced.Second you people are speaking of ice,water,and animals crawling or rocks moving of their own accord.Seems to me none of these things should be happening on a planet devoid of life.My other thought is if this is the info we are getting from TPTB how incredible is the info being withheld?Mars has life!S+F

[edit on 21-6-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by cassiopeia

It's the only rock out of millions there that is doing that. And I THINK this is where the Phoenix craft landed, so if anything, it's rolling uphill.
How can you be sure it's the ONLY rock on mars doing that? Have you looked through every square foot of Mars surface photos or are you just making an asinine assumption?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by cassiopeia

It's the only rock out of millions there that is doing that. And I THINK this is where the Phoenix craft landed, so if anything, it's rolling uphill.
Uhh... WRONG. The Phoenix landed on a VERY flat surface with no incline or decline in altitude for a solid 130 meters in any direction.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth hunter
Interesting but there are no signs of footprints... or it's a stone-like lifeform that rolls over the martian landscape...
Anyway I like these kind of stuff

If there were footprints the tail would cover them up.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor

Here is actual footage of a similar critter crawling on the surface of Mars!
This footage is getting more and more convincing!

Landing in 1962, eh? Seven-years before we land on the Moon, Four years before the first Moon probe?

Wow!

Indeed, and just like the Apollo 20 Footage is it a joint operation by the US and Russia. There are threads enough about the Apollo 20 footage, just search the forum.

okay now that's creepy!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
This is pretty normal...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

very interesting, its always fun thinking about the unknown, but you know how there are lots of those "dust devils" there? do you think maybe the wind could have just moved it like that?

[edit on 21-6-2009 by miss_sky]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
OK, one more time. This is not an anomaly.

It is close by where the sample has been taken and the arm/equipment may have touched and moved the stone.

If it had been out of reach, I would have looked for other explanations.

Of more interest is the ice in the bottom of the sample hole...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Racetrack Playa rocks movement is caused by wind, ice and rain...

Mars has little or absolutely none of all three.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join