It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(UK) Blackout threat after protests over Lindsey oil refinery sackings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

(UK) Blackout threat after protests over Lindsey oil refinery sackings

business.timesonline.co.uk

The threat of disruption to Britain’s energy supply loomed last night after 2,000 power plant workers across the country walked out in wildcat strikes to protest about sackings at a Total refinery in Lincolnshire.

Construction and support workers from at least seven power stations and other oil refineries from Somerset to Yorkshire walked out in sympathy over the French company’s decision to sack 650 of its contractual staff.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Well, America, take notice of what is to be expected if we allow the transnational corporate agenda of our politician's to succeed in our country.

A French company, granted control over the British Power grid by virtue of the EU and billions of dollars now are taking advantage of their "Management" rights and, in the process, firing locals wholesale.

This is what NAFTA, or as it was rebranded, the 'security and prosperity' plan will bring us. It's already happening in the South West of our country; but you wouldn't know it by the national media's coverage.

What will happen when Spain or some other country "Owns" our roads? Any guesses.

I know it's Saturday, so probably no one will see this. But I can always hope.

business.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
EU has done wrong.
EU is PU and stinks of dodo.

French can't be trusted.
They and the EU sack Microsoft for easy money with laws.

Now they sack UK plants.
The US has no such great union sympathies.
We have right to work states that make unions PU and stink like dodo.
Join a union and the company moves.

US auto unions continue to lose memberships.

Hope the UK keeps on going, bring in the Queen.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Pardon my obtuseness... but I have no idea how to respond to that!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Pardon my obtuseness... but I have no idea how to respond to that!

That goes for me as well.
I had no idea how to resolve your post or situation.

Just goes to show how rotten the times are.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Total doesn't have control over the National Grid, they are just one of a myriad of firms operating refineries, seeing as they are an Oil company. The National grid has control over the Grid, strangely enough, which is a British owned company.

In a strange twist, the National Grid Plc owns a significant chunk of US generating and transmiting capacity, so foreign ownership of American utilities is already a reality.

These strikes threaten the supply of fuel mostly, although wildcat strikes by generating plant workers does threaten the actual supply of power to the Grid. However, you can be assured that the Government will have contingencies in place to prevent any loss of power, as it is critical national infrastructure.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Thank you for the information. Of course, it was an ignorant generalization. While they certainly do not control the 'entire' national grid, they are however, a "they", and not a "you."

I believe that it is illogical and inconsistent from a national sovereignty perspective to dole out commercial control over a national resource like power to a company/cartel/combine or even a supranational institution that is not bound by loyalty to your nation, and whose success is measured in profit.

I fear that my country's political cabal is migrating our resources into precisely that framework, and I fear it will not manifest itself as a benefit to my people.

If you feel that commerce can coexist l over national boundaries without exploitation that marginalizes your citizens lifestyle and livelihood, then please rest assured I meant no offense. I simply disagree.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I actually hope (personally) theres a national blackout from these strikes. It'll get people away from mind-numbing TV and Computer Games and actually out into the community again (albeit for a brief time). But I dont think people being forced to interact with each other again will be a bad thing, hopefully some will learn to get out more and explore their surroundings instead of the 4 walls that entrap them. And as a Astronomer it would be nice to see the Milky Way without having to worry about the constant light pollution.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

What will happen when Spain or some other country "Owns" our roads? Any guesses.

Political borders will become meaningless?

Finally....

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
I actually hope (personally) theres a national blackout from these strikes. It'll get people away from mind-numbing TV and Computer Games and actually out into the community again (albeit for a brief time). But I dont think people being forced to interact with each other again will be a bad thing, hopefully some will learn to get out more and explore their surroundings instead of the 4 walls that entrap them. And as a Astronomer it would be nice to see the Milky Way without having to worry about the constant light pollution.

Well I too love looking at the night sky--it is one of the most relaxing and beautiful things on the planet.
I wish I had a telescope, I really must get one.
But I would really miss the internet--but that's all.

new topics

top topics

join