It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Russian Orthodox religious items

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I came across a number of beautiful cards recently, each one seald in plastic. They are beautiful icon-like paintings of various saints, Christs, Virgin and Child, etc. and so on. all done in tradtional Orthodx style. Each card is about the size of a small flashcard, and laminated to it is a tiny scrap of what looks like cloth or maybe a little...piece of something? (?) Most of them are placid but a few are a bit on the bloody side (a man's head getting hacked off and streams of blood being collected graphically in some sort of pan...the man's head then carried off, halo glowing happily, by angels or somebody on a plate...

The writing is all cyrillic so I can'T read it. The backs atre covered in cyrillic writing. They really are quite beautiful, excellent artestry. Does anyone know what these are all about? What do they mean, what are they used for? What is the small laminated item?

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows about this. I think they are Russian due to the cyrillic writing, but of course other areas in eastern europe use cyrillic or alphabets very similar thereto, so I suppose it could be bulgarian orthodx as easily as russian orthodox, say.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
If you could find a link similar to what you have seen, i would gladly translate it for you.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The icon of the man who was beheaded is St. John the Baptist. There at least 4 holy days devoted to him. One when he was beheaded, one when the head was lost and one when they found the head . Another when it was lost again and found. I am not joking even though it sounds silly.
my best friend is Russian orthodox and is the church cantor. I get the whole scoop weather I like it or not.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
OK, I just took some photos as below.

Here's a birds-eye view
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d0db1bf772c.jpg[/atsimg]

Typical saintly figure
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ac42ff2787d.jpg[/atsimg]

Back of one card:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9987f428dc7a.jpg[/atsimg]

This is a beautifully detailed madonna and child, too bad I'm not good enough a cameraman to capture that aspect here:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3b5d3e61527.jpg[/atsimg]

Finally, here hand held for size comparison, is a small baggie stuffed with lots of tiny books and charms, many on small strings. Many of the small books are sealed. I really want to know what this is for, if anyone knows:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ce7d29fa3e5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Hi Silent thunder/

The painting on the actual card/frame/icon...

The word icon comes from the Greek Word ''Eikona'' pronounced ee-kona
In the Old Testament where it says, "Then God said,
let us make man in our image ..., so God created man in His own image, in the image of God he created" [Genesis 1:26-27].
This word is also used in the New Testament in the Epistle of St. Paul to the Colossians, "He is the image of the invisible God" [Col 1:15].
And so the Icon is an image of the person it potrays.

Russian,Greek,Coptic and other Orthodox Icons are similar styled, but they differ in how they are painted.
Both are beautiful to look at,and this reason they are called ''Windows of Heaven''...
~Icon of the Trinity' Appearance of the Three Angels to Abraham~

Hope that helps!

ICXN
helen

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The item you are wondering about is a small piece of a prayer cloth.

When Paul healed the sick and preformed other miracles it was said that even a piece of cloth he touched was also able to heal the sick and bring about miracles.

If I were you I would speak with a Priest concerning your treasure.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The Icons probably come with an explanation of the image depicted eg/
Theotokos and Child all differ....
Each one tells a story....it's like reading a book, but seen with the eyes.

There is an Icon on Mount Athos(Greece Holy Mountain)where it darkens in colour when something catastrophic is about to happen..
eg/
Before the attacks of 9/11 The Icon was darkened in colour.
There are many Icons and each says a story.

Just recently the Icon of S.George 'slayer of the Dragon'(Dragon-The antichrist) In Jerusalem Ramla Israel...Church of Saint George....The Icon has tears of oil running down....when something like this happens, it is not considered a good sign....
Saint George''Dragon Slayer''

Unfortunately, I can't read Russian?

ICXN
helen

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Helen jogged my memory concerning the oil.

What may look like blood on the cards or the prayer cloth is probably Holy oil. In time it would darken and look like blood stains.

Of course, depending on the age and authenticity some of the stains could be blood from the body of the person the original prayer cloth was used on.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I have tried to read the witting but its too blurred for me to make it out , the only part i could see was Georgios (Saint George ) as mentioned above. Given that the Russian Orthodox is still based on the Old Testament Trinity as they did not change to the Gregorian calender.

You might perhaps want to research "Panagio Tafos" which has been under the jurisdiction of the Greek Orthodox.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
I have tried to read the witting but its too blurred for me to make it out , the only part i could see was Georgios (Saint George ) as mentioned above. Given that the Russian Orthodox is still based on the Old Testament Trinity as they did not change to the Gregorian calender.

You might perhaps want to research "Panagio Tafos" which has been under the jurisdiction of the Greek Orthodox.

Hi tristar/

The Orthodox Church is one.
There are Russians,Greek,Coptic,Ethiopian,Japanese,Chinese etc...
All ONE body, but many branches.
All believe in the 7 ecumenical councils of the Early Christianity Church.

The Calendar issue is another story!

The Old Testament as well as The New Testament are BOTH important to a Christian.
Without the Old Testament, we would not have the New Testament!
The 'Icon of the Trinity...the three angels are a Pre-figuration of the Father,Son and Holy Spirit.
As are MANY similar Old Testament.
The Old Testament deals mainly with God’s promise to give mankind a Saviour,through prophecy,commandments,Prayer,fasting,and pre figurations of what is to come!
The New Testament is the fullfillment of the coming of the Saviour..Lord Jesus Christ.

Panagios Tafos...Holy Sepulchre

Holy Sepulchre~

Also Holy Fire in Jerusalem~

IX
helen

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone in this thread for your interesting and helpful comments. I will try to figure out a bit more about their use and functions, etc as well. I appreciate your input.

top topics

join