It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big police operation planned for Stonehenge summer solstice

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reading
Wow it is seriously messed up people making excuses for police brutality.

I was also at the G20 protest's kettled for hour's for no apparent reason ,I also remember seeing ian thomlinson on the floor after being pushed by a nazi-esque cop.

Fact of the matter is if on that day NOT one single policeman was present it would have been an amazing day, The atmosphere was like nothing i had seen before.

I went by myself and ended up talking to a loads of like minded people, the atmosphere was amazing

If the police had not been there it would of been one giant street party/carnival.

Untill the police started kettling and hitting people it was amazing.

What do you expect people to do when you act like that towards them?

BooHoo one window got smashed! what about the bodies of hundred's of INNOCENT people? But no the media concentrated on the window of a bank getting smashed!

It worked nicely though judging by some people's attitude's on this thread

Hi Reading, although my opinion maybe differed from yours about some of the events of the G20 protests, i did however enjoy your reporting and input....so a question if i may....

I'm not blinkered enough to see that the mahority of the protesters would have stayed peacefull if there had been no police presense that day, but what about the ones that were indeed there for trouble?

You can't deny that there were elements, as there always are that go to cause mayhem and damage. They are not there for a party or carnival atmosphere, and often drag innocent protesters into the chaos.

Can you not at least agree that the police were needed there for the likes of this minority?

Like i say, i agree with you that a lot went on that day that was completely unneccessary, i just can't accept that some actions by protesters should have been left alone.

CX.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by funky monk

I dunno, I think it will be a repeat of the Battle of Beanfield Hill if they are not careful.
Peaceful people make such convenient punching bags.
www.youtube.com...

Footage starts about 4 minutes in.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by hadriana]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

At the end of the day these "New Age Travellers" (and it was a bit of a fashion statement in 1985) had to be tackled. The Battle of the Beanfield at Stonehenge was down to these New Agers insisting on holding a festival (which over the years had become increasingly anarchic and destructive) on the site of Stonehenge, a prehistoric monument.

I happen to think that the police were heavy handed - but I am sure the Stones had seen worse. In defence of the police, they were charged with preventing these people from breaching the exclusion zone (legally created) and that is what they did. The New Agers knew that the police could not let them in.

Hard core travellers are bad news for communities and bring a host of problems, not least organised crime. Most New Age Travellers have gone back to their day jobs.

Regards

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
These sites are sacred gifts to HUMANITY!

For Phelps sake, they belong to the people!

Anyone damaging the monument deserves an ass kicking, not the peaceful partiers.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Well, before anyone starts panicking, old bill will be there in more force than usual, but hey, that's cos it's a weekend: there'll be more people. I was @the beanfield: 17yrs old, just hitched there with Rainbow Paul; got away with only a thump by hiding in the hedge old bill came through. Walked over fields to Avebury. Yeah, it was truly f**ked up, but they've been pretty gentle these last few years. Still, I miss the days when their appearance would prompt a shout of "Pigs on site!" & people would surround them to make sure they didnt dare try to arrest anyone for selling cannabis &/or hallucinogens. Free festivals dont need policing, as was amply demonstrated @the 86 impromptu gathering @High Wycomb when the brewcrew were confronted by hundreds of people over a spate of theft: people took their stuff back & no violence ensued. Similar @Castlemoreton. We are not Americans: nobody is going to pull a gun & kill people unless they themselves are in serious fear. Old bill knows that too. The twattings we got in the 80s were politically motivated; the last thing this govt needs is another brutality scandal so close after a pounding @recent elections. Go, enjoy yourself! It's a bit bizarre cos there's no agenda: all the better to smell you with my dear! Oh f*k, blown my cover! Ok I'm there. Come on in, the grass is greener/water warm etc. & be amazed you can get online @such an old place!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Yeah i must admit. My post is pretty one sided....My fault

I agree there does need to be a certain amount of police presense,But not hundred's of cops dressed in riot gear who have been breifed for week's and training for more.

I think that was the main problem at the G20 the police had been conditioned over a period of week's, Superiors telling them to get ready for the major trouble's at the protests, And as soon as one thing sparked the whole fire went up!

I would have alot more time for the police if they were like the police of old my mum and others told me about, The one's that know you by first name basis and actaully care about what is happening in the community, police that are not trying to hit an arrest qouta for the month.

I have met some amazing police officers like that even when i got arrested for writing on the vigil for ian thomlinson one of the policeman dragged me aside and told me how he thought the law was an arse! (exact words)

He asked me what i was doing with the people who i was with and that i seemed like a clever lad,I have more respect for that guy than a crazy batton weilding asshat!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

I think some people like to think of them as dead sites.
Same with temple of Zeus. If people want to worship there, still, they are not dead.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Mexcuse, d'ou vous? Desole je lepar a deux filles françaises. Je ne peux pas penser dans ah f*k 2 languages! Just get here. The pigs seem to be keeping the roads open ok. Its cold: bring a coat & some water unless you want to pay £2/cup tea.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Sorry bout previous: im wanchored! Mods please delete if offended. Translate: you're missing a proper party if you not here! Just heard: cars not cool- share taxi from nearest town. & bring water!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
Sorry bout previous: im wanchored! Mods please delete if offended. Translate: you're missing a proper party if you not here! Just heard: cars not cool- share taxi from nearest town. & bring water!

Damn i wish i was there! ill definatly catch next year mate! have a good one for me!

Have a drink on me and a smoke and a line.......of text on ATS

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Well, I am glad that it all went off OK and a record event too.

The participants behaved themselves. Well done. Civilised behaviour at an ancient monument.

Link to BBC

Regards

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
It sounds like the old story of the rotten few spoiling it for the innocent majority.I hope your police over there can make the distinction and not run amok.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Reading

It went off a treat! Shame about the clouds but such a big happy crowd was excellent! Next year... Yeah, it'll probably not be as big but it'll be sweet anyway. Make it a personal commitment.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I'm not blinkered enough to see that the mahority of the protesters would have stayed peacefull if there had been no police presense that day, but what about the ones that were indeed there for trouble?

Can you not at least agree that the police were needed there for the likes of this minority?

Yes, because the majority should always be punished for the minority. The police on site should be allowed to treat everyone as criminals because a few among a given crowd are intending to commit criminal acts.

In a crowd of several thousand where only a few hundred (at most) intend to be disruptive, everyone else should be treated as criminals.

We're all guilty until proven innocent. Just because we happened to go to a protest were a minority were violent.

Sorry, I don't go for that kind of "justice".

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Cheers and that was all I was trying to do, identify the fact that people will be causin grief there and it just ain't really the place for it.

I've been a lot of festivals and people are comparing this to Glastonbury.. the difference being those festivals are designed for people who want to spend the week gettin wrecked!

Eye of Horus, greetings to you too! Think I'll give the bass ale a miss though.. more of a lager man

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join