It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Unemployed?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Working 40 hours/week @ US$18.50/hour in IT. Started this job in February, and this is my first non-contract fulltime position since 2005. Also have my military retirement which is US$1,200+/month. And the industry the company I'm working for is going up, not down, so very minimal chance of being laid off. So hopefully, I should be able to make it through the Obama regime pretty comfortably, unless of course he decides to put in to effect his police state plan.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Thought I would give a Canadian perspective. We are in the same boat as the US right now. Ontario unemployment is nearing 10% and expected to rise.

I have been off for close to 6 months. I managed a Distribuiton Center for a contruction related company. We were one of 7 DC's to close (for this company)in the last year.

My logistics experience is 20 years, but not many jobs available. I hear every day about more closures and layoffs here. It is frustrating. Recruiters/headhunters/agencies are telling me they are getting 200-400 resumes for every job they advertise.

I have had a handfull of interviews, and twice I have made it to the final round only to lose to the other guy. Both times it was crushing. This is the longest I have ever been out of work. Fortunately I received a decent severence and I am getting EI. My wife is a 20 year employee with a well known company, thank god. But even she is getting nervous, and has dodged several rounds of lay-offs/cuts.

My wife's brother has been out as long as I, with no luck either. And my sisters husband, construction bus is in the toilet and soon will be no more.

It sucks, badly.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pappa_Bear
Unfortunately you seem to be an unskilled laborer, or worse, stuck up. just because 1 job in your area has a specific need for a specific job skill does not warrant nor give you the right to cut down so many people

Huh? What?

You are confused because my job is skilled labor and I did not 'cut down' anybody. Sorry but if someone cannot find a job because they are unskilled then they need to get the skill. How is that a cut down? That is reality. Good grief!

The fact that your company seems to have a very large turnover says that there is somthing very wrong with the management of your company.

Again, what on Earth are you talking about?

No wonder you are unemployed because it's apparent you cannot read or at the least have comprehension skill problems.

I said nothing about high turnover. In fact, it is just the opposite. Once people get a job with this company, they usually stay. I said they have been looking for qualified people for a long time because the company keeps growing Einstein.

also I call BS on your story as I do not believe you have 401K and pension, no company management in their right mind would offer 2 retirement plans; so BS on on your story= stuck up

Believe what you want dude but it is not BS.
Just because you have not worked for a company which offers this does not mean it doesn't exist.

In fact, I have tried to help someone repying to this forum to get a job with my company. This person sent me a private message so I tried to help him/her.

So please stop with your faux outrage, jealousy, hate or whatever your problem is.
Pathetic!
No wonder you don't have a job.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
My girlfriend and I broke up and I quit my job a few years ago and moved in with my parents. I rent out two houses. Unfortunately, I lost over 100k on those houses in this crappy economy. There are homes for sale all down the street going for peanuts. One house is going for $30,000 that should be worth over 100. One of my tenants, the whole family lost their jobs and they just filed for bankruptcy. They are one month behind now in their rent. The other house got three months behind and I had to let them go. I am having trouble finding anyone to rent that house willing to pay even up to my mortgage payment. So even though I didn't lose my job like some of you on here, I am still feeling your pain and watching everything I worked my whole life for going down the drain. Sorry for your losses.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Why worry?
Print ___
and be merry!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Where I am in SE Asia at the moment is certainly seeing a downturn - work is getting harder to find, and paying less.

A lot of locals I know have had family lose jobs recently, or had a cut in pay. I have always had people asking me if I can offer them any work (they look at my lifestyle and all think I'm some sort of gangster) - but its become really common lately.

I don't work - I'm a market trader - so doesn't count until they close all the markets - then I'll be unemployed.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Amagnon]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
My wife has been out of work for about a year now. She was an office manager for a local doctor. Every time she has applied for anything in her field, she has been met with "Must be bilingual" or "we prefer bilingual"......what a crock of sh**.

I am all for people coming here and making their life better than it was....no problem with that at all. But, if I were to move to say, Mexico, I would LEARN THEIR LANGUAGE! I would not automatically expect them to learn English just because I moved there and want a job! That's ridiculous! Yet, that is what is happening here. We have people from foreign countries that come here in pursuit of the American dream, but want everything handed to them. They want us to learn their language. Bullsh** is what I say.

Like I said, I am all for anyone coming here and making something of themselves, but not at the cost of me having to cater to them!

Okay, I'm done now....lol

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I've been unemployed for more than a year and three weeks ago my husband was layed off as well. Right now the only income we've had in the past three weeks was his last paycheck and his one week of vacation pay. Are we hurting for money? No not really because we've saved our money over the years for just such an emergency. We did that by living simply in a small house that's paid for, and we have no debt, no cars and no kids. Are we getting government aid? Heck no because we have some money saved because we've managed our money carefully and because no kids means no welfare really. I guess I could get disability but I'm not that desperate yet and dont want to deal with that crap. IDK if you count unemployment but I think thats more like an insurance type thing that my husband's old employer paid into. IDK if it gets govmnt contributions or not.
As far as finding another job goes: we've both found lots of leads. My husband has found more because he has more of a career and way more connections than I do and I have disabilities that limit what careers I can take.

Overall I think thins are ok and will be for a while. We'll make it. We all will. I know things look dark now but my husband and I tell each other every day that we are strong, we all are strong and we will all make it.

edited for clarity and typoes

[edit on 20-6-2009 by FunSized]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
Working 40 hours/week @ US$18.50/hour in IT. Started this job in February, and this is my first non-contract fulltime position since 2005. Also have my military retirement which is US$1,200+/month. And the industry the company I'm working for is going up, not down, so very minimal chance of being laid off. So hopefully, I should be able to make it through the Obama regime pretty comfortably, unless of course he decides to put in to effect his police state plan.

Man, I tried out the IT field one time. Went to school, built up some contacts, got some real world experience on my own.....and still could not make it on the pay. I switched over to Pipeline operations and make over twice what I used to make. The pay in the IT fields went to crap when the dot coms busted and it flooded the market with all these computer guru's that were used to making huge sums of money, and had to take gigantic pay cuts to stay in their fields (not to mention all the outsourcing). But hey, at least you have your military retirement to go with it!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

Yup. The contract job I had at IBM in '07 went over to India. And there's a lot of short term contract positions for minimal pay. I'm glad I got this fulltime permanent position now. I even have my first 401k.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Sweet man, congrats! A buddy of mine has a son that just got out of the military, and he got a job in the cloud computing field....supposed to be the next big thing. They are paying him six figures a year!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

Good deal! Hopefully it doesn't 'vaporize' on him.
The company I work for uses a couple of small applications based on cloud computing, and is testing a bigger one from Microsoft. These are mostly in the bookkeeping and billing departments.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I got Laid off and haven't been able to find a single job for about 9 months....

It's horrible.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I read through everyones posts and would just like to say for those struggling - there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Make a difference in someones life, and do your best to impart your knowledge into the children of today, and the workers of tomorrow.

I got to scrub dishes ALL day tomorrow for all the fathers at the place I work...afterwards though, it is nice knowing that I made a little money and can treat myself to a treat when needed.

It is nice seeing some real emotion from the people here at ATS...most of the time we are just bickering over the craziest current events. Keep the stories rollin!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I feel all your pain. This whole time hasn't been splendid for me as well. However, I became a victim of all this at the onset of this whole fiasco. Life was good before my trek into the world of depravity. This is a crazy time and I think we are all going to feel the sting and move forward.

Anyone claiming that they are living high off the hog and touting themselves during this time is sadistic and displaying narcissism on a grand scale. Shame on you for trying to puff up your egos while others are suffering. Hey people, if you haven't noticed; the world is going to hell in a hand basket. I can surely attest to that in my own life's travels. I'll say it again as I have stated before on the board, the only way we are going to weather the storm and survive is if we work together to meet that end. The best we can do is help each other and ourselves.

At present we have folks running the show that are nameless and have an unsavory agenda placed before us. We can either bat it down like the filth that it is or conform and let their reality dictate how we conduct our lives.

I am lucky and blessed at the moment because I have a job making peanuts at the moment; but it is a job. I have a roof and a very modest one at that. I have no debt and a college degree bought and paid for but unfortunately collecting dust at present. However, my outlook is good and if bad should happen again then let it happen and I will pick myself up and move. We just have know when to say that, enough is enough and shed the whole ideal of what a good life is, because I thought I had it; but it was all an illusion and gone in a blink of an eye. Everyone has value whether your unskilled or skilled and everyone deserves compassion and sympathy during these trying times. We need to shed the whole ideal that, for any of us to have any dignity is by what we do for a living, what our salary is, how big our house is, what our political or religious beliefs are, and the list goes on. All this self image crap are the shackles to what it is to be human and our true purpose.

You can have all those things mentioned above, but turn yourself inside out; and you'll find a ghastly decrepit soul. If only we could see the inside of ourselves and we would see monsters before us.

The PTB have brought this on more than a few times and I'll end with a quote from one of my favorite movies, "The Network," highlighting the very same scenario that we are facing at present, "You've got to get mad. You've got to say, "I'm a human being, god damn it! My life has value!" I have faith in all of you and I pull no punches, but keep the faith and look beyond this reality that we have before us because it is rotten to the core. Good luck.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Actually I think you just proved me on the right track, as you seem to have missed the fact that not all jobs need skilled labor, and skilled labor jobs are just as hard to find as non-skilled. Also since you seem to feel that people who cannot find a job and complain about that issue are "lazy"
as well as your inability to comprehend what you read as I clearly stated that 1) many people are skilled and highly educated, 2)I was not looking for work, and had a contract to go back to work this fall; so as I did not post why I was laid off you did not have enough information to make any remarks due to me being unemployed therfore I still say that you are stuck up and condescending.

Also to add that the being unable to find and maintain skilled workers by your management could very well insinuate that something is very wrong with the immediate management under which you work. Especialy as most large corporations and companies now rely on Electronic resume's and keyword filters to maximise the possiblility of finding appropriate skill levels. As I would be willing to bet your company does, as well as internal job placement oppurtunities.

Now for your information, even though it is not really any of your business, you were dead wrong about why I am currently unemployed, but feel like you do need to come back to earth with the rest of us regular people.

As the department manager for 2 department IT tech and Warehouse Dispatch, and responsible for all personnell traing in those 2 departments I elected for voluntary layoff to prevent several people in both departments from being caught in the companies layoff plan. This does several things , 1) saves someone's job that cannot afford to be laid off, 2)Keeps well trained, and competent, responsible peole during this slow downturn 3) prevents myself from having to look for, and train anyone new in the event things pick up and need to rehire putting the entire office/warehouse in jeopardy. 3) I also elected for this as I needed a break to to health issues that are genetic and getting worse with age. So you hypothesis as to why i am unemployed and unable to find work was completely wrong, unwarranted, and shows me that you are unable to take criticism when found to be very likely incorrect either by making fact without information, or exaggerating.

As a side note I do notice that you state you are a skilled worker, therfore not in management, nor invovled in hiring, I would say that there is more to the story about the inability to find skilled workers than you may be aware of.

So I ask that you refrain from lumping all unemployed people that are complaining that they are unable to find work as lazy andor unskilled as I have found many on ATS and in my General area, that are unemployed are indeed skilled and educated but still unable to find work in the General area in which they live and cannot afford to just pick up and leave without a guaranteed permament job elsewhere. To make the accusation you did actually looks worse on you than the ones you are accusing.

I am not better than you or anyone else, nor are you

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
reply to post by Pappa_Bear

Sorry but the only thing that is obvious or proven is the fact that your posts are unreadable because they are long winded and you do nothing but babble.

[edit on 6/20/2009 by WhatTheory]

First you would have to read the post to determine whether it is babble; by your own admission you did not. Therefore you have niether proven or shown anything to be obvious.

Also, judging by your response, my theory is correct that you have comprehension problems.

How can you have a theory about my response when you have not read it?
I answered some of your comments, while some comments you made were based on lack of information and therefore were incorrect and assumptions. I did leave the comment alone as to having 2 retirement plans as I do not have enough information to make a factual satement for your individual situation.

Since when did debate become babble?
After researching the company you work for, they do in fact offer multible retirement saving plans, 401K as primary and if eligible Schwab Personal Choice Retirement Accounts®, Retirement Account Contributions and Company Matching Contributions.
So i stand corrected for that. As you can see I am willing to debate and learn.

Schwab Personal Choice Retirement Accounts®, Retirement Account Contributions and Company Matching Contributions.
So I do aplolgize for coming on strongly on the issue of your opinion of certain type of people and for not dong a fullinvestigation prior to making statements of opionion. I was not attempting to cut you down, and did make an assumption which is proven to be false after full investigation.

Looks like we both made assumptions without enough information.

edit: to add factual information

[edit on 20/6/2009 by Pappa_Bear]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I started a commercial electronics business in 1977.. By 2005 I was having servere back trouble due to a blown disk, and insurance considered it a preexisting condition.

For 30 years I was a slave to a property I bought in 1986, using credit cards for the down payment and owner financing at 10 pct...on a $110K I would not have qualified for a loan.. not until the No Income Verification loans came around and I got the interest rate down to 5.7 and took some cash out for no good reasons and enjoyed spending it.

Due to needed back surgery and it being a pre-existing condition....my business slacked off, (the pain was so bad I could not think) and I knew I needed to sell, and 2 days before the stock market crashed last september I got a contract for 1/2 million...

I paid off the no income 1st and 2nd and $66,000 in credit cards AND paid the IRS the cap gains.

And I got back surgery, in December 2008, (30 grand) and it helped a great deal but unfortunately the recovery process is taking a long time.

I hope to start up business again or find a no-nonsense employer, and make us both some money. I can fix things that do not work properly. Speciality is high voltage swiitchmode power supplies, and and years back used to be service manager for the #1 esoteric hifi store in a major US city.. Past clients includes SAIC, IDA, Institute for Defense Analysis, Dalghren Naval Surface Weapons facility, Loral, IBM Federal Systems... and a couple of racetracks...and nightclubs (my system design and build got a club into the top ten video clubs of america in the 80's, and we were the cheapest date in the top ten list )

I do a little trading these days...to keep my mind occupied and read a lot, Favorite tech book is Horowitz - The Art of Electronics. I look forward to getting back to work, cause I dont have enough to retire.. thats for sure.

Note: Unlike doctors and lawyers, engineers can not bury their mistakes.

PS: To the previous electronics guy.. I'll U2U

PPS: and re finding good help, I hired a couple of supposed Electronics Engineers over the years,maybe they could pass tests but they sure could not troubleshoot a system. and guys who were supposedly technicians, to try and expand my little business, and found them to be worthless...actually worth less than zero... one even cost me 5x what I paid him after I found and fixed the mistakes (and caught hell from the client),,

[edit on 20-6-2009 by seataka]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

thanks kettle belly. excellent to know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join