It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the world survive 100 years if we keep going in the same direction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I am not talking about 2012 or any kind of event thats "suppose" to happen. I am talking about the ongoing situation with our environment and the deterioration of moral values in our world. Is it possible for our civilization to survive for another 100 years with the political problems, and the current pollution problems going on. Can our Earth even survive? Plz post your ideas, about the future of Earth!

Sorry if this is in the wrong fourm guys, just not sure were to put it

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
In the next 100 years...

There will be large wars,
And there will be times of peace.

There will be people working to build empires,
And people working to take them apart.

The world will know hunger and pain,
And the world will know renewal and rebirth.

We will reach for the stars and come up short,
But we will emerge from the ashes better for having tried.

The next 100 years will be exactly like the last 100 years,
Because the next 100 years will be unlike anything that came before.

Jon

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think the world has survived far more barbaric times. Humanity has survived far more barbaric times.

Society? That's a different story....'civilization'....again different story.....

I really think humans can be like rats...very adaptable...prolific breeders....

Me might get seriously 'culled' but we will continue....evolve.

We will evolve into thin, big-headed, huge-eyed, grey-skinned, slit-mouthed, long-fingered time travelers.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
I am not talking about 2012 or any kind of event thats "suppose" to happen. I am talking about the ongoing situation with our environment and the deterioration of moral values in our world. Is it possible for our civilization to survive for another 100 years with the political problems, and the current pollution problems going on. Can our Earth even survive? Plz post your ideas, about the future of Earth!

Sorry if this is in the wrong fourm guys, just not sure were to put it

Morals are relative and have always been relative. I would say now more than ever ethical treatment of people is higher than it ever has been. I know we have more people on our planet than ever, and thus looking at just the numbers there are still many, many people being discriminated and oppressed, but as a whole I think it's much better than the genocides, enslavement, and class/gender oppression of previous centuries.

In my opinion, as global societies move towards a more secular form of government and global communication/transportation become accessible for everyone, we'll see a huge positive change in power for the people...all people.

Now, as far as the climate goes, everyone knows it's changing. It's getting warmer. The debate about the human effect still rages on, but regardless, we know it's getting warmer, to the detriment of us as a race and many species on the planet. We know the glaciers are melting (as are the ice caps), the rainforests are shrinking, it's getting warmer, the water more toxic, etc. If it comes to a point where it starts affecting large populations - say, the Ganges dries up and a billion people in India find themselves without an adequate water supply, then we're going to see big trouble.

Wars will break out over the basic necessities of life, and I believe that a government worried about being able to provide water or food for its people is much more liable to go to extreme and bloody measures to get its way. We could see large scale massacres and land grabs like never before with weapons the world has never seen.

The true test for humanity is whether or not we'll be able to sustain our current levels of comfort and population. Mark my words, the wars of this and the next century will not be about spreading Democracy or stopping dictators, but about water and food and oil - the lifeblood of a nation.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The world will survive; possibly even the human race.

As far as society as we know it; consider it gone. It's already on it's way out. Granted, all things change with time, but our children will not have the same society to live in that we have 'enjoyed', just the same as us not having the same society that our parents 'enjoyed'.

Time changes all things. Get used to it...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Also is it to late to change what we did to the world? How much money would to take for the goverments of the world to get cleaner alternatives?

Ideas?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
you topic is "Can the world survive another 100 years?" to answer that question.. yes it can... The earth has been around for billions of years... surviving the beginning of the solar system, meteor impacts, killer solar flares, and ice ages... But what i think your asking is if people and other living creatures survive another 100 years. I know for a FACT that my children are going to live hard lives and live through wars and destruction of great countries. The Rain Forest will no longer be what it is and will no longer give off 28% of the worlds oxygen. the ice caps will be a distant memory. Great cities like New York and new orleans will be covered in water. Our streets will be over crowded with homeless because we wont have enough jobs to go around.. By the end of the 100 years Major wars will have been waged and many lives lost. we will be taken down to our bare core. as we hit the century mark.. life will be weak.. food will be scarce life will die out.

new topics

top topics

join