It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter - Will we finally see the Moon Base?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
any idea what the ratio was on the past L.O. missions ?

Yup

On a typical Lunar Orbiter mission, the photographic system provided high-resolution pictures of 4,000 square miles of the Moon's surface with enough clarity to show objects the size of a card table.

So LO would have been able to spot the Apollo junk

So what happened to those high res ones (some have been released NOW after 40 years )

The 1600 pictures captured in total by the five Lunar Orbiters using the ITT photographic system enabled photogrammetrists at NASA and the U.S. Government's Defense Mapping Agency to create accurate maps of the Moon's surface.

Department of Defense got them. In 1965-67... how about that huh?

Source ITT defense contractor who made the LO cameras

www.ssd.itt.com...

high-resolution with enough clarity to show objects the size of a card table

Anyone new interested in the LO Tape Saga

Missing Lunar Orbiter Tapes Found
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Quite a story that is still going and has opened many doors for me that I will post later when it has played out.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Now imagine that small flag that was left on the Moon, do you still expect to see it on satellite photos?

Ummm are google map images not taken from a satellite?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by no1dea
ZORGON, I find it hard to believe anything on the living moon website

Well that's okay... can not please everyone

As to Aristarchus, the blue or purple glow that is there sometimes and not at other times has been well documented since 1540 by astronomers, by NASA, by Apollo 11 astronauts, by Clementine, by Galileo satellite and changing the orientation of the image will not change the blue glow Mike captured (as did two other astronomers that day)

The full size unretouched version that we took that clip from is HERE. I have 100's of letters including three from NASA people that state this is the best full moon they have ever seen. And you can orient Aristarchus anyway you like, it won't change what Mike (Deegan) captured

I also have two physicists (one from MIT and the other from LLNL) who have written me stating they think it possible that we are seeing Cherenkov radiation, thought they have no logical explanation of where it comes from, or how

So what you believe is your choice... no one is selling you anything

OH BTW several months back we showed you the SHIVA NOVA project that has been running since 1974... well now they have made it public, though they are touting the 'new energy' aspect when in reality its a weapon project

US lab debuts super laser

Perhaps worry less about artful presentation and a little sensationalism and pay attention to the facts. Nothing we have is not backed by original source to follow up on.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Rotate that picture correctly! Ofcourse that won't be done as that would render it useless

No I won't
Besides that the full data on that is here, Aristarchus Crater Blue Gem but I doubt you will even look, your to busy dictating how I should do my site

BTW this one is from the color images taken by Clementine in 1994

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

From your source, please explain:

Launched in 1966 and 1967, all five missions Lunar Orbiter were successful. The missions collectively photographed 99% of the Moon's surface with a resolution of 60 m ground resolution or better. The first three missions, dedicated to imaging 20 potential Apollo landing sites, were flown at near equatorial orbits as close as 22 miles above the lunar surface. The fourth and fifth missions were devoted to broader scientific objectives, and were flown in high altitude polar orbits.

"...resolution of 60 m ground resolution or better."

(Must have come from their Department of Redundancy Department, eh?)

BTW, these LO missions were early to mid-60s, right? How many card tables did they photgraph?

AND....since this thread is about seeing the bases....WHY didn't the LO see the bases? They were already there, correct?

Oh...all the photos are still at McDonald's?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

ZORGON, I find it hard to believe anything on the living moon website

Well that's okay... can not please everyone

Perhaps worry less about artful presentation and a little sensationalism and pay attention to the facts. Nothing we have is not backed by original source to follow up on.

Zorgon, I'm not worried about "artful presentation". And i suggest you "pay attention" and Deny Ignorance

FACT - The only reason these pictures are presented in that way is to mislead.

The Aristarchus is something of interest, but that does not necessarily mean its a reactor now does it?

Rectify the pictures and stop the BS then

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Rotate that picture correctly! Ofcourse that won't be done as that would render it useless

No I won't
Besides that the full data on that is here, Aristarchus Crater Blue Gem but I doubt you will even look, your to busy dictating how I should do my site

BTW this one is from the color images taken by Clementine in 1994

Again Zorgon you mislead with oversaturated colours! And dare i say a stretched image?

I know you have your (and your website's) image to maintain so i will leave you to your world and expect a reply and thats fine by me

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Now imagine that small flag that was left on the Moon, do you still expect to see it on satellite photos?

Close ups on google map are taken with aircraft Zorgon.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
pay no attention to trolling. Pegasus website is awesome ! i have learned alot from the information you have provided and will always be thankful you took the time to do this for everyone.

I know but you know... sometimes you have to prod the Lemmings to go over that cliff

Back on the topic of LRO

I have an important addition... that I was hoping someone else would drag in to this... but okay

You mentioned Clementine images. Well ArMaP was there with us when on December 12 2006 Pegasus released here at ATS the info for the color version of the Clementine images

Revealed for the First Time Color Images of the Moon from Clementine Satellite

The story of that is as follows, and you will see how this ties in with the LRO Mission...

In Sept 2006 we were sent an anonymous link to a directory at NorthWestern University that contained the Clementine color images. These included huge (60 megs) tiff files and 1-2 gigabyte Cubit .cub files that can only be viewed with Cubit or Isis on a linux system.

Northwestern University was the home of Mark Robinson... it turned out the directory was his (still don't know who linked us
)

In Oct 2006 LPI Lunar and Planetary insitute released these publically and the USGS created and lauched the Map a Planet version in conjunction with the 2006 Space Resources Roundtable Symposium

Patty Garcia later thanked me for the attention their site got in the early days due to the thread at ATS

Funny thing is everyone is still using the old Clementine Navy v1.5 abd V2.0 black and white browsers and the color ones have been all but ignored

Here is a sample of what is available (this is 10% of the full image and set at 10m'pixel

Reiner Gamma

This is Reiner Crater settings at 0.1 m/pixel but you can only request that in a very small section

That should answer your question about Clementine resolution

Okay Back to Mark Robinson...

After the release in October he moved operations to Arizona State University, where he still is currently.

By Novemeber his directory had been transfered to ASU and is still there, same data same huge files

Color Mosaics of The Moon
ser.sese.asu.edu...

So we had the scoop on this release... and had a good run with it, though I still have the feeling we were a pawn in this game... the timing of it all was beyong coincidense in my book

So now if you go to ASU you will find that Mark Robinson is now TEAM LEADER (Principal Investigator) of the LROC Project. One of the other members is Michael Malin of Malin Space Systems, the same MSS that gives us those Mars Global Surveyor images

Team
lroc.sese.asu.edu...

So when the images do come in I will be watching here at Arizona State University for the results

lroc.sese.asu.edu...

BTW they also have several other galleries

Lunar Orbiter
ser.sese.asu.edu...

Apollo
apollo.sese.asu.edu...

So let's hope for some interesting images... one way or the other it will be a cool ride

As to the Trolls... Pegasus is working on a space craft... we need victims errr volunteers

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

In your limited world perhaps... but in mine I use Iknonos and they are definitely taken from space and have some pretty awesome detail

www.geoeye.com...

And the new Geoeye just launched will be contracting with google Earth so I expect some good things

GeoEye's New Satellite Offers Unprecedentedly Sharp Images
www.defensenews.com...

Good News for GeoEye: Google Exclusive Deal for High Res GeoEye 1 Imagery
apb.directionsmag.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

In your limited world perhaps... but in mine I use Iknonos and they are definitely taken from space and have some pretty awesome detail

www.geoeye.com...

And the new Geoeye just launched will be contracting with google Earth so I expect some good things

GeoEye's New Satellite Offers Unprecedentedly Sharp Images
www.defensenews.com...

Good News for GeoEye: Google Exclusive Deal for High Res GeoEye 1 Imagery
apb.directionsmag.com...

Welldone i knew you couldn't resist!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Considering that is a 13MB image, I think you should just post a link instead of making people download the whole file, some people have to pay per megabyte.

And as you always post that image, can you at least say what is the resolution? As it is it means little, we do not have anything to compare it with.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Seems you posted as I was editing
Fixed

I will look up the info on the resolution, it was from the National Geo expedition to Shangri La so it will take some digging, but I should have that data
I can write Ikonos if I need to... But I only used it to show what is possible... and that is not the full res available I don't have the $18,000 that National Geo paid for the full set of 20.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Oh...all the photos are still at McDonald's?

Yes actually they are... but you can see some of the reclaimed ones here, the website of the LOIRP team
www.moonviews.com...

And you can see the history of these tapes from the Garage where they were stored to the McDonald's at NASA Aimes location

Image Collection: From a Garage to NASA
www.moonviews.com...

I am not sure why you keep switching from an intelligent participant to a guffawing troll
but we still like you

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I am not sure why you keep switching from an intelligent participant to a guffawing troll but we still like you

I'm hungry, and wanted to poke you in the ribs to see if they're cooked yet.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
UPDATE

Countdown for
LRO Lunar Orbit Insertion (LOI)
1 day: 13 hours : 22 : 11

lroc.sese.asu.edu...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Yes, but do you think (or have any example of it) that they can show a flag the size of the one that was left on the Moon?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

About the resolution of Lunar Orbiter photos, from the Lunar Orbiter Digitization Project.

Very High Resolution Coverage

Concurrent with the global project effort is the task of digitizing and archiving many of the near-side, low altitude LO photography. LO mission III photographed areas primarily to locate and confirm suitable landing sites for the Apollo program (designated as primary (P) and secondary (S) sites). The most promising landing sites were certified during LO mission V, which also imaged a number of sites of scientific interest. Ground resolutions for both data sets ranged from 1 - 40 m. Visit the Status Maps & Data Download pages for current scanning status and for access to 100-micron resolution data products available for download.

The problem we have today with those photos is the fact that they are not in digital format, so they have to digitised them

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Yes, but do you think (or have any example of it) that they can show a flag the size of the one that was left on the Moon?

Work work work
I will see if I can find one... there should be some on every government building. I will spend some time tonight just for fun while we wait for the LRO images

The problem we have today with those photos is the fact that they are not in digital format, so they have to digitized them

I meter is good
because....

"Space Imaging's IKONOS satellite took this 1-meter color image of Rainbow Falls and Hidden Falls along the Tsangpo River May 9, 2000."

I actually had that already on my page with the image link. I have so much I need a super computer to find i all

So that means LO took images in 1966-67 that are comparable to Ikonos satellite, only not in color

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I wonder how they created those colour images with only one visible light channel, but that is a different story.

There must be some confusion about the resolution of those images you posted, the original is 100 metres per pixel, and it looks like this.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/0f4c2f72d03d4531.jpg[/atsimg]

(The image above was cropped from a larger image, that can be seen here)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join