It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Languages Separate Us, Or Are We All Speaking The Same Language?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I was told by my mother, that something very curious happened with an uncle of mine who is now dead.

Just months before his death, my cousins' father, in his 80's from Iran, and and my uncle, who only spoke Spanish were out by the pool shooting the breeze.

Now, they did not have a language in common. My uncle, having spent most of his life in Cuba and then doing business in South America, did not speak any English.

The little Iranian old man, visiting his son in Florida and his grandchildren, temporarily, did NOT speak English at all.

So here we have my uncle out back speaking nothing but Spanish to the Iranian old man who spoke only Iranian.

The conversation went on for at least 3 hours, there was lots of laughter, from both sides, and they visited for many hours like this.

When my Iranian in-laws got home, the said, "Dad, what were you talking about? Rodolfo does not understand you! He said, oh we had a great time, talking aout the IRS and politics in general"

When he asked my uncle, he said he had a great talk with his dad and that he had some great stories !

Just to validate the story, my cousin had been in the kitchen and saw them talking and laughing and she scratched her head and just let it go on while she did housework.

The whole family cant understand how this happened and soon afterward my uncle died and that was the end of the chat between these two old fellows from different parts of the world.

I thought i would tell the story because i never heard of something like this before.

Truth can be very strange

ps... They both had the right story.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by dgtempe]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I have 2 words for you, 'Universal Consciousness'. The universe translates the languages for people, mentally.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think it's kinda like the Babel fish in Hitchhiker's Guide (or in these technological times, online).

You hear them speak in your language, and they hear you speak in theirs!

For non-linguistic beings, they would communicate pure thoughts, images and ideas.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

its nothing paranormal. you would be surprised how easy it is to understand someone with just key words, facial expressions, body language and intonation, and every language has words almost anyone will recognize. while its not a strong example, because the two languages are similar, i have held conversations in spanish with portuguese speakers who didnt speak a word of spanish *countless* times. I honestly cannot say he the exact meaning of 90% of the words i hear, but because spanish and portuguese have such similar structure and words sound similar, I can understand the gist of pretty much anything he would say and vice versa just by listening to the alien words, pacing, facial expressions, tone, etc. Your brain just puts it all together effortlessly without actually knowing a word that was spoken. In the case of Iranian and Spanish, I think it was likely a mix of this with use of "key words" that everyone understands from a common language. Almost everyone with the resources to travel and own a television knows a lot of basic english words, in much the same way a lot of americans know basic spanish words.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think that sometimes when you're talking to someone, there are certain key words, tones, and things of the like that tell you what someone is talking about and what they're saying, even though you don't understand them.

I live here in Germany and when I first came here, my German wasn't good at all. Despite this, if I was "talking" to my mother-in-law, a good portion of the time, I knew what she was saying to me. The same was true when I would watch TV or talk to someone on the street.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Hi there!!!!

At last something optimistic in NWO world
Maybe Spanish is nearer to Iranian than for example Arabic but I think most important is good will to understand the other humans...

Bravo!!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think,more than the spoken language, it is the non verbal communication that convey the message.

Imagine two people speaking different languages conversing over the phone. Neither would understand each other.

But when they both are face to face, each would be sub consciously studying the facial expressions, hand/body gestures and using their brain's intuitive power grasp what the other is trying to convey.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Really, we need a new language as a whole, eventually. A meaningful language, something where problems and opinions couldn't come out of a specific sentence, a more difinitive language so to speak. I think eventually we will no longer need language in order to 'speak' per-say, but more so in order to read or see or represent a certain thing, if you know what I mean... But I think there is a sort of universal language within us in a way, through our animation and understanding of eachothers 'moods' or meanings; but that can only go so far. :p

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
OP.... I think language does seperate us from one another the same as religion..... would be a lot easier if people spoke the language of the Country they reside in........ somedays i feel like foreignor in my own country.... and i put it down to language & religion.....

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
i moved to usa 2 years ago. my little brother was like 3 at the time, and he didn't know a world of English. but in the first day he was playing with American kids, and in a week or 2 he could talk almost better than me.
this is just to prove my point that if you everyone can learn a language if they want to if no one told them that their where barriers, if you just don't care.
i don't know if it really makes sense or not. but its my first post on this site so please bare over with me.

new topics

top topics

join