It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extra-Terrestrial Origin of Life

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
These bacteria are essentially biological magnets.

That would mean that once in space, they could use magnetic attraction to pull or push themselves towards or away from a planetary body (to an extent).

This would come in handy for those freak asteroid/meteor strikes, not just for getting to another planet - but for getting back to the planet they just got blown off.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Based on what you said and taking the whole dogma into account I wonder if they were pulling a Cylon maneuver and trying to breed on their own in secret away from their Reptilian masters by trading tech secrets with us in return for underground breeding labs and genetic material...

Whoa... maybe that'll be my next book...

(and no, I don't subscribe to that stuff... I'm a hopeful skeptic)

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by whiskeypoet

I think if we could quantify the effects the moon, sun and earths own gravity has on the body (human physiology), we could duplicate gravity and tidal forces artificially in a 'space ship'. Perhaps women would all have to reside in one part of the ship where these artificial forces were in play.

It would also be an interesting study to find out if space flight has some effect on sperm production and vitality. Perhaps the data is already our there.

IRM

[edit on 19/6/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Interesting... I know the current idea is that the ability evolved due to lower levels of oxygen... hey wait a minute...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I think our best bet to get data on that would be to get some old washed up cosmonaut toasted. We'll start with good Vodka and the 1980 Olympic Hockey finals...

Seriously, given that we will get out there on our own without some easy anti gravity and reverse engineered wunder-tech we have a lot to learn.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiskeypoet

Interesting... I know the current idea is that the ability evolved due to lower levels of oxygen... hey wait a minute...

These creatures contain chains of magnetically interacting crystals (magnetosome crystals), which they use for navigation (magnetotaxis).

Theoretically, the efficiency of these crystal would be increased in zero-gravity.

A lack of oxygen would prolong the effective lifespan of these crystals.

Edit:

To function optimally, magnetosome crystals must be strung in a straight chain inside the cell - this sums their magnetic moments.

Should they ever find themselves in space, this chain structure would also allow the magnetosomes to attract or repel themselves towards or away from a planet...

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Same story different source.

Microbiologists find magnetic bacteria in Lonar lake

Microbiologists in Maharashtra have found 'magnetic bacteria' in the ancient Lonar lake formed due to meteorite impact, a finding that might open a vista for searching extra-terrestrial life.

The magnetotactic bacteria, which are object of interest of scientists from various fields world over, were isolated from the lake in Maharashtra's Buldana district which is the only impact crater formed in basaltic rock.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
It turns out that we have been testing martian meteorites for magnetosomes for quite some time now.

I have located a Paper on the testing of one such meteorite;

The testing was able to confirm the presence of crystals with properties unique to magnetotactic bacteria, namely high purity and an unusually fine-grained size distribution.

The results were not conclusive, but this goes to show that scientists are now and have been testing for magnetosome chains as a method of detecting life...

Here is the paper - it is .pdf format:

Magnetic tests for magnetosome chains in Martian meteorite ALH84001

*If someone finds out that they are also testing for photonic crystals to detect signs of extra-terrestrial life, please let me know.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

And a million to one perhaps as a chance of an earth ever happened again

At a million to one odds (which, on a cosmic scale, equates to like one in ten), there would be millions of Earths out there....given the number of stars we know of in the Universe....

Kind of humbling....no?

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
OP... You have a great Theory there and i have to admit that i thought about this 5 or 6 years ago.... that we came from outer space as micro-organisms on a piece of rock and transformed from there.... possibly from Mars or another planet which was in meltdown! It's inconcievable to imagine this happening, after all there are plenty of craters around the Earth.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

You know what I love about the posters who came to this thread? They are for the most part the same guys who get me thinking and researching.

Your question about photonic crystals is fascinating. I'm reading about them now (I never realized the opals I bought my wife were that cool

Just curious, do you have any theories on their connection to early life or panspermia?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well, I couldn’t find anything really definitive on a connection between the human menstrual cycle and the moon. Appears to be coincidence...

Several researchers over the years have claimed to detect lunar rhythms in menstrual onset and such; others see nothing. Biologist Winnifred Cutler, in a 1980 paper, found that 40 percent of women in a random sample showed "a preponderance of menses onsets in the light half-cycle of the month" (the two weeks centered on the full moon). To me this suggests 60 percent of the women didn't show any coincidence. If there really is a moon-menstruation link, you couldn't prove it by me.

The opossum has a 28 day cycle as well, but that is about it for the animal kingdom.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join