It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Government Loans to Airbus A350 to Total $4.6 Billion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
WOW Lots of coin there but is it all that surprsing

Yes yes I realize that the Fren..... errrrrr Airbus says its all nicely compatable with WTO regulations,

Airbus typically receives about a third of development costs from European governments in the form of loans. After the WTO complaints were filed, Airbus said it would refrain from seeking loans immediately.

Boeing and the U.S. government say Airbus is getting unfairly subsidized when it accepts state lending because the loans are not at commercial rates.

“We can only reiterate our position that Airbus should finance its aircraft development using its own cash and commercial loans, which it has repeatedly said it is able to do,” Boeing spokesman Jim Proulx said in a statement today.

A decision in the WTO case is scheduled to be released as soon as next month.
www.bloomberg.com...

All of this on top of the tidy little gift of 28 million pounds they just got for a plant in the UK

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Come on FredT,

This thread is just asking to bait people into a Boeing v Airbus funding argument, one i think we could all do without, aren't arguments like that against the forum rules?

Ultimately both of them are funded equally in alternative means. I think we need to leave it at that.

Please, Im really sick of Boeing v Airbus...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Define 'gift' Fred? GKN has bought Filton from Airbus and now wholly owns the site. Are you just on a mission to generate site traffic with these threads?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CloudySkye
Come on FredT,

This thread is just asking to bait people into a Boeing v Airbus funding argument, one i think we could all do without, aren't arguments like that against the forum rules?

Ultimately both of them are funded equally in alternative means. I think we need to leave it at that.

Please, Im really sick of Boeing v Airbus...

Ditto...

USA gave just as much support to Boeing via a different series of mechanisms. For example trade aid for buying Boeing. Export subsidies for Boeing purchases. Often with Boeing purchases the subsidy was discreet and less than obvious.

I actually prefer Boeing aircraft but I too am sick of the argument promoted in this thread. The Europeans are only practising what USA did but in a clearer and more obvious way.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Define 'gift' Fred? GKN has bought Filton from Airbus and now wholly owns the site. Are you just on a mission to generate site traffic with these threads?

From the BBC........

Plane-maker Airbus has been awarded a £28m grant from the assembly government to ensure the future of hi-tech wing production in Flintshire.
news.bbc.co.uk...

grant.......... gift.......... Potato, patato

28 million pound grant.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
[USA gave just as much support to Boeing via a different series of mechanisms. For example trade aid for buying Boeing. Export subsidies for Boeing purchases. Often with Boeing purchases the subsidy was discreet and less than obvious.

THe majority of "aid" the EU claims is money paid for research. The same thing that the EU government does as well. Not in the form of outright gifts, below market loans etc.

I actually prefer Boeing aircraft but I too am sick of the argument promoted in this thread. The Europeans are only practising what USA did but in a clearer and more obvious way.

Actually I think Airbus makes a really good product and am happy to fly in either. its the politics that chap my hide

[edit on 6/20/09 by FredT]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Boeing got $3 billion in tax breaks from the state of washington for the 787
www.digitalarchives.wa.gov...
www.siteselection.com...

In the US you go to the states to get the money and as in the UK case it hasn't got anything to do with it a being a US, UK or european company it is just about keeping jobs in your region.

I didn't realise airbus still owned a facilty in the UK, sold one site to GKN kept another site

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by deckard83

The tax break was open to ANY producer of LCA if I recall. I wonder if Boeing would get the same gifts in say Tolouse? I guessing NO

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I can't say for Tolouse since that's in france and the gift/grant you mentioned was from the UK but if Boeing was willing to have a site in the UK employing people that fact it was Boeing wouldn't stop them getting a grant. Since BAE sold there stake in Airbus, Airbus is no more a UK company then Boeing is.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
reply to post by deckard83

The tax break was open to ANY producer of LCA if I recall. I wonder if Boeing would get the same gifts in say Tolouse? I guessing NO

People keep rabbiting that, but if they actually read the Washington State law pertaining to that taxbreak (HB 2294), they would rapidly see that, while it did not have the words 'Boeing Only' in it, it was custom written for Boeing and the 787.

apps.leg.wa.gov...

No other LCA manufacturer could have fulfilled the requirements of the law in order to gain from the tax break, it required several key components to be fulfilled, of which at the time only Boeing could have fulfilled them all.

No other manufacturer could sign a Memorandum of Agreement by June 30th 2005.

No other manufacturer could have agreed to start final production of a 'super efficient civil airliner' by December 31st 2007.

No other manufacturer was proposing at that time to build an aircraft that met the following clause:

(f) "Superefficient airplane" means a twin aisle airplane that carries between two hundred and three hundred fifty passengers, with a range of more than seven thousand two hundred nautical miles, a cruising speed of approximately mach .85, and that uses fifteen to twenty percent less fuel than other similar airplanes on the market.

The A330NG and A350 as proposed by Airbus at that time did not fulfil those requirements.

new topics

top topics

join