It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alphabet soup, Intenet slang and other shortcuts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It is not a problem only on this site, but I feel that the numbers of abreviation and internet slang are growing. For most of you those language shortcut are probably very familliar but for some newer members or people whose native language is not english it can sometime be hard to follow a discussion.

A little history of the internet slang here on wiki

Is there a repository here of all the internet slang used is the various forums. Some places like the 911, UFO and survival forums seems to have their own expressions.

I use

www.urbandictionary.com...

and

en.wiktionary.org...:Internet_slang

but I still find some that are missing. Also, some use military or government alphabet soup so if someone has a lexicon of those it could be nice to some.

I'm pretty sure i'm not the first one to ask about that so if I'm adding a useless thread fell free to remove it and punish me how you see fit.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by grandnicAlso, some use military or government alphabet soup so if someone has a lexicon of those it could be nice to some.

Well I can help with the Alphabet Soup... but really if you take any one of them like say NGA... and simply put it in google you will get...

www1.nga.mil...

I call these guys Space Spooks

As to a lexicon I have been working on a collection of the agencies that collect intel on us. Hey turn about is fair play, right? Makes you wonder just how many spooks we really need, and just what they do with all that data but here is what I have so far..

Information Gatherers Page 01

Information Gatherers Page 02

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
As to a lexicon I have been working on a collection of the agencies that collect intel on us. Hey turn about is fair play, right? Makes you wonder just how many spooks we really need, and just what they do with all that data but here is what I have so far..

Information Gatherers Page 01

Information Gatherers Page 02

Very nice site you have here. I'm learning much. It's no wonder with all those agencies that the defence budget in the States is bigger than the entire budget of my country.

And yet, they failed to stop the ''terrorists'' and catch bin Laden ... I wonder

[edit on 20-6-2009 by grandnic]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandnic
And yet, they failed to stop the ''terrorists'' and catch bin Laden ... I wonder

What's to wonder?

Osama bin Laden's Bush family Business Connections

Money connections between Bush Republicans and Osama bin Laden go way back and the political and economic connections have remained unbroken for 20 years. And what appears to be a "new" alliance with Pakistan is merely a new manifestation of a decades-long partnership in the heroin trade.

www.fromthewilderness.com...

Two-time Pulitzer Prize winner and author of the national bestseller Ghost Wars, Steve Coll presents the story of the Bin Laden family’s rise to power and privilege, revealing new information to show how American influences changed the family and how one member’s rebellion changed America.

www.newamerica.net...

How Reagan Armed Saddam with Chemical Weapons
www.counterpunch.org...

Reagan Played Decisive Role in Saddam Hussein's Survival in Iran-Iraq War
www.commondreams.org...

We create our own enemies... set them up then take them out when they are no longer 'in favor'

Remember Noriega of Panama?

Noriega worked with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) from the late 1950s to the 1980s, and was on the CIA payroll for much of this time, although the relationship had not become contractual until 1967.[4]

Nonetheless, he retained U.S. support until February 4, 1989, when the Drug Enforcement Administration indicted him on federal drug charges.

en.wikipedia.org...

We sell arms to these guys, get them to help us, then turn tables on them and blast them to the stone age... then we send in Halliburton to rebuild

Its all good for business, N'est-ce pas mon ami?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Yeah, very good bussiness indeed. I read a book about the Bush family a few years ago by french journalist Eric Laurent. If half of what was written there is true we live in a sad world. So the ''wonder'' I was having was more like '' I wonder why no one is saying a thing about that'' ... but then again, I probably know the answers to that.

And by the way, the site you sent as a lot of very interessting info, very well done, if it's yours you have my congratulations.

I never read about that russian space weapon platform, very nice info, the russians surely have lots of interesting stuff buried in their archive.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Is there a repository here of all the internet slang used is the various forums. Some places like the 911, UFO and survival forums seems to have their own expressions.

Well on that...

Here at ATS when you reply you will see this...

"Please avoid using "TXT Messaging Shorthand" for words when posting on AboveTopSecret.com and AbovePolitics.com, such as "4" for the word "for" or "u" for the word you. Common "Internet Slang" acronyms such as "LOL" and "ROFLMA" are acceptable, but should still be used sparing"

I tend to skip over posts full of shorthand. If they don't have time to type it out, I don't have time to listen. You can always ask them to translate for you into regular English

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I know that the internet shortcuts are not used too much in here because of the T&C but some forums have their own shortcuts. A few years ago I had some interrogation with things like TPTB or SHTF and others like that.

*TPTB : The Power that be ... i.e. The NWO, Shadow government (with or without the aliens), Freemasons or whatever else you think are trying to take control of the world

*SHTF : # hit the fan ... i.e. when modern society crash, when all hell breaks loose, civil war, disasters or alien invasion or new album by Britney

I was reading a thread one morning and some new members didn't know the meaning of those, it gave me the idea of starding a thread in here to try to post all of those expressions. There should be a big glossary or lexicon button somewhere for the newbies.

Also the links posted above by Zorgon about all the agencies is very good. If someone have a place for all the military's jargons and abbreviations it would be very nice.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Very nice indeed. Thank you that was exactly what I was thinking of.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Glad to be of service. 1st time I feel useful around here.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
how are these?

Excellent
can't star you in here though

The DoD one comes in PDf form for the library Nice. Did not have that

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

It is not a problem only on this site, but I feel that the numbers of abreviation and internet slang are growing. Some places like the 911, UFO and survival forums seems to have their own expressions.

Hi grandnic,

You may be interested in my Free 9/11 Researcher Starter Pack here on ATS.

Of particular relevance is the section entitled "Relevant abbreviations".

That section features an outline of many of the abbreviations that appear in discussions of 9/11.

As I commented in the introduction to that glossary:

Members of the Intelligence community appear to love TLAs (“Three Letter Acronyms”).

So do conspiracy theorists.

Where the two communities overlap, as in discussions of 9/11 conspiracy theories, the number of acronyms floating about can be quite stunning.

The introduction to that section also includes links to several other useful glossaries and lists of relevant abbreviations.

Hope you find it useful.

All the best,

Isaac

new topics

top topics

join