It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless rate rises in nearly all states

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Forty-eight states and the District of Columbia post unemployment rates rise in May, while only one state - Nebraska - registers a decrease.

By Tami Luhby, CNNMoney.com senior writer

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Forty-eight states and the District of Columbia recorded unemployment rate increases in May, the government reported Friday. One state registered a rate decrease, and one state had no rate change.

Several states and regions posted their highest unemployment rate since the report debuted in 1976.

Over the year, jobless rates were higher in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Michigan once again led the nation with a 14.1% jobless rate, up from 12.9% a month earlier, followed again by Oregon at 12.4%, up from 12% in April. Thirteen states have rates above 10%.

Michigan's 1.2 percentage point increase from April was also the largest jump in the country, followed by Rhode Island's 1 percentage point hike. Both states are suffering from the devastation in the manufacturing sector. Michigan, in particular, was hit by Chrysler's plant shutdown early in the month and a series of GM plant closings.

The California, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Florida and Georgia rates were the highest for those states since the report was first issued.

Vermont recorded no change in its rate, while Nebraska's rate declined by 0.1 percentage point to 4.4%. Nebraska and North Dakota tied for the lowest unemployment rates in the nation.

The national unemployment rate rose to a 26-year high of 9.4% in May, up from 8.9% in April.

Some pretty darn disturbing news and further proof that nothing the Administration’s much previously vaunted ‘Economic Team’ is having any real positive impact where it counts on main street.

Worse yet these are simply the official numbers which factor out a varied number of different ‘jobless’ type categories such as those no longer drawing unemployment and no longer looking for work, or those who are working only part time for inability to secure a full time job.

At what point does the Administration and America realize it has to have a larger stronger manufacturing sector to create jobs and wealth and stops pretending printing money to throw at the banks a few select big business and growing the government larger still will create jobs on main street?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1f2740c88eb.jpg[/atsimg]

Numbers simply do not lie, at least not with the effect or ability the politicians do!

Only one state has had decreased unemployment and since all the varying factors aren't taken into consideration compliling the statistics that might not even be true.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I lost my job a couple months ago....we live in a small city...so I don't know how easy it will be to find another one..Its very stressful for my husband these days.
How do these people think we can live if the jobs are being taken away from us?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It's worse than even these numbers indicate, if you include other data that reflects under-employment too. Take Detroit for example, where 30% of the people in that city are on food stamps.
You just know we're headed for some kind of breaking point when entitlements are UP and tax revenue is DOWN.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsosweet
I lost my job a couple months ago....we live in a small city...so I don't know how easy it will be to find another one..Its very stressful for my husband these days.
How do these people think we can live if the jobs are being taken away from us?

I sometimes think the government really feels that there are enough programs like unemployment and the Job Core and Welfare and charities to protect the American citizen from falling into homelessness and hunger but in my humble opinion it's a pipe dream.

Why the government insists on pretending that a virtual economy can still work in the United States without manufacturing that's been given to Asia, and without Customer Service Jobs that have been given to Asia is beyond me.

They act as if they have not a clue in the world that people have to make money on other things than the Stock Market, Real Estate, Commodities, and Securities, Banking, Insurance and Consulting.

I hope things work out well for you and your family in short order.

Best of luck to you and thank you for sharing and posting.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
It's worse than even these numbers indicate, if you include other data that reflects under-employment too. Take Detroit for example, where 30% of the people in that city are on food stamps.
You just know we're headed for some kind of breaking point when entitlements are UP and tax revenue is DOWN.

Clearly the amount of money we have borrowed from abroad shows that the tax base can not pay for the high spending ways of the government.

At what point to they realize they have to invest in real business that really employs people here in America at a living wage, and will there be a creditor left in the world that will loan the government the money to finally do what it should have been doing all along, if it ever gets to what it should have been doing all along?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Actually they do lie, according to some reports the actual numbers of unemployed are MUCH higher because they only count the existing unemployed and those that have applied for unemployment benefits.

They do NOT count the longer term unemployed beyond 6 weeks I believe, nor those who have not applied for unemployment, nor those who have applied for extensions of benefits.

It could be far worse than what they are feeding the public and media.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish

Actually they do lie, according to some reports the actual numbers of unemployed are MUCH higher because they only count the existing unemployed and those that have applied for unemployment benefits.

They do NOT count the longer term unemployed beyond 6 weeks I believe, nor those who applied for unemployment, nor those who have applied for extensions of benefits.

It could be far worse than what they are feeding the public and media.

I am pretty sure it's a lot worse than they are letting on.

The grocery store is far less crowded these days, vehicle traffic on the streets and expressways is notably lighter, shopping malls are quiet, retailers are constantly looking for ways to draw in customers that simply have no money to spend and no credit to spend either.

I think its much worse than they are saying and getting worse still every day friend.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Everybody, just print $ and be merry!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ctjctjctj
Everybody, just print $ and be merry!

The Secret Service has no sense of humor and gets mad when you print your own money, or even use a friend's own printed money!

Private citizens can only print their own money when they work for the private Federal Reserve!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

This is a lot more true. I live in Oregon.. and I'm unemployed, but I'm not likely counted as "Un-employed" by the government. I don't seek benefits because I probably would qualify, and thanks to my parents still having good jobs, I don't need them.

But I'm still un-employed,
And If I get hired I'll probably just be what they call, Under-Employed.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Governments issue UNLIMITED FREE MONEY for themselves and cronies while people slave their whole lives for pennies.

Now that people are jobless and out of money, they are resorting to poaching, stealing and robbing. Lest people harm their fellow people, get everyone to printing m. If 1 million people print m, what can governments do? Nothing!!!

Our aim must be to get as many people to print m, so the whole monetary system crashes to obsolete money. Only then will everyone including govts start embracing full automation to provide food, clothing and shelter freely.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ctjctjctj

Governments issue UNLIMITED FREE MONEY for themselves and cronies while people slave their whole lives for pennies.

Now that people are jobless and out of money, they are resorting to poaching, stealing and robbing. Lest people harm their fellow people, get everyone to printing m. If 1 million people print m, what can governments do? Nothing!!!

Our aim must be to get as many people to print m, so the whole monetary system crashes to obsolete money. Only then will everyone including govts start embracing full automation to provide food, clothing and shelter freely.

I can't advocate the breaking of laws to affect a regime change but I can appreciate your frustration.

It's going to be a difficult process of change I fear but change is a constant in life and in the world and today's troubles too shall pass, and hopefully without people having to resort to things that will get them in trouble.

As a friend I would advice you to be careful when it comes to suggesting certain things as the Federal Government does not require a person to commit a real crime to charge a person with criminal conspiracy but only to talk to at least one other person in regards to committing a crime...

Which is why I know of course that you were joking and would never advocate breaking the law just to show your displeasure with the government and how they are handling the financial crisis.

top topics

join