It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyborg is here! Check out this robot arm on a human

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This story is very interesting because these arms and eventually legs will be connected to the internet and they will be more efficient than a human arm.

Then you could see evolution kick in and these robotic arms and legs will be the norm.

The US Department of Veterans Affairs announced another 3 years of funding for the DEKA Prosthetic Arm (aka the "Luke" arm). The 18 DOF robotic arm includes actuated fingers and can be controlled via a foot-operated joystick, shoulder-operated joystick, or myoelectric switches operated by brain implulses. We last mentioned the DEKA Luke arm when it completed a two year DARPA trial period. The DEKA in the name comes from "DEan KAmen" and the "Luke" designation is a Star Wars reference. The new work will be funded by the VA's Prosthetics and Sensory Aids Service. The video clip above shows the DEKA arm in action under the control of the myoelectric interface which allows the patient to control it with their brain using residual nerves.

robots.net... brain using residual nerves.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Matrix Rising]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Your link is broken.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
robots.net...

Thar you go.

for craps sake, third time.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Is this the vid you're going after? Linky.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Thanks, what number do you put between the you tube links when you are embedding a video.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

JY8I_QswM&hl

That's the only number that needed to go in between

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
That's cool.

I want to see him smash a brick.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
You should check out www.T3.com for all the latest in technology....

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Great story!! It amazes me how quickly science fiction becomes science fact!! I remember back in the 70's people snickered and said that the premise of this show would never happen...

Of course, they said the same thing about the communicators on 'Star Trek', which now look like crappy cell phones!

Mr. Amputee, meet Dr. Rudy Wells!!!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Of course, they said the same thing about the communicators on 'Star Trek', which now look like crappy cell phones!
That's no coincidence. The first Samsung flip phone was actually inspired by the Star Trek communicators. *** The more you know***

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Drexon

I'm aware of that, I was just pointing out the fact that back in the 60's, the communicator was laughed at as impossible, then a few decades later it came to pass.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Jules Verne had a very creative mind and described a journey to the moon back in 1871, long before humans (in our time) went to the moon.

Sciene and 'creative minds' have been going hand in hand over the last 100 yrs or so. Everything that once seemed impossible, is (more or less) possible nowadays.

Its a few years back but I do remember reading a newsarticle that scientists in either Japan or China did succeed to let human cells grow on a microchip.

Does anybody remember that?

The science is there and sometimes even the money to make cyborg-like gadgets in order to 'upgrade' a human body.

Thinking of it now ... there have also been tests on blind people to let them 'see' also 'cyber-wise'.

The future is NOW!

Have no time to seek for links or in me files now. Hope someone will come up with more info.

Peace!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The arms and legs connect to the internet? Why? A direct nervous system link would be good, but internet access is a little weird, imagine if some hacker took control of your legs. It would happen, eventually - anything with internet access is vulnerable, no matter what security you pack into it. It would also be friggin hilarious

top topics

join