It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are you President Obama?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I am a simple man, an American, trying to work, earn a living and stay away from trouble... So I have no illusion that the president would ever hear from me, or even consider what I have to say. So I'll post it here.

In Iran right now, there is a movement for real democracy and real change and Mr. President you have remained virtually silent.

The youth of Iran and many of the people of Iran from all walks of life have been out protesting an obviously fraudulent election, they through their protests are begging for real democracy... I expected the leader of our country... that would be YOU Obama... To take the opportunity to speak to the Iranian people, to tell them that we are with you, that we support you, even if that support is only moral in nature. What they (The Iranians) are protesting, indeed fighting for is exactly what our own nation is all about, rising above tyranny, through revolution we were born again, a truly free and democratic nation.

Perhaps you have pinned your hopes on an Ahmadinejad victory and your plans for diplomatic efforts with him in the future and feel you cannot openly criticize them now.

But you can speak to the Iranian people... You should, and you haven't which beyond everything else is more than disappointing.

These are people who are being beaten down by a tyrannical regime with a false promise of democracy, a people seeking freedom and liberty within a democracy, a people who need to hear from the "leader of the free world" YOU Mr. President.

Are you afraid to speak to the people of Iran through the international press and media?

Where are you Mr. President?

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Well said.

We need to let them know that we are with them in spirit. It's not their fault.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Very well done!

It is sad that we don't have a Leader on our soil that will step up to the plate and do the right thing and speak out and support the people of Iran.

All this talk about Democracy, and when all of a sudden, revolution time, and No One is Home!?

We should send this thread or one like it showing our support for the people of Iran instead of waiting for our Government to not do anything?!!

Sign me up!

Star and Flag.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

We need to let them know that we are with them in spirit.

In spirit the Iranian people are more like us than almost any of the people in the Middle East.

To not take this opportunity to speak to them our president has possibly sent a silent message to the Iranian people, more importantly to the Iranian regime. And what do you think that message is?

He should be on television every day speaking to the Iranian people affirming our moral support for them, even if only a few words at a time here and there.

Words have power, especially when they come from the most powerful leader in the "free world"

My personal observations of this is that what I have seen coming from the white house is a more hands off "wait and see" approach, while completely missing the opportunity to inspire the Iranian people at a time when they really need it.

The struggle the Iranian people are faced with now is not that unlike our own struggles over 200 years ago... And a speech from the president showing our solidarity with those seeking freedom from tyranny, liberty and REAL democracy should have been a top priority from the beginning of the protests.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I agree with you completely, OP.

No matter where one stands on Iran and the politics aside, we are all one... We should be showing the people support -- AND the utmost respect for what they are doing. They didn't 'lie down and take it' like other oppressed people are so conditioned to doing.

They are making themselves heard!!! I wish we could make our respect and support be heard, too.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Maybe Obama doesn't want a free people in Iran. It's just an idea I am kicking around. Say, the people rise up in revolution, get smacked down, then later, as plans progress (I'm going off the deep end here, maybe.) and it's time for the big show that could be an attack on Iran, Obama could also play the "fighting for democracy" card along with any other cards that are in the stacked deck . It's happened before. Just saying. Naw. Couldn't be that. Not Obama.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
I agree with you completely, OP.

No matter where one stands on Iran and the politics aside,

That is true, however on this issue I can't for the life of me figure out where our president stands here.

But certainly being an American, and the President of the United States of America, he without question should be able to step forward and show some support for the Iranian people.... He hasn't and that really bothers me to the point where I really question his patriotism. This is not a complex issue that requires a lot of thought, the values and principles of our country and constitution are quite simple, and much aligned with the kind of freedoms, liberty and democracy the Iranian people want.

Is a simple "we are with you" too much for our president to say?

Perhaps so, if you really do not believe in the values and principles that built this nation.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Taking it a step farther, I believe that the President by not taking this opportunity to speak to the Iranian people has only emboldened the Iranian regime, and along with their actions against the people of Iran has helped to crush the rebellion and the spirit of the people.

Obama wants to be a citizen of the world, not the leader of the free world.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The Europeans are speaking out more on Iran than our president is.

EU leaders step up Iran election criticism

www.reuters.com...

BRUSSELS, June 19 (Reuters) - European Union leaders condemned Iran's handling of protests against its disputed election on Friday, urging Tehran to refrain from violence and to launch an investigation into the staging of the poll.

Iranian state media have reported seven or eight people killed in protests since results published on June 13 showed a landslide victory for Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Scores of reformists have been arrested and authorities have cracked down on media.

"The European Union is observing the response to the protests across Iran with serious concern," the EU leaders said in a joint statement after a summit in Brussels.

"It firmly condemns the use of violence against protesters resulting in loss of lives...the authorities should refrain from the use of force against demonstrators."

And from CNN, a news source that is usually highly supportive of President Obama.

Commentary: Obama must speak out on Iran

www.cnn.com...

SAN DIEGO, California (CNN) -- With Iran suffering a political earthquake, allow me to put in a good word for meddling.

I realize there will always be those Americans who recoil at the idea of U.S. military intervention or economic sanctions -- or, for that matter, even just tersely worded statements from the White House -- because, they insist, the United States should not interfere with the domestic affairs of other countries.

Since when? The United States has, for decades, interfered with the destinies of other nations - in Asia, Africa, Latin America and elsewhere.

In fact, just recently, President Obama took to interfering in the Middle East by scolding Israel for its treatment of Palestinians and its settlements in the West Bank.

Yet now, in a real disappointment to anyone who values freedom, Obama has declared his reluctance to "meddle" in the aftermath of the disputed Iranian presidential election even as hundreds of thousands of protesters put themselves at risk on the streets of Tehran.

I have read and heard theories and allegations that the reason that Obama seems unwilling to get involved or to speak to the Iranian people is because he already expected Ahmadinejad to win, and because of his "secret Muslim past" will not get involved, and that in the future he will be pro Arab/Muslim on all Middle Eastern issues.... I thought this was too ridiculous to believe, but I am not so sure anymore.

Actions, or in this case the lack there of are very telling.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It really isn’t President Obama’s duty morally, spiritually or physically to imagine he understands the complexities of Iranian politics or the Iranian psyche.

Iran is a vastly different culture and world that predates our bastardized nation and lifestyle by millennium.

Politics is a dirty and deceitful business and always has been and always will be. It’s about power, it’s about bending people towards the individual will and a collective perspective that fits that individual will.

Just because one political party takes to the streets in mass to protest an election’s result and the mass of that people seems overwhelming because they are a mass and massed that in and of itself does not represent a scientific mathematical accounting of the people and there true will.

Ever gone to an Opera or Ballet and hated every moment of it except for the presence of the person who invited you that you want to ingratiate yourself too. You are certainly in the audience but hardly a fan of the Opera or Ballet as much as you are a fan of being there because it serves some other interest or purpose of your own.

Massive demonstrations coincided with the war in Vietnam here in the United States but they in and of themselves no matter how large could accurately reflect the true or entire will of the people.

Just some of the people, that some of the people likewise who weren’t there sought to exploit for their own political purposes.

That’s politics and it’s foolish for us to take sides between nations or within nations. Our forefathers saw that for the trap it is, and as I struggle to come to terms on what might be best for America today, as an American citizen, born and raised here from day one and am not always entirely sure from day to day what would be our own troubled nation’s best course…all I can honestly say is it’s truly a foolish mission to imagine what might be best for a nation, a people, a culture, and a religion that I have never been so exposed to and to pretend I know better and what’s best.

The rest of the world’s problems will sort themselves out in good time and President Obama has been doing a dismal and abysmal job at sorting out our own nation’s problems economically and domestically and even left wing radical stalwarts like Bill Maher are decrying him for that.

Where is President Obama, hopefully coming to terms with why he wanted to be President of the United States and how he is actually going to accomplish some change here domestically that benefits the struggling people of our own troubled nation.

I can only assume and hope that, but Iran is the Iranian’s affair and best left to them to figure out and sort out all in due course which they have proved time and time again, including kicking out an American puppet regime and taking an American Embassy and all it’s employees hostage for an entire year they are more than capable of sorting out their own problems and desires.

The question is are we capable of sorting out our own problems and desires?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
People complain when you Get involve
People compliant when you Don't Get involve
(it must drive the President CRAZY!!!)

You CAN'T win with Americans...

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Next_Heap_With]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Excellent post!

I do believe it is in our interest to support (even if only moral support) those who are seeking a fair democracy no matter where it is. It should be a standard in US foreign policy.

Obama would not be meddling in Iranian affairs by showing support of the Iranian people.

If this is any indication of our future foreign policy in the middle east then it represents a huge shift, and I believe will only raise the risks for our contractors and military personnel in the region.

It is a sign of weakness when the president and leader of the free world fails to recognize and publicly support a surge of people who rise up against tyranny and demand those most basic principles of a free and fair democracy in a fraudulent election. The leaders of Europe are not afraid to speak out on this, see the news report above in the thread.

There are people within Iran who are saying they would rather die than to live under the current tyrannical leadership.

I do agree we need to focus on domestic issues and the economy, but we must also address foreign policy issues as well, and to leave this opportunity to support and defend a fair democratic process is a mistake. In my opinion of course.

Thank you for your post.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

I do believe it is in our interest to support (even if only moral support) those who are seeking a fair democracy no matter where it is. It should be a standard in US foreign policy.

It should be a standard of U.S. Domestic Policy but it is not.

What were the good President's precise words to millions upon millions of democratically and constitutionally minded Americans who took to the streets in the 'Tea Parties' a couple months back?

"Let's not play games" was our President's response for Americans who take to the streets to peacefully have their voices heard.

Ask yourself this, how can President Obama in good faith praise a process abroad that he decries here?

The reality is President Obama can not afford to encourage Iranians to do what they clearly need no encouragement from American politicians to do anyway as they are doing it entirely independent of any culture other than their own and it's vein and arrogant to imagine people around the world can not make such distinctions on their own.

President Obama can not afford to encourage this process abroad as he can not afford to encourage this type of behavior here, and in fact does not and accused tens of millions of Americans fed up with high taxes, bailouts for banks and corporations and a lack of jobs as "Playing games" when they took to the street.

Your United States of America might be in an alternative universe because the President Obama I know shuns the political process and debates and autocratically dictates by saying "We don't have time for debate now".

I think we would be better off with the President some Iranians are rejecting as opposed to our own. They sure appear to be birds of a feather anyway in more ways than one, with Iran possibly being more tolertant and willing to hear it's citizens voices than the American President and it's government is.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
Where are you President Obama?

Probably out meeting with his Bildeberg handlers.

This uprising of the youth of Iran is what the USA has hoped for. The squeeze play of us being in Iraq and Afghanistan is part of this process. And now that the time has come for us to support the youth uprising ... Obama is out to lunch. At least the State Dept understands this. They spoke to Twitter and all ...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Republicans are the biggest hypocrites around.

In one thread they boast on and on and on about the Constitution and how this President tramples all over it.

Yet ...

They are now complaining that he is not actively engaging in another countries problems and politics.

Where in the Constitution does it say he has the right to interfere with another country and its citizens? What exact Article does it state that it is his job to help a revolution in progress?

I swear you all take the hypocritical cake.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

"What they (The Iranians) are protesting, indeed fighting for is exactly what our own nation is all about, rising above tyranny, through revolution we were born again, a truly free and democratic nation."

We live in a Republic. Our Revolution birthed a REPUBLIC!! NOT DEMOCRACY!!!! RULE BY LAW IS WHAT OUR NATION IS!!

www.wimp.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
It really isn’t President Obama’s duty morally, spiritually or physically to imagine he understands the complexities of Iranian politics or the Iranian psyche.

Iran is a vastly different culture and world that predates our bastardized nation and lifestyle by millennium.

Sure Iran is a totally different culture, but it's not about trying to understand complexities, it's all about democracy.
Sure it's damned if you do and damned if you don't when the US President "meddles".
Many say it's wrong, but if you're going to err, might as well err on the side of what's right, especially when people are dying.

Obama just has his priorities screwed up, to him it's more about popularity than it is about democracy. He is waiting for the dust to settle before he decides which bandwagon to join. How pathetic!

They are hungry for democracy.
What happens when the next nation decides to speak and act out ?
They may decide not to especially if they know there will be no one there to back them up.

Obama has an opportunity to respond to these events also because it will make his job easier as President, but instead he wants to make it difficult for himself. He is just too gung ho about sitting at he table of diplomacy and playing footsies with Ahmadinejad.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I agree completely with your sentiment and I support the average Iranian on the street fighting tyranny in the hopes of living a successful life unmolested by corrupt governments.

However, I'm still not convinced that this all too convenient uprising was not planned or at least encourage by clandestine elements of the US Government.

It just all seems too convenient, Iran is one of the nations we can't get a foot hold in and we can't bully around, destabilizing it with a citizen uprising is old hat in terms of clandestine foreign operations.

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, OP, we did just pass a resolution (with one vote opposing) saying that we support the people of Iran.

And now, I'll make you feel bad again, Mr. Ron Paul was the only person to vote against it, makes you wonder.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Father of the Iranian revolution

www.jpost.com.../JPArticle/ShowFull

The truth is the entire nightmare can be traced back to the liberal democratic policies of the leftist Jimmy Carter, who created a firestorm that destabilized our greatest ally in the Muslim world, the shah of Iran, in favor of a religious fanatic, the ayatollah Khomeini.

Carter viewed Khomeini as more of a religious holy man in a grassroots revolution than a founding father of modern terrorism. Carter's ambassador to the UN, Andrew Young, said "Khomeini will eventually be hailed as a saint." Carter's Iranian ambassador, William Sullivan, said, "Khomeini is a Gandhi-like figure." Carter adviser James Bill proclaimed in a Newsweek interview on February 12, 1979 that Khomeini was not a mad mujahid, but a man of "impeccable integrity and honesty."

Let's look at the results of Carter's misguided liberal policies: the Islamic Revolution in Iran; the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan (Carter's response was to boycott the 1980 Moscow Olympics); the birth of Osama bin Laden's terrorist organization; the Iran-Iraq War, which cost the lives of millions dead and wounded; and yes, the present war on terrorism and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In February 1979 Khomeini had boarded an Air France flight to return to Teheran with the blessing of Jimmy Carter. The moment he arrived, he proclaimed: "I will kick his teeth in" - referring to then prime minister Shapour Bakhtiar, who was left in power with a US pledge of support. He was assassinated in Paris by Iranian agents in 1991.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

They are now complaining that he is not actively engaging in another countries problems and politics.

Ask Carter?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join