It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran opposition defies ayatollah, schedules protests on Saturday

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Last night, Dateline did a story on the new "Normal"! Basically, how people, up to 60% have stopped using plastic, and only use cash now.

People eating at home, growing their own produce, downsizing homes and cars, and all the happier for it. Maybe this is the good side of the recession, since homes had become so expensive, but the wages hadn't kept up with 2-3 thousand dollar mortgages. What goes up, must come down, and in this case, down to a level that is much more in tune with what our grand-parents lived, as "normal"!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Iranians disappointed that American government not addressing human rights, wow

Wow, that is interesting. I have a feeling Obama is preparing his speech as we speak. He had to wait. I would be surprised if there was no press conference or short speech.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Hopefully they dont run out of steam. Still, the west should keep out of it for now, unless there is some sort of proof given that indeed the election was a sham (alot of circumstantial evidence for now, but nothing concrete).

an opinion poll before the election had the same results (65%+ for ahmadinejad) - and it was made by a non-govt company working for some american news org.

now obviously since the results were announced just a couple of hours after poll closing it looks suspicious but i'm just saying the majority of iranians may have actually voted to keep him as prez. like in any country most iranians are not highly educated and they love populism. i wouldn't rule out that he really did win if all the votes were counted. i wouldn't be surprised if he would actually win a remake of the election because now all the conservatives would be highly motivated to go outvote the "liberals" in support of their leader.

the mistake was to declare him a winner too soon instead of at least pretending to wait a couple of days. they were so sure about their grasp on power. we'll see what's next but i really hope there will be little to no bloodshed or mass arrests.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
reply to post by Stormdancer777

What was happening in the "government building"? That's interesting.

I am sorry that post was misunderstood

They are saying that there is some rumbling by a few government officials, also against the fake election and the Ahmadinejad regime.

The Iranian people will have to do this themselves, or otherwise it will be seen as just meddling by outside influences.

I guess.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

She spoke of that , yes.

It's true.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What was suspicious was arresting mousavi the day after the election...

You don't get much more suspicious than that in my opinion...

And for he record, I have yet to meet an Iranian who likes the Ayatollah...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rgseymour

Couldn't agree more. They are not just sitting back to see what happens. I feel North Korea is someone's pawn to trigger us into attacking which will give others an excuse to defend/attack the US. What a mess. The mountains are looking better every day.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
garybaumgarten.blogspot.com...

many people from middle east and Europe chatting now.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Iranians disappointed that American government not addressing human rights, wow

Wow, that is interesting. I have a feeling Obama is preparing his speech as we speak. He had to wait. I would be surprised if there was no press conference or short speech.

in fact Obama's approach is the best out there. iranians don't want the US to give them a revolution and as some said they don't want to become iraq. on the other hand anything Obama says will be used by the dictators against the protesters to label them devil lovers and give them extra reasons to crack down.

don't forget what happened to the kurds in iraq when Bush first supported them with words, but not with actions. all those people were slaughtered by saddam! silence is best for now, unless Obama wants to back the protesters with military force and i hope he has no such aspirations.

iranians are on their own in this one, they should decide their faith.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
New Video Of Today's Tehran Protests

Check out these videos are they new?

They might be

garybaumgarten.blogspot.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSecret

It is a sticky situation that's for sure.

Edited to say Obama was silent on Iran but likes to tell Israel what to do ,

[edit on 113030p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Ok, I see.

I doubt there will be a real revolution, meaning where the gov is overthrown, at least now. But it has already been a revolution in the sense that the world has seen this new paradigm of thought there.

Even if, or when it dies down it is probably a turning point. Just my opinions.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSecret

Excellent points. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming days. It's true, even a speech from Obama could be a very bad thing. He's a smart guy.

Has anyone in Europe said anything yet? I mean any leaders?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Here why don't we just post it in this thread...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Here why don't we just post it in this thread...

thank you

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

Dude your picture is next to stupid in the dictionary. Go on dish other nations while yours burns from it's own actions. The worm always turns, one just needs to wait and watch.

America is kind, America is good!
at U

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well the people are sure not backing down.

Riot police clash with demonstrators in Iran

Iran was rocked by violent clashes today as demonstrators defied their Supreme Leader’s warnings of ‘bloodshed’ to take to the streets.

Police in Tehran used teargas, metal batons and water cannons on protesters who continue to challenge the recent presidential elections.

In the south of the city supporters of defeated candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi torched a building used by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s backers.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Saturday: Updates on Iran’s Disputed Election

thelede.blogs.nytimes.com...

anybody been twittering?

Can it be trusted?

edited to say
Please this video is horrific,

[edit on 123030p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Basij shots to death a young woman in Tehran’s Saturday June 20th protests At 19:05 June 20th Place: Karekar Ave., at the corner crossing Khosravi St. and Salehi st. A young woman who was standing aside with her father watching the protests was shot by a basij member hiding on the rooftop of a civilian house. He had clear shot at the girl and could not miss her. However, he aimed straight her heart. I am a doctor, so I rushed to try to save her. But the impact of the gunshot was so fierce that the bullet had blasted inside the victim’s chest, and she died in less than 2 minutes. The protests were going on about 1 kilometers away in the main street and some of the protesting crowd were running from tear gass used among them, towards Salehi St. The film is shot by my friend who was standing beside me.

Please let the world know.

thelede.blogs.nytimes.com...

[edit on 123030p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It's getting ugly...

Videos of women being beat by police... and now this...

It's going to be a long road for our friends in Iran...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join