It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are people/men naturally sexist to women?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Or is it a product of religion?

I do think sexism exists, even without religious context, but religion really puts the burden of it on women imo.

In tribal societies, gender roles and sexism are problems, but it's not so one-sided at females and homosexuals. I think it's because the founders of most dogmatic religions tend to be chauvinistic males trying to gain power over the populace.

The religions were more egalitarian too - you had gods and goddesses, many of each. Isis also evolved into a female vision of God.

As L. Ron Hubbard said, the best way to get rich is to start your own religion! A brilliant and disgusting remark.

If you look at every cult leader pretty much - one thing they have in common is disrespect of women. Muhammad was a perv, Hubbard was a perv, that guy who had a commune here in Oregon was a perv, Koresh was probably a perv.

So my theory, is because of the influence of these people, through their religions, women have borne the brunt of sexism. As have homosexuals.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I think womens attitudes and actions towards men cause them to be sexist.

For me, im not sexist beyond a joke or two for fun. Thats all. Yet women have left my heart broken on many occassion so i have to release the pain of rejection. And seeing so many women constantly use men, having 2 or 3 boyfriends and perhaps hundreds of partners. Is it any wonder why the sexes are the way they are towards each other?

Theres no respect on either side fully and most of what we see today is contrived affection from sex and human biological clocks.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I think some men think they're better based on what's important to them. For instance, if one puts a lot of importance in the traditional strengths of men, they'd be more inclined to be sexist towards women. If one puts more stock in the the traditional strengths of women, they'd be more inclined to be sexist towards men.
so maybe it's all in how you're raised.
Myself, I cannot even come close to defining women, but if i had to, I'd be sexist against women in their mid/late 20's who also were raised in large cities.
It's not that I am, it's just that they don't exhibit qualities that I've seen them exhibit in other environments.
There are groups of both sex's that subscribe to certain outlooks that comprise a small percentage of each sex, but since there are large populations, members of said groups may see common reactions to their actions by the opposite sex.
Basically, if you're a cow, you're gonna hang out with cows, and since men don't like cows, you're gonna see a higher percentage of seemingly sexist reactions to the actions of you and your fellow cows.
works both ways.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
both sexes are naturally a bit sexist to their opposite

that is only nature however

there are a few ignorant people still around tho that think one sex is superior to the other

but i personally judge someone by their deeds, not their cover

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
My wife is very subserviant to me, but not because I insist on it. I am actually a little weirded out sometimes. On to my point, I think culture defines a womans role. Here in the U.S. woman are gaining more respect and many men take on the traditional roles of women. ie: Raising the children, cleaning the house, and cooking. In my last marriage, I did my equal share of laundry, washing the dishes, and cooking, but my current wife has cried tears of sadness when I have tried to do those things for her.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Sexism:

"Sexism is the belief or attitude that one gender or sex is inferior to or less valuable than the other..."

Inferior at what?

IT is comparing apples to oranges.

If I am choosing someone to be a firefighter... then YES I am going to be sexist.

MEN make better firefighters for obvious reasons.

If I want a babysitter for my daughter.... I am going to be SEXIST in my selection of the babysitter.

Sexism for the most part is due to the *DIFFERENCES* between the sexes.

Men excel in some areas, and women in others.

This is not a WRONG thing to do... it is just being AWARE of what the F%^$ REALITY *IS*

-Edrick

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It stems from religion, espescially Christianity. The bible always gave man the power over women. When a woman marries a man the bible pretty much says that the woman is the man's slave for all of her life, because divorce is a sin, and we all know where sinners go... The fear of hell also is what gave men power over women.

Like I always say, 'Religion is never the answer, it only causes many, many more problems.'

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mastermind77
I think womens attitudes and actions towards men cause them to be sexist.

For me, im not sexist beyond a joke or two for fun. Thats all. Yet women have left my heart broken on many occassion so i have to release the pain of rejection. And seeing so many women constantly use men, having 2 or 3 boyfriends and perhaps hundreds of partners. Is it any wonder why the sexes are the way they are towards each other?

Theres no respect on either side fully and most of what we see today is contrived affection from sex and human biological clocks.

Sorry for your bad associate with women, Demon, but men do that same stuff to women. I am proof
. I've been used, strung along, cheated on, and hurt physically/emotionally. It's not just women that do it.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

Yeah Killah, I see your point about Christianity, but that does not explain the traditional role of Eastern women.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan

Yeah Killah, I see your point about Christianity, but that does not explain the traditional role of Eastern women.

Idk, Asian society does historically seem to be more egalitarian ... hmmm...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well maybe not the ugly ones at least...

Years ago when I was in the Philippines a place were women out number men by a large % it was true that with roles reversed it was the ladies who took to being the aggressor... stood on street corners and wolf whistled at us guys...

Heck it was even true the ladies would wait for you to get off the boat and say, "You Come home with me okay"? This wasn't so much about sex as it was finding a life mate...

Keep in mind these people invented the butterfly knife, a woman's weapon, and if as a guy, if you butterflied your woman (Meaning fluttered from one flower to the next, like a butterfly) she would make a mark on your face with her knife as a warning to other ladies that you were not to be trusted...

So is it nature or nurture? I would say nurture and peer pressure rather than some obscure Ideal found in a book or pop culture trend

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
My perception of Asia does not make it seem an egalatarian place. Am I missing something? For the first year that my wife and I were together, she would drop to her knees everytime she thought she I was unhappy with her. It took some effort to get her to stop that.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

My perception of Asia does not make it seem an egalatarian place. Am I missing something? For the first year that my wife and I were together, she would drop to her knees everytime she thought she I was unhappy with her. It took some effort to get her to stop that.

Interesting. Yes, I guess it's a universal men are "supposed" to be strong and in charge - but that isn't always a good thing - sometimes it sucks to be expected to be strong.

Especially me, I'm male and straight but I'm more the submissive/romantic type even though I'm fiercely independent in many ways.

I think the downright hatred/chattelry of women in Islam is NOT human nature.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Asia is a big place, so it is probably not good to lump it all together. Times are changing, too. As was pointed out above, the ratio of men to women probably has a major role. I have been told many times that some Asian women prefer us Western men simply because we treat them like people and not possessions.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Asia is a big place, so it is probably not good to lump it all together. Times are changing, too. As was pointed out above, the ratio of men to women probably has a major role. I have been told many times that some Asian women prefer us Western men simply because we treat them like people and not possessions.

Interesting. I've heard that too about Filipino women on their men - god, I don't want to believe it's the nature of men to treat women like animals. That is freaking sad.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The Eastern religions such as Muslim, Islam, etc are offshoots of christianity.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Sexism has always existed, and it always will. In primative societies it is backed up by the difference in physical strength and sexism can be over the top.

In more advanced societies the issues are different and a bit more balanced. Women are often the leaders at home (even in Muslim countries) whereas men do better in business. The biological differences will always be there, men do have more testosterone which gives them an edge at business and war, women will always be the glue that maintains the social fabric in and outside the home.

There are significant differences in physical strength, and differences in IQ. Yes really, men vary a lot more than women do, on average it works out the same but because men vary more they turn out far more retarded individuals and more geniuses, which will always have an effect on men's place in science and technology.

Not to say there are not exceptions, but millions of years of evolution are programmed into us and that isn't going to change just because we decide there "are no differences between the sexes" one day.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Just a little further east and you will get to where I was talking about.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I think in many ways the op is right, religion is a problem in many ways, and one of them is by creating sexism and racism.

I try not to be sexist towards men, though it gets really hard when you have men posting that they are better than women. Now those men I just want to smack some intelligence into them. But I know it won't do any good.

edit to add, and the women who are sexist towards their own sex. Jeesh grow up. Men are not smarter than women or vice versa. Nor are ALL men stronger than ALL women. We do have women firefighters who are far better at their job than men.

You guys have just shown part of the problem.

Sadly, you really can't change the views of misogynist unless they want to change. Just as you can't change the views of a racist unless they want to change.

Does it seem to anyone else that those who are usually sexist, are also racist? In my life it seems that the people I meet who are sexist, are also racist.

Harm None
Peace

[edit on 20-6-2009 by amazed]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think that the system of our society is mostly 'patriarchal', the man-made infrastructure and the ideology that goes with it. Even our modern idea of equality is more or less telling women to be more like men, rather than respecting women for their natural differences. Overall, I think we as a society (in America at least) are a bit confused about femininity, I know that I am personally.

I've read that the Hopi tribe is more of a matriarchal society. In that tribe, from what I've read, the men would do special tribal dances to show the women that men can be graceful, sensitive, and respect the feminine in themselves and in their tribe. It was part of their rituals of pairing, choosing a partner, etc.

I don't think it's natural to believe that one sex is more important than the other, or that one set of characteristics is more valuable. I think that's probably a matter of conditioning for centuries. The way we understand equality today is not about valuing differences, but training people to think and act like there are none.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join