It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brown: 'I Could Walk Away At Any Moment'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Brown: 'I Could Walk Away At Any Moment'

news.sky.com

Gordon Brown has insisted he is not interested in the trappings of power and could walk away from Downing Street at any moment.

The Prime Minister, who faced down an attempted coup earlier this month, also indicated his "hurt" at some of the criticism levelled at him.

In an unusually frank interview with The Guardian, he admitted he wished he was a better communicator and claimed he was not very good at political manoeuvring.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Well at least he's being completely honest and candid now. I didn't agree with the way the media handled the situation last week or so by turning it into get rid of Brown whatever the consequences and such, but he may end up having to resign for the good of the party if the media keep persisting and more MP's have to go or resign.

I don't know who else for Labour would be better for the job, or if there is anyone that is good enough to replace Brown yet. And with all these crises going on in the world and at home I'm not sure if this is the time to have an election.

It would be nice if Labour could get the chance to finish the job they have started at fixing the economy and get until next summer at least to see the results of Brown's policies.

We don't need or want a tory government now, that would definitely ruin the economy if Cameron and his clowns with no real policies get in, and just simply made cuts in all spending areas. That would be really crazy!

news.sky.com

[edit on 20-6-2009 by john124]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

Why would making spending cuts in all areas be crazy. You dont have enough money to pay your bills at home or in your business the first thing you do it cut expenses to the bone. It is common sense.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by john124

Why would making spending cuts in all areas be crazy. You dont have enough money to pay your bills at home or in your business the first thing you do it cut expenses to the bone. It is common sense.

Well in principle I agree with this but in practise to change policies halfway through would be economic suicide. I would prefer to allow Brown's policies time so we can see their effect.

But the Tory plans for spending cuts just don't add up, so I wouldn't trust the no Tory party either way. The non-existant policy Tory party would cut funding to NHS for a start meaning hospitals close.

Well ok then, they do have some policies, but just some really bad ones that are typical Tory policies and have already been deemed to be failures in the past.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

reply to post by john124

is that what cameron is planning?

personaly i dont like his smugness he's so arugant at the pm's question time on wednesdays, they all act like school kids in there.

but no one really stands out to take over.

is there anyone you think should do it or what do you think should happen?

peace

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124

Well at least he's being completely honest and candid now. I didn't agree with the way the media handled the situation last week or so by turning it into get rid of Brown whatever the consequences and such, but he may end up having to resign for the good of the party if the media keep persisting and more MP's have to go or resign.

I don't know who else for Labour would be better for the job, or if there is anyone that is good enough to replace Brown yet. And with all these crises going on in the world and at home I'm not sure if this is the time to have an election.

It would be nice if Labour could get the chance to finish the job they have started at fixing the economy and get until next summer at least to see the results of Brown's policies.

We don't need or want a tory government now, that would definitely ruin the economy if Cameron and his clowns with no real policies get in, and just simply made cuts in all spending areas. That would be really crazy!

news.sky.com

Are...you...freaking...KIDDING ME? Do you honestly think that Labour have done a good job? Have you not seen the polls that show the Tories have a clear majority? People DO want the Tories back in because when Labour have utterly #ed this country's finances, it's the fiscally-sound Tories who come in and sort the mess out.

I honestly can't believe your post, it's like you haven't been paying attention to the Orwellian regime Tony Blair introduced!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

Are...you...freaking...KIDDING ME? Do you honestly think that Labour have done a good job? Have you not seen the polls that show the Tories have a clear majority? People DO want the Tories back in because when Labour have utterly #ed this country's finances, it's the fiscally-sound Tories who come in and sort the mess out.

I honestly can't believe your post, it's like you haven't been paying attention to the Orwellian regime Tony Blair introduced!

To be honest this is a failure of democracy if the tories win the next election, as too many people vote tories as a protest vote. I hear people's reasons for changing their vote away from Labour, and they just don't make any sense. I think it's a sign that the voters have stopped listening, and therefore aren't really making an informed choice. But that's the downfall of democracy, and Brown's lacks these kind of communicating skills. He recently admitted this obvious fact.

People with familieis on minimum wage say Labour has done nothing for them, well Tony Blair introduced working families tax credit and increased minimum wage. I was still growing up when Labour came to power and I'm from a working class background, I can tell you that the tory government prior to 97 did nothing for us. When Labour came to power we had a much better life and future to look forward to. People forget what Labour managed to do for so many people.

You fall for the tory nonsense of blame Gordon for the global economic crisis. Cameron's party has no actual policies to show us and just smuggly slag off Gordon with nice little catchphrases that don't mean anything. I didn't necessarily agree with bailing out failed banks.

I would have preferred to just bail the money out to the bad banks customers and say to the banks its your problems, and the customers can then put their money into the good banks. Maybe that would have been too risky, who knows I'm not an economist.

But for sure we can say that bailing out the banks was better than doing nothing. The tories never bothered to say what they would do - the do nothing party would have disastrously let the banks fail doing nothing or done the same, so how can the tories dare criticize Brown for this. Smug Cameron is pathetic!

How can you call the tories fiscally sound, they were responsible for Black Wednesday in 1992. Ask them to give you the figures for their fiscal plans, or listen to Paxman on newsnight interviewing the a tory MP. They never even attempt to give any figures as they just never add up.

I'm not saying Labour have been perfect, there's definitely some policies I do disagree. ID cards for one, and Brown's inability to connect with the voters is not acceptable.

And of course if the tories do win in the next election I will accept Labour needs to regroup and rethink how it can get back to grass-roots level politics to get the people's attention again. The UK is not Iran, if the tories win we have a tory government again. I do accept that. :lol

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by john124

Silly comparisons, you cannot compare government finances to paying bills at home in this way. Would you cut food bills down so certain members of your family could not eat?! That is the comparison that Cameron is planning by cutting costs so that certain hospitals have to close. Imagine the unrest if say a hospital closed in Luton first because funds just didn't exist because they weren't allocated. They would rightfully asking why us? This is not fair!

And it's fiscally sound for a government to not make vast spending cuts, as to come out of the recession in a better position and sooner than if spending was cut.

It's definitely much different to allocating funding for bills and business costs, and every compotent economist will tell you that. Why do you think every country in the World that is fighting this recession is NOT making vast funding cuts.

Your comments reminds me of the "straw-man" tory tactics of not addressing the issue at all, and making some irrevelant observation or comparison.

new topics

top topics

join