It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman fined $1.9 million for illegal downloads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Woman fined $1.9 million for illegal downloads

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com

(CNN) — A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each — a total of $1.9 million — for 24 songs.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset’s case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said.

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents. She plans to appeal, he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
ok, am i reading this wrong?

this has got to be the pinnacle of greed and irresponsibility on the part of the music industry, ISPs, and the Federal Judge who is this utterly retarded

this cannot be real, there is just no way something this dumb could happen on Earth

the songs cost 99cents but she gets fined 80,000$ per song?
i think this is blown out of proportion on an epic scale

and to think, the Fed Judge played ball

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This is daylight robbery. Maybe the music companies are trying to offset their losses by overcharging poor people like this woman. Shame on the company and the corrupt justice system which allowed this verdict.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
merciful heavens!!!!
this is robbery plain and true
what're you gonna do when they come for you?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I read this. She made 110 or so songs available, meaning she probably seeded 10 crappy cds, that probably sold for 4.99 in the bargain bin. They named off some of the artist and it wasnt't anything that great. I forgot who they were. These are the kinda people who try to be nice and they get this crap. I don't think anyone legit is going to be making torrents available nowerdays. Its sad that unselfish people have to be punished.

new topics

top topics

join