It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eurofighter boss: nations free to market early fighters for export

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Eurofighter nations have been given approval to offer early production examples of the strike aircraft to potential export users through government-to-government agreements, with nations such as Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania among potential takers

www.flightglobal.com...

thats how there gonna do it , sell the tranche 1 to make room for tranche 3 , and sell them off cheaper so more places get them -

`would you like an F16 sir?`

` no thanks i can get typhoon for the same money`

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
why not get both?

if i was a European nation i would be mixing and matching, it is worth the extra effort

one thing tho

the f16 c/d is about 18million US $

and the Eurofighter is about 111million US $ (69million pounds)

so actually you could get 6 or so f16c/d for the price of 1 eurofighter

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 19-6-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

i think you`ll find the F16 cost is alot more than you put - the recent sale of the refurbed F-16 A block 20 to taiwan was $25 miilion each.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

true, its just an estimation though

but your right, the source says "1998 dollars" for the f16c/d

also the conversion charts from pounds to dollars change often and my conversion may be off as well

so + or - some

but really though, i would invest in both, and maybe a few f35 and Russian variants for good measure

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Not all that surprising. If they could sell off Trache 1 it could allow greater Tranche 3 purchases.

However, unless they are selling the Block 5 version there are very few A/F out there that have the operational budget to fund a pure A2A fighter (Japan is one but I doubt they would settle for used Tranche 1 airframes when they can get a more capable variant)

On the otherhand did any airfroce leave thier initial Typhoons unmodified?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I wonder if this is down to the pressure from the British, alongside common sense in the changing world.

BAE and the British have already done the deal for Typhoons with Saudi Arabia (with the potential for more) and the impending competition for India's acquisition of over 100 modern fighters will further help the British and other nations to reduce their numbers.

According to the Sunday Times (UK) the main contenders for the Indian deal are Typhoon and F18. The Sunday Times may / may not be a reliable source, but I give the link anyway...

Link to Sunday Times Typhoon article

Regards

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

nah there all being set at block 5 with some A2G capability

edit:

from all accounts 1 of the 4 countries doesn`t want AESA , whilst the others do - so its s sticking point atm - CEASER is ready to be fitted (trials complete)

[edit on 22/6/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Trache 1 was the smallest tranche and I belive all the 2 seaters were in tranche 1 which would still be needed so there is a limited number they could sell. Since the UK has effectivly sold 25 Tranche 2 I suspect it would be a while before the UK could spare any trache 1 for sale.

new topics

top topics

join