It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Olympics have always been a very touchy political and warfare subject, but I think none will be more contrevorsial than the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

We all know how difficult the decision was, considering how China's human rights record is not pretty. It is also not known as one of the "good" nations.

Given that, what would be the result of the Olympics in Beijing? Will it strengthen China's political influence, in addition to the obvious economic impacts? And what about security? Will the rest of the world trust China to protect the athletes?

A hypothetical situation: say the U.S. goes to war with China. How does it affect the Olympics? Remember, this is hypothetical, I just want to know how the Olympics are affected by such things.

C'mon, the Olympics is the grandest stage of them all!

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
if there was a war, china would probably act like a huge pussy and bar any americans from competing. they would also probably bar american media companies from attending either. damn sons of bitches probably r too afraid that one loss to an american would be seen as a symbol by the world. we should've dropped the nuke on them during the korean war. that would've saved us from a lot of trouble.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
^^ that prolly jsut pissed off a majority of the asians on here.

see thats the type of arrogance that different ethnicities have to put up with their neighbors

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
SilQ
Thats not the greatest of comments??
Please add to the disscussion in a proper manner,

--------
On topic,

Intresting question and one thing comes to mind,
I remember we they had the european song contest (Uk members will know of this lol)
The UK and US and others were in the mist of ridding
Slaberdam Malokivich (SP) And half the countrys refused
to join in the song contest due to the UK/US envolvment,.Im sure if war broke out with China
The US would not send there people to the event,
For there own saftey..

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Hey,SweatMonica,
Just take it easy!The 2008 Olympics is awarded to the Chinese people not the Gov.At least i know that the average Chinese definitely welcome the game to be held in beijing in the first time.Everything is well planed and made creditable progress in the past a few monthes by the Chinese.
It is really have nothing to do with Human Rights...Just see how the US soldiers abuse the Human Rights in Iraq...ZZZ...
Or just because US lost a chance to earn a profit?The Game is no long profitable,you know.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by omkao
Hey,SweatMonica,
Just take it easy!The 2008 Olympics is awarded to the Chinese people not the Gov.At least i know that the average Chinese definitely welcome the game to be held in beijing in the first time.Everything is well planed and made creditable progress in the past a few monthes by the Chinese.
It is really have nothing to do with Human Rights...Just see how the US soldiers abuse the Human Rights in Iraq...ZZZ...
Or just because US lost a chance to earn a profit?The Game is no long profitable,you know.

Lost a chance to earn a profit? Does anyone remember how much money the city of Atlanta gained in the 1996 Cenntennial Olympic Games?

top topics

join