It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "North Korean Missile Crisis" Update Thread.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Due to the increasing number of threads being started on the North Korean threats, I have decided to make an update thread dedicated just to the subject at hand. Below is a brief history of the most recent events.

There are sanctions in place that are an attempt by world powers to curb the weapons programs of North Korea (DPRK) and prevent the further proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD's). These sanctions have been in place for years. A list of the sanctions up to 2007 are listed in the PDF link below.

North Korea: Economic Sanctions and U.S. Department of Treasury Actions 1955-October-2007

The autumn of 2006 saw the first Thermo Nuclear test done by North Korea. This test was heavily condemned and mostly thought to be a ploy at gaining leverage in the global community. DPRK was trying to force the global community into lifting sanctions.

North Koreans Say They Tested Nuclear Device

In 2007 North Korea began what seemed to be a disarmarment of it's nuclear program and asked in return that the U.S. remove it from the State Sponsors of Terror list. With inteligence that showed a cooperation of North Korea in it's nuclear program the U.S. removed DPRK from the list in October of 2008.

U.S. Declares North Korea Off Terror List

In April of 2009 North Korea, under the guise of a satallite launch, test fired a long range missile. Though the launch was succesfull the missile failed to reach orbit as shown in the article and satallite images on the link below.

North Korea Missile Test: Caught on Camera

Even though the missile failed to perform as the DPRK anticipated, it did however, give data that could be used in furthering their weapons programs. The U.N. Security Council condemed the test launch and expanded further financial sanctions against the DPRK, as well as threatened to expand the sanctions even more if they continued with their weapons programs.

UN security council condemns North Korean rocket launch

In response to the U.N. security council's sanctions and in an attempt at detering furthur sanctions DPRK in a defiant move tested a Thermo Nuclear Device that has shown to be equivilent of the 13 to 18 kiloton nuclear bomb named "little boy" that destroyed Hiroshima, Augus 6, 1945.

North Korea tests nuclear weapon 'as powerful as Hiroshima bomb'

Once again the U.N. Security council "condemned" the weapons tests of DPRK and threatened even more sanctions.

UN Security Council condemns North Korea nuclear test

In response to the condemnation this time, DPRK begins test firing multiple short range missiles in a show of force and opposition. This move further heightens the global tensions.

Defiant North Korea fires rockets, blames U.S.

In further posturing and antagonization of the U.S., DPRK formally withdraws from the 1953 armistice agreement that ended the fighting of the Korean War. This move alone could be taken as a delcaration of war.

North Korea threatens war as it tears up 50-year armistice

Due to all of the tests being conducted by North Korea, and because of DPRK's blatant defiance of international treaties and law, the U.N. Security council enacted a resolution consisting of further and more strengthened sanctions. These sanctions included search and seizure clauses pertaining to the shipping of materials that could be used in the building of WMD's.

UN approves 'unprecedented' sanctions against North Korea over nuclear test

In response to these unprecedented sanctions, DPRK has begun the preparations for a third Thermo Nuclear test.

South Korea Braces for 3rd Nuclear Test by North

To compound the issue North Korea has also begun setting up yet another long range missle that could potentially reach the Hawaii islands. This causes the U.S. to begin preparations for a possible ICBM attack on its soil. The U.S. has begun mobilizing and implementing new anti-ballistic missle technology in Hawaii.

US prepares for N.Korean missile launch on Hawaii

Now to make matters worse the first test of the new sanctions is coming about as a boat possibly containing materials that could be used to build WMD's is currently being tracked by the U.S. military.

U.S. Military Tracking North Korean Ship Suspected of Proliferating Missiles, Nukes

Now the clock is ticking. As tensions are rising the speed at which this flexing of muscles occurs is beging to quicken as well. This is most definately reminiscent of the Cuban Missle Crisis. This time people are not sure that diplomacy will work in the end. The ever defiant North Korea is showing no sign of backing down. DPRK in almost every MSM statement for all practical purposes and sometimes out right threatens war on the U.S.. These threats cannot be taken lightly. As it stands now there is little recourse but war.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by LeaderOfProgress]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I would like to save this post slot for further editing of the thread if the admins do not mind.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
If I missed anything in my synopsis/timeline please feel free to let me know. I want to try to keep this as accurate as possible.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Well presented thread.I,d star and flag except i,m on mobile.Something you did miss though was the Korea news and updates thread that had been posted a couple of weeks back.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gallifreyan medic

I looked for it but couldn't find one. Well anyways here is a good detailed timeline with solid references.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Here's a latest article to give the thread a bump.

[size=05pt]US keeps eye on NK ship

NK crisis update.

A US Navy destroyer is tracking a North Korean ship possibly carrying banned cargo as part of international efforts to enforce UN sanctions against Pyongyang, according to a US defense official.

[edit on 19/6/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by James Random

Nice addition and contribution to the post. Thanks for your help.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by gallifreyan medic

What kind of mobile are you on I can't even reply to posts on my blackberry I thought it was supposed the SHIZNIT.... Sorry for being off Topic...

I will keep an eye on Korean affairs to see if i find anything you can add thats factual obviously we can't add the rouge missile in california

top topics

join