It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am a Military Recruiter and would like to clear up some misconceptions.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Before we begin: I have been the Navy Recruiter in Charge outside of a large city now for two years, prior to that I was a sea going sailor for eight, spending a vast majority of my time stationed in Japan. I would say that I am quite qualified to author this thread.

Now, throughout a lot of the posts I read on a daily basis, a lot of bad info is presented in regards to Military Recruiters on both a National and Local level. We are made to look evil constantly and a lot of false truths are presented, on this I am sure we can agree. But ya know what? It's getting old, and if I can get just one of my fellow ATS'rs to see the light, well then, I'll be satisfied.

Let's Deny Ignorance folk's shall we?

- We do not force your child/cousin/BFF/sibling/etc... to enlist. That's illegal. It's an all voluntary military, and has been for a while now.

- We do not lie to get people to enlist. When I say we, I say it as a whole. Is there one or two out of 100 that do? Of course! But then again, I'm almost certain that I can apply the same bad apple ratio to a number of other things people hold near and dear, like Religious figures, Teachers, Law Enforcement officers, Senators, Representatives, Doctors...I mean, I could continue, but I think you get the point. I can apply the same negative logic against most other people/professions that is used against "those no good lying recruiters". So no, we don’t lie. If a recruiter gets caught they get released from recruiting and reduced in rank

- Does the military accept convicted felons? This one is a little tricky because each branch has it's own requirements, but they are not that far off from each other. But lets define a felon. Most people initially think about murder or dealing crack to a baby or something along those lines. Not true! Those statistics people see include a number of things. For example, in the Navy if you charged with a felony and it is dismissed/dropped/sealed or reduced guess what? It's still considered a felony. Also the Military uses what is called a "Whole Person Concept". Let me explain: A young man/woman has a minor felony, i.e. a joint on school property (that's a felony in some instances) when they were 16 and has not been in any trouble since, but you graduated high school got an associates and scored high on the ASVAB. Are you saying its wrong or dangerous for this person to serve? I don’t think so. Would any other company turn this person down? Probably not. Do we accept convicted murderers, pedophiles and rapists. NO. And if they do get in it's an error and promptly handled upon discovery.

- The military is hurting for people, and not meeting their goals. Again not true! You see, thanks to our economy more and more people are turning to the Military for financial stability and benefits. As a matter of fact, the Military met their goals for FY09 a while back. Proof? Here you go! The eligibilty standards are pretty high at the moment, you better score a 50 or higher on your ASVAB, have very little civil involvement and be in top shape if you want in. So are standards being loward in recruiting? No, only our goals

-The military is full of dullards and morons. Again, not true. Perhaps back in the day, the average intelligence was a little sub par, but no longer. In fact, you would be surprised at how many high school seniors, undergraduates and Registered Nurses do not know the meaning of the word maul or variable, or can remember basic algebra. The largest part of my day is spent turning away applicants who cannot pass the Enlisted Screening Test (Pre-Asvab). I mean, I seem some what educated, right?

(continued next post)

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Juston]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I am a Military Recruiter and I would like to clear up some misconceptions. Continued.

- We are allowing handicapped people to enlist. Seriously, people on these very forums have said this. I mean come on! Do people really believe this. We are probably one of the few organizations left in the country who are not required to adhere to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Again, you had better be in the best shape of your life. So please quit grasping to straws when trying to defame us.

I could go on but I am tired. Besides, I have high school seniors to force into conscription tomorrow.

But seriously, if you do have questions I’ll answer them for you, and I promise not to lie.

If you like what I had to say, or I helped you deny ignorance, Don’t let this thread die! Let others know!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Thank you for taking the time to explain your thoughts and feelings on your job and your duty. I will see if I can get our close, personal friend who is a parent to 2 older teens - 1 with severe Azburgers (sp) Syndrome and the other with extreme ADHD complex to come to the forum to relay her thoughts on the onslaught of recruiter activity to her household.

+35 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Since when do recruiters not lie? You are trained to lie. You are trained in lies of omission, and misrepresentation.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

No problem, and if they do come here, I will offer my sincere apologies for the isolated incident they experienced.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
what is your quota per month,,,
i met an army recruiter,,,, and was shocked when he said 2 a month and that he,,, and others had much trouble meeting and surpassing that

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Just like all soldiers are trained to kill right
I'm sure you went through the same training I did, thus speak from experience.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by shortywarn

Two recruits for a station manned by four people.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Juston

A few months ago I remember watching a report on CNN talking about how over 50% of the eligible population for military service is either too fat or on drugs. Wouldn't joining the military solve both of those issues? If you are too fat or on drugs, the military has their way of addressing that by making you do lots of exercise and going cold turkey. There are reasons why everyone should have to join the military but it is nice to know that people in this country still have their options.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jitombe

Very true. Like I said, we turn away a lot more than we accept.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Juston,

I'm glad you're here, taking the time to clear some air about recruiters; and most importantly, military enlistment.

I grew up a military brat, moving all the time. Lived overseas, these seas, those seas...every three years (longer when my father extended, like while in Italy).

Of course, I married military (didn't know anything else, civilians scared me). My DH is a (formally active) Marine (as he says, "once a Marine, always a Marine" - unless you get kicked out...lol).

My son just finished Navy Boot Camp in January and is currently in training in FL.

I'm so proud to have long military roots. I encourage all young adults to join. I've never met anyone who's regretted serving in the military.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

My pleasure, as I said, as long as one person walks away with a better understanding, I'll be satisfied.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Hi Juston,

If I could give some advice to persons looking to join the military:

If your looking to join the military make sure that the job aka career field aka MOS aka AFSC that you choose is the job you are really interested in. If you don't care what your doing in the Military then go in "OPEN GENERAL". "OPEN GENERAL" means that the branch you join will put you where they need you. Basically: make sure you want to do that job and that you are signed on paperwork to do said job. You can research the jobs online and also find a squadron, flight, brigade, etc... and meet people who do that job, have the recruiter take you on base to ask them questions, and get to know the job before you sign. Read about experiences of basic training, job training and benefits before you ship off to basic.

Finally: Read everything before you sign it...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sourdiesel

Very well said, and I agree. People would be surprised at how helpful recruiters can be when assisting someone with what we know to be a big decision.

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
You know what is funny....

You come here speaking of miscommunication.... but your avatar shows a skeletal body with symbols arranged in a pentagram....

You represent yourself in one way.. but show yourself in another. In the future, maybe you should consider your advertisements a little better.

Who exactly do YOU thing you are trying to persuade?

-EDIT- Just so you know, my father was once a marine recruiter.. he had carte blanche to offer anything to get someone to sign papers.

To all those considering the military.. get ANY promises in writing before signing papers.. see how well that goes over.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
If a possible recruit came in tomorrow and asked you if he/she would be truly fighting for our county's freedom if sent to Iraq what would you tell them?

Do you truly believe that by constantly invading other countries you are gaining any freedom for Americans?
We had more freedom before the patriot act, invading Iraq didn't give any of that back.

In fact, the more we invade, the more freedoms are taken away from American people under the guise of war time.

+40 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
HAHAHAHA! What a JOKE!
Fighting for rich people to kill poor people so they can steal their resources. While the elitist call you "Dogs" via Rockefeller in his own writings he said that's why you wear "Dog Tags" ..
Why would anyone sacrifice their life, their health and their limbs for a bunch of Satanic rich people???? While they make you take their toxic vaccinations, use biological weapons on you?? Don't give you health care when you get back??
Pitting military against defenseless people? Which will soon be pitted against their own people..All you are is Body guards for treasonous, murderous thieving liars..
PLEASE you would have to be a IDIOT to join their Satanic bodyguard group or believe in their propaganda bull poo!

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Wideawake08]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

What?

It's an album cover. By a music group called Slayer. I happen to like their drummer a lot. By the way, I notcied there is a skull in your avatar as well!

Furthermore, I never said that I am on here trying to persuade anyone. Just offering up what I can.

To Wylee:

If a possible recruit came in tomorrow and asked you if he/she would be truly fighting for our county's freedom if sent to Iraq what would you tell them?

I would say that depends on their ideals and values.

Bottom line people. If someone wants to enlist, they do it on their own free will.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
My skull represents everything you lay your eyes upon will die...

Shall we discuss what you image represents.. from the words of Slayer? I would be glad too..

As I said.. no one here is dumb... peddle your ADVERTISEMENTS elsewhere.

You can promise the world to those who know no better... you will not find that task so easy here.

+29 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Please spin garbage and try to recruit future murderers, and future mind control slaves elsewhere please. ATS is not a medium for you to try and find future casualties of imperialistic economic war. I as most others on this site are not at all interested in reading your posts which are meager regurgitation of your recruiting hand book, or canned response media propaganda. And yes you being a recruiter are a liar, there is no justification for murder ever, not for country, religion, or belief EVER. Our current military boot camp is based on simple tear down rebuild mind control techniques. You my friend are just another slave to the imperialistic ideals of the military industrial complex, and sadly based on your posts will remain as such until your end.

And another point, I have never met(and I've met alot) a combat veteran that didn't regret their service, and their taking of life. By the way My grand father was special forces highly decorated and was involved with the cia for many years, he is the one who made me and my father both swear we would not join the military. Save the response, I am not interested in anything you have to offer in the way of a retort, you sell of the lives off your fellow citizens for what? Really was us going into Irag or Kuwait really for the security of our country? And why don't you explain to these folks that might buy this garbage you puking up what G.I. means, and what rights you sign away in your enlistment paperwork.

By the way love the moniker you chose, that alone speaks volumes about your mental mind set. Death Destruction and suffering. Perfect description for you and your compatriots activities.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by BeyondBelow]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join