It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC to look at exclusive cell phone deals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

FCC to look at exclusive cell phone deals

my.earthlink.net

NEW YORK - Regulators will investigate whether exclusive cell phone deals, such as the one that locks the iPhone to AT&T, are good for consumers.

The acting chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Michael Copps, has instructed the commission's staff to review exclusivity arrangements.

"In the fast-changing wireless handset market ... we must ensure that consumers are able to reap the benefits that a robust and innovative competitive marketplace can bestow," Copps said Thursday at an industry conference in Washington.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I hate federal regulations but when companies conspire to keep prices high, stifle competition, and basically stick it to
the consumer, what needs to be done if not regulation in some fashion?

Large Corporations have immense control in political circles with their lobbyist and accompanying bribes of political contributions, trips, prostitutes, and who knows what else.

Consumers have almost no recourse except to boycott products. When there is no competition even a boycott is ineffectual.

Apple Inc.'s iPhone is a much-noted exception. Dallas-based AT&T Inc. has been the sole U.S. carrier since Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple launched the first model two years ago, frustrating consumers who want to use it on another carrier.

my.earthlink.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
About time!

Here's a conspiracy for you...I'm willing to bet that Apple was behind the complaints to the FCC to get them to investigate.

Why?

Apple, in it's SOP of using Proprietary Systems to stifle end-user freedom and control, got into bed with another Monopoly, AT&T and in the end gouged their customers not once but twice as both Monopolies tried to fleece the end-user. AT&T realizing that Apple Fans are gullible, as Apple has always known, started gouging even more and has failed to live up to their agreement with Apple in many ways.

I think every single person who attended WWDC 2009 where the iPhone 3G S was unveiled along with the iPhone 2.0 System for all iPhones, took notice that AT&T was noticeably absent from the conference and not one keynote, presentation, or piece of literature mentioned AT&T (even when they named 50 other carriers by name!). It was clear at WWDC 2009 that Apple is grievously upset at AT&T, but cannot violate their contractual agreement that gave AT&T an exclusive license.

So, Apple wants out of the agreement without the litigation and financial penalties involved in Breach of Contract, so they get their insanely devout Apple-Army of Fanbois to complain to the FCC until the FCC starts investigating...ultimately putting an end to the practice of Exclusive Arrangements and allowing Apple to terminate their partnership gone wrong with AT&T without legal penalty.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

The theory that Apple is privately lobbying for this makes a lot of sense in light of all of the recent restrictions that AT&T has been placing on the new iPhone features. . .

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I would love to have a new iphone if I could afford the monthly service, but I absolutely refuse to deal with AT&T as they slammed my landline once and they were the most arrogant [expletive]that I ever had to deal with.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
About time!

Here's a conspiracy for you...I'm willing to bet that Apple was behind the complaints to the FCC to get them to investigate.

That would be an act of desperation. The resolution of the issue that you mentioned is well outside the domain of FCC regulatory powers. On the other hand, if it's true that FCC is looking into something like that and mentions "consumer benefits," then a big corporate haggle is on. Since AT&T corporate lawyers are among the best in the world, its hard to weasel out of a deal going sour. AT&T deal makers can type with the finest font ever available, which the ghostly legacy of nerdy naivete still roaming the Apple headquarters doesn't have the right glasses for.

The corporate America tattooed two numbers on the American populace: the credit card number and the phone number. Without them, people may not function properly in the society. Surely, the fee for the "privilege" to have both numbers is the rabbit the pack of wolves is after. Like I hear the howling all the way to FCC.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Meh, screw the Iphone.. it was cool for a year but because only one carrier had the phone, other carriers helped develop new ones.

For instance... I wanted an Iphone, but I had verizon, so I just didn't buy a new phone..

Then I got TMobile, and I bought a G1 phone.. comparing it to my friends Iphone, I have to say I love the G1 much more.. But would there have been a desperate need for competing phones if everyone already bought an IPhone? The current system actually helps reduce the monopoly over the entire industry.

top topics

join