It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Former Cole Commander Slams DC Meeting

page: 1
4

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Former Cole Commander Slams DC Meeting


www.military.com

June 18, 2009
Virginian-Pilot

The former commander of the destroyer Cole described a second meeting with administration officials Wednesday as a ruse to provide political cover while paying lip service to families of terrorist victims.

Cmdr. Kirk Lippold, skipper of the Norfolk-based ship when it was attacked while refueling in 2000 in Aden, Yemen, said there was no update given on the stalled prosecution of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri.

Al-Nashiri, who is being held in a military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been charged with masterminding the Cole attack, which killed 17 sailo
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The Cole’s former Commander didn’t mince many words when it came to his views on how he feels the government is cruelly manipulating the victim’s families in this tragedy.

Just as many Americans ponder why the U.S. Government has not made more of an attempt to openly investigate and prosecute 9-11 related crimes in open American courts the Cole’s former Commander appears to be equally outraged if not even more so justice has not been carried out in regarding the attack on his ship.

He is accusing the government of simply using the people and incident for political purposes and not interacting with the citizens and the victims as to what ought to be done, but dictating to the citizens and victims what the government is going to do, which by all accounts so far by everyone involved is pretty much not a thing.

At any point will the War on Terrorism actually include proving terrorist incidents and prosecuting them or will it just be continually used as an excuse to subject Americans to unconstitutional ‘security’ laws, and to indiscriminately attack nations under the guise of a ‘War on Terror’ but with entirely different objectives in mind?


www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

"What they said was that it, like every other case, is under review for which venue would be most appropriate to hold him accountable for his actions," Lippold said, referring to al-Nashiri.

The families met in Washington with the head and deputy of a Justice Department task force addressing Guantanamo issues. Lippold, who attended, criticized Attorney General Eric Holder for not coming. "No political appointee had the moral courage to show up," he said.

Holder spent some time at a similar meeting with victims' families Tuesday.

Lippold said politicians, not Justice Department staffers, would decide how to proceed anyway, and the families' voices wouldn't matter.



It's a strange world where in a Representative Republic the representatives do not actually consider the voice and the will of the people who elect them and they serve.

I wonder if Washington will ever stop playing this game?



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler
 


You must not be aware...


There is no more "War on Terror".... we retired that phrase...



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler
 


You must not be aware...


There is no more "War on Terror".... we retired that phrase...


I remember scanning something released by the Obiminator calling it something more 'politically correct'?

To tell you the truth I don't pay much attention to anything the Presidents ever have to say.

They are talking to the gullible not me?

Was I supposed to be paying attention? There isn't going to be a quiz on this later is there?



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
There would've been more investigation into the Cole incident (which I clearly remember since no one at school believed me that this was just the beginning to an on going conflict in the Mid East) if it weren't for the fact that it seems to be just another false flag which failed to garner enough support for open action in the Mid East.

It seems almost, in hindsight, that the Cole was TPTB feeling the waters (no pun intended) of public reaction to such an attack. The obvious result is that people were neither jarred from their normal slumber nor concerned enough over a minor attack thousands of miles away to consent to any large scale actions.



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
There would've been more investigation into the Cole incident (which I clearly remember since no one at school believed me that this was just the beginning to an on going conflict in the Mid East) if it weren't for the fact that it seems to be just another false flag which failed to garner enough support for open action in the Mid East.

It seems almost, in hindsight, that the Cole was TPTB feeling the waters (no pun intended) of public reaction to such an attack. The obvious result is that people were neither jarred from their normal slumber nor concerned enough over a minor attack thousands of miles away to consent to any large scale actions.


You may very well be right there friend. It all happened to seem around the time of Monica Gate as I recall and the 'tail wagging the dog' period during the waning years of Clinton's Presidency.

At what point though if any do Americans realize that they are constantly being denied facts and justice while being asked to pay a huge price in dollars, liberty and lives for these machinations?

It's pretty sad when even Military Commanders begin to question the veracity of some of the government's claims and the direction politically that is being taken. After all these are the men and women asked to put their lives in harm's way for these things.



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler
 


My father spent 14 years in the military as a professional soldier and officer, I can only imagine what a dedicated and patriotic soldier like the commander of the Cole must be going through.

While the conspiracy is great and touches every strata of government there are still those "true believers" who fight for what's right and believe in what America stands for. These are the types of people who are first to the sacrifice and last to be told.

It must be hard to have built your life and career around a set of beliefs, only to find out that you were lied to and the young kids under your command were murdered while the country you've dedicated your life to does nothing to rectify the situation.

With every passing day the division between those criminals in on the conspiracy and the poor good people operating under false assumptions grows clearer and clearer. One day the line will be drawn for all to see.



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler
 


My father spent 14 years in the military as a professional soldier and officer, I can only imagine what a dedicated and patriotic soldier like the commander of the Cole must be going through.

While the conspiracy is great and touches every strata of government there are still those "true believers" who fight for what's right and believe in what America stands for. These are the types of people who are first to the sacrifice and last to be told.

It must be hard to have built your life and career around a set of beliefs, only to find out that you were lied to and the young kids under your command were murdered while the country you've dedicated your life to does nothing to rectify the situation.

With every passing day the division between those criminals in on the conspiracy and the poor good people operating under false assumptions grows clearer and clearer. One day the line will be drawn for all to see.


It must be both heart breaking and gut wrenching for an Officer and a Gentleman to know you have lost men needlessly and without proper response.

I don't question that there will always be those who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for America and it's percieved good, but I fear the best and the brightest won't always be the ones who step up for that job.

Look at what happened to someone like Pat Tillman. He gave up a promising NFL career to join the Army only to loose his life to friendly fire, then have that covered up, then have his grieving parents have to fight for the truth in his absence.

At what point does the citizen soldier cease being that type of person who aspires to the highest possible common denominator and becomes that person who aspires to the lowest possible common denominator and is just that person who 'fit in' no where else in a principled and discerning world?

It's highly disturbing that the government is falling so out of touch with the citizenry and truly believes they can just keep bullying their way through all these charades.

The truth should always be known, and people should always want to hear it regardless of how difficult a truth it is.



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   


It would seem the story of what happened to the Cole has a bigger hole in it than the once proud ship did on this occassion.



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

At what point does the citizen soldier cease being that type of person who aspires to the highest possible common denominator and becomes that person who aspires to the lowest possible common denominator and is just that person who 'fit in' no where else in a principled and discerning world?



I think it's the same point at which average civilian citizens make the same decision, it's better to follow the herd to slaughter than risk going against the majority. I think everyone reaches that point, where we have to decide to shut up and take the pill or oppose that which we feel to be wrong and unjust.

It seems people like you and I have decided to live free and have accepted the possible consequences for our actions. Personally I feel life as an automaton to be no life at all.

I also think that it's these disillusioned "true believers" who will be of the most benefit to the future. A normal person sees that something is wrong but has no idea of what should replace it. A true believer sees that something is wrong and knows exactly how it should be.



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux
 





It seems people like you and I have decided to live free and have accepted the possible consequences for our actions. Personally I feel life as an automaton to be no life at all.


One of the huge downfalls in the politically correct welfare state is people are not only afraid to think and speak but have been conditioned to see government as a solution to all their problems, as opposed to the person in the mirror as being the solution to all their problems.

Until people free themselves from 'thought' bondage they might as well be picking cotton on a plantation somewhere for they truly are slaves of the patrician class.

Great posts friend!



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler
 


You always seem to have well thought out and well written threads that I enjoy posting in, I do feel your aggravation at the lack of traffic well thought out threads get sometimes.

I think that over the generations we've been conditioned to think of the government as some sort of local pagan god who must be worshiped, obeyed and appeased. It's almost unthinkable to consider operating with no regard to established governmental or societal norms.

This is exactly why we're in the position we're in right now, citizens think they must be subservient to their government when it should be exactly the opposite.



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler
 


You always seem to have well thought out and well written threads that I enjoy posting in, I do feel your aggravation at the lack of traffic well thought out threads get sometimes.

I think that over the generations we've been conditioned to think of the government as some sort of local pagan god who must be worshiped, obeyed and appeased. It's almost unthinkable to consider operating with no regard to established governmental or societal norms.

This is exactly why we're in the position we're in right now, citizens think they must be subservient to their government when it should be exactly the opposite.


Very often the treads that are most popular on ATS are the ones that allow the posters to express the most outrage, fear or optimism.

People are more and more looking for ways to not so much constructively vent but to not destructively vent in ways that lead to them getting in trouble.

I can't blame people for not wanting to fight the establishment and or risk breaking a law especially since I don't advocate breaking the law as a way of correcting the laws.

Ignoring them...maybe, deliberately breaking them no, and in reality most Americans want to be law abiding citizens which is why they do look to vent in non-destructive ways.

It's ironic and funny that currently the Iranians seem to be doing a better job at passionately embracing all the processes that go into a democracy than we here in America have become accustomed too.

We have become a nation where people are increasingly becoming reflections of their government than causing their government to become a relection of them.

It will probably remain that way in Washington as long as Special Interest Groups can deliver big voting blocks and big funding for incumbent politicians who frequently pay little attention to the average citizen's will and instead operate more or less as contractual employees for the special interest groups.

It's a system mired in corruption that the average citizen just can't quite come to terms with and may never be able to sadly.

Time will tell.

Great observations again friend. Thank you.



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler
 


You're recalling incorrectly. The U.S.S. Cole bombing happened on October 12, 2000. "Monicagate" was over and done with two years prior.

Now if you want to talk political conspiracies... Well, does the term "October Surprise" ring any bells? It's a tough election - the boring VP of a rather disgraced President running against the cokehead son of another disgraced president. They're neck and neck with apathy ahead by five...

Who do you think would benefit from a sudden terror attack against the U.S. Navy? The Democrat, or the Republican?

Now the followup. The Bush Administration had been sitting on the "mastermind", al-Rahim al-Nashiri, since 2002. Nothing's been done with him, except (According to hm) being tortured into several false confessions.

So. We want to talk political conspiracies with U.S.S. Cole attack? This is the direction you'll want to follow.



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I personally lean towards conspiracy in regards to the Cole because I remember clearly when it happened. The majority of citizens did not have the Mid East on their minds at all save for Israel. I feel that this attack on the Cole was meant to insight more outrage than it did as people were a lot more comfortable then than they are now.

Also, it sounds just like the other "false flag" attacks we've been hearing about such as the one preceding Vietnam.

Just think back about 10 years and compare people's opinions on the Mid East with their opinions now. These days the Mid East is the root of all evil to most people.

and btw Protoplasmic, we're now "officially" friends lol ( i clicked your friend button)



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler
 


You're recalling incorrectly. The U.S.S. Cole bombing happened on October 12, 2000. "Monicagate" was over and done with two years prior.

Now if you want to talk political conspiracies... Well, does the term "October Surprise" ring any bells? It's a tough election - the boring VP of a rather disgraced President running against the cokehead son of another disgraced president. They're neck and neck with apathy ahead by five...

Who do you think would benefit from a sudden terror attack against the U.S. Navy? The Democrat, or the Republican?

Now the followup. The Bush Administration had been sitting on the "mastermind", al-Rahim al-Nashiri, since 2002. Nothing's been done with him, except (According to hm) being tortured into several false confessions.

So. We want to talk political conspiracies with U.S.S. Cole attack? This is the direction you'll want to follow.


Thanks for the additional background. The political process in our nation sure has become a sham as you so adeptly point out.

Yet it does not seem to be one that is just perpetrated by the President or Vice President, but endless Congressional Committees and Pentagon planners who conspire to keep matters such as these away from a Judiciary that is appointed and sits for life on the Federal level and is far less beholden to policy and public image.

While I don't disagree with what appears to be an accusation that like 9-11 American politicians and their corporate associates carried it out and not radical Mideast Islamic Fundamentalists acting on their own accord, it's the Congress and the Senate who keep aiding and abetting and furthering those crimes instead of trying to unearth and uncover them.



posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
I personally lean towards conspiracy in regards to the Cole because I remember clearly when it happened. The majority of citizens did not have the Mid East on their minds at all save for Israel. I feel that this attack on the Cole was meant to insight more outrage than it did as people were a lot more comfortable then than they are now.

Also, it sounds just like the other "false flag" attacks we've been hearing about such as the one preceding Vietnam.

Just think back about 10 years and compare people's opinions on the Mid East with their opinions now. These days the Mid East is the root of all evil to most people.

and btw Protoplasmic, we're now "officially" friends lol ( i clicked your friend button)


I returned the favor and put you on my 'friends' list too. It's nice to have friends!

It wouldn't surprise me if the Cole was also a False Flag and clearly a lot of propoganda both governmental, and religious/cultural has gone into shaping a hostile attitude towards Muslims and Islam and Arabs in the past decade.

From the start of civilization today tribes, nations and cultures are typically united in huge 'public works' projects.

I sure wish our politicians would rather build a pyramid than engage in these bankrupting wars based on ignorance, hatred and prejudices they exploit in these bankrupting fashions.

Sooner or later something has to give and when it does it's bound to be even uglier than it already is.

Thanks my friend.



new topics

top topics



 
4

log in

join