It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving your phone number when using cash?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I am a US citizen but I have not lived in the US for over 20 years now, so I can't say whether this is true, but I read somebody claiming that when you pay in CASH at certain US stores (Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Circuit City were specifcially mentioned) the cashier asks for your PHONE NUMBER.

Is this true? How long has this been going on, if so?

If this is true, I find it APPALLING. Absolutely SICKENING. Actually there is no word for the disgust this makes me feel. I cannot believe things have come to such a pass, and this is the first I've heard of it.

The writer in question noted that he memorized his county's District Attorney's office phone number and gave that instead....good going sez I.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Yes, it is true, but you can say no thank you, which I always do, and that is that. You do not have to give your phone number.

Some retail stores ask for your zip code instead, when I worked in retail it was so we knew what the demographic of our customers were.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I get asked a lot, but haven't paid attention why.

I really don't care for their reason. I just give them a seven digit fake number or a the zip code from the next town and I'm out of there.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I just don't answer them. If they don't like it, I'll shop somewhere else. So far nobody has made me shop somewhere else.

Zipcode I will usually give though.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

Thanks for the answer.

If the store is doing it to tabulate demographic info or sales, etc. I guess that's slightly less disturbing than what I first imagined the reason was, although still intrusive.

I figured they were trying to track people with cash holdings or simply to reduce the anonymity of cash...is this the leading edge of the process of tracking all commerce until we end up with commerical biochip implants (mark of the beast)?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yes it's true. I've also been asked to show ID when paying with large bills, just incase they're fake don't cha know. If they can't track you one way, they'll track you another.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

Umm, if you are a paying a bill, then they already know who you are.

Edit: ahh, paying with large bills, not paying a bill lol. Doh.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer
Yes it's true. I've also been asked to show ID when paying with large bills, just incase they're fake don't cha know. If they can't track you one way, they'll track you another.

So basically there is no anonymity in commerce anymore.

Why isn't there more outrage about this?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
walmart and the other ones will ask for your phone number so if you lose your receipt you can still return or exchange the item you bought, just with your phone number. (they look up the sale with your phone number as the reference)

this is what THEY say, however i am weary to, and usually give fake contact info.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
It's a way to track what you buy, both phone number and zip code, and they ask whether you pay cash or credit. I always give them 867-5309. Go get 'em, Jenny!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I have only been asked when writing a check. Never with cash.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I have had stores ask for my mailing address.

The next thing i got from them was a bunch of junk mail.

I no longer give out my phone number or my mailing address.
I do give out my street address because i have no mail box and no way to get mail at my home. (jury duty notices are always sent to the street address where i live i have not got one in 30 years)

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

There's no outrage about anything. The sheeple sleep. The country you knew is gone. I got out years ago myself. Got tired of hearing how unpatriotic I was when I questioned the Bush syndicate... I mean system. I kept getting told "if you don't like it leave", so that's what I did.

PS Don't get me wrong Obama's on the same team.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

LOL I used to use Jennys number often. That girl gets around.

For the Op and Coyote: I left the states too. Things aren't looking so good there if you know what I mean.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I've noticed this in a variety of retail stores. It used to be a common practice when you bought cold medication, items that had limited purchase quantities, or large amounts of brand name clothing or CDs since people often resell them. We were discussing this at work, it is getting creepy. I know book stores have been pressured sicne 2001 to flag customers who purchase certain types of books but now they seem to do that with all book purchases. The demographics excuse is senseless since a cash register automatically records what type of transactions was completed and many stores also have survelliance towers that record each transaction as backup.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Having had worked in retail i know the reason

the y ask is because they want to know where their customers are coming from, how far they are willing to travel to go to that specific store, etc.

I dont mind asking for a zip code but i dont like asking or being asked for my phone #.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Nope. I don't even have to show ID for writing checks; 'course this place iz small.

When I order stuff online the only place that requires my phone is PayPal, which only this last year accepted accounts from the Caribbean.

I thought that was what pay-as-you-go cell phones were for -- when you just HAVE to leave a number......

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Wow, where do you people live? The only place that ever asks for my phone number is Radio Shack and I just make one up whenever I go there. Just do the same, give them a fake one, screw up their little system if you want.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I know the pay as you go phones well, it's my number I can't ever recall. We hardly ever use the phone anymore. If someone wants to visit or talk they come yell at the house (we have dogs). I bet you don't have an address either and I bet you've noticed you can live without one, everyone can still find your house lol.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Ironically, more and more shops around here refuse to check ID when processing credit card or debit transactions even if you write "see ID" on your card. The reason is to avoid physical confrontations over stolen or expired cards, there have been several arrests in our area that have made national news the past couple of years.

And yet, they still want to know where you live....sounds like BS to me. If you are using coupons very often they come through email so they can track that anyway, or by who printed a commercial coupon.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join