It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Oregon Inmates Enjoy New Flat-Screen TVs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImAlreadyPsycho
Treating them like a 12 year old does not help correct the behavior.

These people are uneducated and ignorant they don't understand any other way. We are trying to educate them, but for most it's too late they are beyond repair. Have you ever talked to the homeless? Have you ever tried helping them, there's only so much you can do. As they said in midnight express they are broken machines.

Another thing that would work for keeping them in check is to actually follow through with sentences. What is the deal with sentencing someone to 20 years, then letting them out after 10 years on good behavior.

Again this is another public misconception. The sentences giving by the courts is the maximum time they will spend in prison. In order to manage the prison population they are given time off for good behavior. In my state WA prisoners serve thirty days & are given forty days credit. That extra 10 days credit is a carrot to encourage them to behave. If they are caught breaking prison rules, fighting, using illegal substances, disrespecting staff etc that time is taken away and cannot be regained it can only be served. It is illegal to add on to a sentence without processing someone through court. The court system couldn't afford to drag every prisoner back to court for getting in a bloody fight that disrupts the operation of the prison. Thus they give them extra time at the begining of the sentence as a way to manage them get it? If they do actually break a law that can be prossecuted they are sent back to court.

There is another 5 days they can gain called earned time. So, yes in my state they can get up to 45 days credit for only serving 30 days. This is achieved by working a full time job. Thus a 20 year sentence is really only 13.3 years. Those of us who believed otherwise were only mis-informed or mis-led by the media.

Again, it shows that you are weak, and they don't fear the sentence as much.
Another myth - studies show that almost none of them think about the possible sentence while doing a crime. The death penality is irrelevant as none of them think they'll get caught.

Believe it or not murderers have a lower recidivism rate than all other criminals.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Again, it is showing weakness. Weather they are "earned credits" or not. What are we teaching them?

You can go to a place where you are taken better care of than you can provide outside, and your punishment will be shorter than what you are told it will be.

Plain and simple. That is what we are telling them. There is no way to argue against that.

I think more people than you know know about the rules and things like the credits. I know that as Idaho (where I grew up) has a similar system, and New York, where I am now, has a similar system too. The point is, a sentence should be a sentence. 20 is 20, life is life, and death is death.

I will go once again to the education stuff. If they have a mentality of a 12 year old, you need to teach them to be an adult. A 12 year old and a criminal that thinks like one, need discipline to learn from. When you ground a child and then let them off early, they learn you are a pushover. Then you can say the same about an adult with the mentality of a child.

What is the consequence for jumping buck naked from a plane at 25000 feet into a pointed mountain top? DEATH. There is no in between. If you are going to die, you are going to die. You don't get to die half way, then miraculously come back to life.

A 20 year sentence SHOULD be 20 years. There should be no free education. No free cable, meals that would make you not want to eat until you were to the point you would eat the concrete (much like school lunches, something edible and healthy, but that tastes like #).

Hard time should be Hard time.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Perhaps the most disturbing part about this picture is that the flat screen TV is in their cell...which means it can be smashed and used as a weapon! I'm certain we'll be hearing about death by television soon.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I would rather that the inmates enjoy being put to work as opposed to enjoying watching a flat-screen TV.

How about the good-ol chain gang? Fix up some roads and parks dammit!

And give me a State paid for flatscreen~!

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Don't fool yourself into thinking that most criminals have the mentality of a 12 year old. A major computer company I worked for donated a mainframe-class computer system to MCI Framingham, MA., for training in computer skills. The inmates mananged to run a major bookmaking operation off of it; they're not all dummies.

I'm with those who suggest that they work on road crews, etc. But what to do with the evenings? Read books, yes. Watch current events, also yes. Have the TVs set up so that they can only receive Fox News!
As much as you don't like it, they are paid a lowly sum for their work. A TV should be allowed as a purchase. They are not laying around all day watching soaps.

For those that say they cannot afford a new TV, I can empathize. I took my $300 tax cut this year and splurged it on FOOD and bills.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm good all the time,where's my points toward a flat screen? I wonder when they are released do they get to carry the luxury items with them?

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Oleander]

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Well, first, you'd have to hire new guards to guard the workers, you can't use existing employess because they are busy guarding the prison. These new guards are going to need a salary, medical, etc. These prisoners, how would they eat lunch? Sack lunches? Then the people who prepare lunch would have to do extra work, more money, longer hours. Or you could hire extra people to make the lunches. Again, you'd have to pay them. Bus them back to eat at the prison? That just wouldn't be very smart. By the time you got them to the roads and parks, it be time to turn around for lunch! And what about liability? If one escapes and kills someone, I don't care if it's once in 100 years, is going to make that program a political liability. Or was that a rhetorical question? And I agree with spending all this money on luxery items. I say we spend that money on schools and programs to keep these people out of prison in the first place! Every complains after the crime has happened, but no one wants to prevent those crimes. Yes, some people are just bad people who do bad things. But America has created a lot of these criminals from the streets of poverty and racism.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Well, first, you'd have to hire new guards to guard the workers, you can't use existing employess because they are busy guarding the prison. These new guards are going to need a salary, medical, etc. These prisoners, how would they eat lunch? Sack lunches? Then the people who prepare lunch would have to do extra work, more money, longer hours. Or you could hire extra people to make the lunches. Again, you'd have to pay them. Bus them back to eat at the prison? That just wouldn't be very smart. By the time you got them to the roads and parks, it be time to turn around for lunch! And what about liability? If one escapes and kills someone, I don't care if it's once in 100 years, is going to make that program a political liability. Or was that a rhetorical question? And I agree with spending all this money on luxery items. I say we spend that money on schools and programs to keep these people out of prison in the first place!

I used to see chain gangs all the time down south. They seemed to work fine. The two officers with the shotguns are a pretty good deterent from running.

Well, how about instead of spenind money on Flat Screens, they put that money towards getting chain-gangs together.

Or even better yet, as you suggest, put the money into better public schools so that maybe they can help to prevent adding more criminals to the already over-crowded jail system.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Survivor is a good show. Even though it has it's own conspiracy.

all prisioner should be put into a small container. They will be fed intrevenously. Every week they get beat up depending on their crime. If Zuzubar ever got a hold of this country prisioners would not be sitting on their bums watching t.v

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oleander

I'm good all the time,where's my points toward a flat screen? I wonder when they are released do they get to carry the luxury items with them?

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Oleander]

Me freaking too. in fact, i'm so good, i want the state to buy me a lincoln friggin towncar. the new bullet proof ones.

hey, a man can dream, right? I'll settle for another tax cut, but that'll never happen in New York State.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The road gangs are still pretty active here in New England. I remember that Mass. was paying $10/hr to pick up trash along the roads, geared toward giving kids summertime jobs. They couldn't get enough kids to do the jobs. And this was about 5 years ago.

I couldn't think of a worse punishment than taking away my freedom. Beat me, whatever, but the thought of being in prison is the worst thing to me. Just not being able to do whatever, whenever, would drive me nuts. I'd never be a repeat offender. To each his own, though.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The average prisoner should be locked away with a bed, toilet and radio. Newspapers should also be available and books. Education (OU) could also be available as a reward for good behaviour.

Evil bastards such as child abusers and rapists need to be stuck in some dark, dank mediaeval dungeon with a straw mattress, a hole in the floor and ten or so rats for company.

But thats just the Pisky's opinion.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
The average prisoner should be locked away with a bed, toilet and radio..... Evil bastards such as child abusers and rapists need to be stuck in some dark, dank mediaeval dungeon..."

Oh no.... they are all "victims", you know. Put away those people who work hard to afford a Lexus in their driveway. They are the evil bad doers who spent their money on personal luxuries instead of giving it to those poor unfortunate ones in the "streets of poverty".

Now I'll just sit back and wait for the ensuing riot....

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I definately believe in chain gangs etc., but as has been pointed out it's not practical.

We do have prison industries where private companies use prisoners to do menial tasks such as make clothing, (sweat shops), answer phones etc. It's very limited because there are always battles that other companies can't compete with prison labor etc.

Wouldn't it be great if we had them building the freeways, cleaning the streets & sidewalks. Again the union guys making $28 an hour plus another $15 an hour worth of benies & taxes to his employeer would be awefully pissed if they had to compete for freeway projects with guys making $5 an hour. The guys making $12 an hour mowing the grass in the parks wouldn't like too much either.

The DOC budget is one of the biggest in my state. It's not easy to get rid of. No doubt if we spent more on education & health care (specifically mental health care) we'd have a smaller prison population.

Corruption & more corruption. At one time there were prison farms in Washington where prisoners would work & help produce some of the food products that they consumed. The problem was somehow these farms began to sell their milk & beef products outside the prison system for revenue generation to extend their own budgets. Sort of like bilking the taxpayers twice. There was even charges where several prison guards where stealing beef & stocking their private butcher shop. While it was a great idea to have inmates produce their own food as you can see it became a boondoggle.

The most highly coveted phone contracts are with prison systems because all the phone calls are collect and inmates & their families often pay 2 a minute or more to use the phones. With so much money involved there's no doubt kickbacks & corruption all over the place there.

The whole system has become a money making machine rifled with corruption. Nobody complains because they just want crime to go away. While us taxpayers are billed several dollars a meal to feed them, they are getting 25 cent meal and somebody is ripping us off somewhere in the pipeline.

The thing I love the most about the internet is someday all these government agencies will be forced to publish their budgets and we will start doing our own investigations and see the money is spent how it was intended. We are being ripped off big time first by those doing the crimes then again by those we ask to deal with them.

Here's the website of my states DOC.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by outsider]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Evil bastards such as child abusers and rapists need to be stuck in some dark, dank mediaeval dungeon with a straw mattress, a hole in the floor and ten or so rats for company.

But thats just the Pisky's opinion.

That is my opinion too!

Put anyone who knowingly hurts a child in a deep, dank, dark place. The more rats and disease, the better.
To knowingly hurt a child is almost unforgivable.

As for Chain Gangs being impractical, a few hundred years of that practice disputes that. Put those bastards out on the road to at least contribute something to society as opposed to holding up a 7-11. Coruption is everywhere........that is never going to change. But by putting to work people who otherwise are going to be sitting in a cell staring at the wa... I mean flat screen.... makes alot more sense to me.

IMO

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outland
Oh no.... they are all "victims", you know. Put away those people who work hard to afford a Lexus in their driveway. They are the evil bad doers who spent their money on personal luxuries instead of giving it to those poor unfortunate ones in the "streets of poverty".

Uh...I don't know how many rich people YOU meet in prison, but from what I hear about...it isn't very many. Mostly, from what I understand it's mostly people who work hard to put a nuts-and-bolts junkheap in their driveway who end up in any sort of prison at all.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
Uh...I don't know how many rich people YOU meet in prison....

I don't meet people in prison since I am not, nor have ever been, incarcerated. The same applies to the company I keep.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Outland]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outland

Originally posted by KayEm
Uh...I don't know how many rich people YOU meet in prison....

I don't meet people in prison since I am not, nor have ever been, incarcerated. The same applies to the company I keep.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Outland]

Me neither, but listen to this: I appear to plead guilty in a minor traffic incident.

Assst. DA: Plead guilty, we'll suggest $25 fine, continue for 6 mos. without a finding. You have no prior record, right?

Me: Sounds good. No, no prior record (true)

Asst. DA: Judge, we recommend...

CLERK OF COURTS: Judge, we have information on this man!

Judge: Place him in shackles. Put him in a cell.

24 hours later, I am released with no explanation. Case of mistaken identity.

Point is, bad things happen to good people every day.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Jesus Christ, this sort of thing makes my blood boil. That fat tub of lard in the picture should be out picking up litter or getting arse raped in the showers by bigger prisoners, not sitting around drinking frothy latte's and watching the tube.

What is the world coming too, even I haven't got a flat screen tv and I earn a bloody fortune.

Scum, burn the lot of them.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by curme

i think it is a great idea to allow the inmates to earn this if it help keep the prison under control why not
:

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join