It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global starvation imminent as US faces crop failure

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
1/6th of the worlds population is already starving.

America's problems are a drop in the sea in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Droughts, floods, cold years, warm years. It's all part of the cycle in the grand scheme of things. If you examine tree rings from older tress that are harvested, or just die a natural death, this cycle shows itself. I'm sorry that Canada is having a tough time of it this year.
Down here in the south, we had more rain than we knew what to do with. For the second year in a row, we planted soy beans instead of cotton.
Now I live in the midsouth, near Memphis Tn, where cotton is king. But if you don't get the seed in the ground my mid May, then your screwed.
Good luck to you. My prayers are with all of you. Your area of Canada feeds a lot of people. I hope you get rain soon.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl, there are better ways. I grew up on a farm. We grew cotton, wheat, soybeans, and few acres of corn for us and for live stock feed. Now cotton is extremely hard on the soil. It extracts nutrients and depletes the soil. So we would plant cotton one or two years, on the same plot of land. Then we would plant soybeans.l Soybeans fix nitrogen in the soil, which helps to replenish the nutrients.
We would plant winter wheat, which came to maturity in late June or early July. Once we harvested the wheat, we planted late soy beans, whcih matured in October, after the cotton was harvested.
This method is called crop rotation, and I am sorry to say that I don't see it practiced in my area much any longer.
I remember seeing cotton stalks standing over six feet tall when it was planted on ground where soybeans had been planted the year before. So I know the true meaning of "being in tall cotton."
Perhaps it is time for us to look at some of the old ways of farming. Less fertizer, less chemicals, more safe food.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus
[moreThe main reason 1/6 of the world's population is starving is not necessarily weather related. In Africa, political corruption has a large part to do with it. Alond with tribal wars and disagreements. There is little we can do to aid these countries. We do not need to be committed to any more foregin entanglements at this time.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
The soil in the West is completely knackered/ played out. As mentioned above crop rotation is key to the structure of soil. No compost or goodness is added back in and the same crops are repeatedly grown in the same fields this depletes the soil of its natural nutrients, adding fertilizers is like taking vitamin supplements ie not as good as natural sources.
The reason we are in this mess is due to the mega farming that is now in vogue and exists only to make the $/£.
Smaller farms may not be as financially sound but they tend to produce more variety and are better managed - crop rotation. One crop fixes the essential elements like Nitrogen back in to the ground so that next years crop of a different type can use that while fixing different nutrients back into the soil.

Also to those above who have probably never tried any of the food they say is disgusting as they would rather keep eating cheeseburgers, good luck and keep enjoying that 'plastic crap' full of chemicals.
honestly try eating healthily for a few weeks or months and you will rarely feel like a cheeseburger afterwards. I do have them occasionally - homemade from minced beef from a local farm with onion, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber,chillies/peppers I have grown myself mainly in pots due to limited space.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Foreign aid entanglements?

Who gets U.S. Foreign Aid?

So...on that list I can see billions going to weapons for countries like Israel and Egypt.

I see $15 million going to Kenya for agriculture.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join