It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Theory on the Effects of Stopping Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Most of us has seen an episode of the Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits where someone is able to stop time with a pocket watch or at will and walk around and do what they want all the while everyone else and everything else if frozen in time.

I was thinking about this the other day and came up with this wild and crazy theory. Im in no way a scientist nor do I have any background with physics but... here goes

If you could stop time, you wouldn't be able to move or breath even though you yourself were not affected and if you could, you would leave a trail of destruction behind you for everything you interacted with when you start time back up.

Heres why.

Considering all things in nature are made up of atoms which are constantly moving. From solids to gasses such as air, by stopping time you would be essentially freezing these atoms in one place. Now even though you yourself are not affected, everything else around you is so the atoms in the gasses (air), liquids and solids would essentially become a solid mass.

BUT

If you could move around and breath, would you not leave a wake of destruction behind you as you affected things around you when you started time back up?

I mean, if you sneeze, breath, move solid objects around, they would be traveling as fast if not faster that the speed of light essentially so when time starts up again the wake of such disturbances would be catastrophic no?

not to mention you could probably physically walk on water as it would be as a solid too.

Sorry, I know this is a way far out theory but I welcome any comments and would love to hear other ideas put forth on the topic especially from someone with a physics/scientific background.

Does it make any sense at all?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
very good, like the point your trying to prove

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
You are right completely.

When I was younger, I had a dream that I had such a machine and I and an area around me was not affected, but everything else was. I brought a drill and had to drill the air to literally make a tunnel through the gas.

Then I tapped a baseball down, not realizing what I did. I restarted time, and the tunnel I dug became a vacuum and the baseball flew into the Earth at such speeds that it created a crater as big as a city and the planet split in half.

Great dream.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

I wonder what physics would dictate.

Thats a pretty interesting dream you had there Gorman, Thats pretty much exactly the point I was trying to make. Interesting that you had to tunnel through the air.

I wonder how feasible this theory is to the scientific community.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Time is just a state of mind.

Your brain work's at a certain frequency like a computer if you disrupt that frequancy then time can seem to stand still or speed up.

But remember it's just a state of mind and time is a constant.

Is it possible to go forward or backward's in this altered frequency ?

Yep !

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 19-6-2009 by h3akalee]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Pretty good thought you got going on there. I would love to see what " actual" scientists say about it. Not saying it's not valid because you aren't one but sometimes if it goes against what they think, they will automatically dismiss it just based on that.

I have never heard anyone give an explanation to this question, or actually ask this question so yea it's definitely making me think right now.

S&F just because I want this discussion to continue. This is a question, if answered could give us a better perspective on life and all that occurs within it.

Does it not effect you ( the stopper of time ) because each universe is unique to each individual soul and therefore whatever we experience in it just effects us in a way that actually only effects everything else except us?

Sorry if that is confusing but I'm having trouble getting across my thoughts. Does not seem to be words for them . haha

How do we know atoms will freeze or become solid? That is based on our understanding of physics and the way things work.

I'm guessing the answer to this great question is beyond our comprehension at this current moment in time. It wouldn't make sense to us now because our science and physics is off a little bit and not 100% accurate.

More questions like this should be asked. Good post. short. but good.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee
Time is just a state of mind.

Your brain work's at a certain frequency like a computer if you disrupt that frequancy then time can seem to stand still or speed up.

But remember it's just a state of mind and time is a constant.

Is it possible to go forward or backward's in this altered frequency ?

Yep !

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 19-6-2009 by h3akalee]

That makes more sense because isn't everything esentially a wave of energy or frequency?

I mean matter in smallest form is, sound is, light is all just waves of energy.

So Could be slow down time relevent to our existance and would we be the only once experiencing this effect ?

And that brings up another question .

Is my normal speed of time the same as others normal speed of time ?

Like are my minutes the same length as others or does somebody experience a minute as 2 minutes but when we collectively speak of minutes they associate that 2 minutes of time to a minute because that is all they ever experienced?

That is like the question about like does chocolate taste like peanut butter to others and is the color red really look blue to others. ( not talking color blind people ).

Sorry for getting a little off topic but this has sparked ideas in my head which I don't know the answer to and maybe somebody on here does.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

I see where you are coming from. As for the "stopper of time" I am just assuming for arguments sake that the person stopping time was not affected, like in the that episode of the Twilight Zone.

As for the atoms stopping, I am also assuming that by stopping time, it would also mean at the molecular level as well.... not just in one area but the entire universe as we know it. I know... big leap.

Basically I am coming from the view point of the stopper. If I had say a stopwatch that I could press a button on and all time stopped until I started it back up again yet not being affected myself.

I know this is purely imagination, but as for the physics behind it, its been stumping me all day. Like I mentioned above, even though I may not be affected as the rest of the world, would I even be able to breath or even move with everything down to the molecular level frozen in place? or would it be more of a thick sludge making movement and breathing difficult yet doable. Not to mention, by moving around or moving objects (if you could) what damage would you cause.

Im leaning towards what Gorman had said about possibly creating a vacuum in the areas you have moved through.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

I suppose that could be one way of looking at it and that would be a whole other thread thats for sure...one I could go on and on and on forever with.

I really do like that idea as well

But for the sake of argument, say if this theory of mine was more to the way things were, what would you think would happen?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Actually we can do this in a way, kinda, it's called time dilation. the faster you move the "slower" time moves for every one els.
I can't do it justice so I'll send you to the fine folks at wiki
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mxyztplk

I was thinking about that as well. I suppose that there would be a point that you would get so fast that time would appear to be completely stopped but not really as it would just be too slow to even register.

Also with such a speed and time slowing down, how hard would it be to move through the atmosphere? I would imagine that the air would seem thick and there would be extreme friction between you and the atmosphere around you.

Another great post that sends my mind into another realm of thought

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
My point of View:

Sometimes when i wake up... or im a few seconds to get sleep..and im listening music... i hear the music on radio slower.... noticeable slower.

it has happening to me so many times....

sometimes you sleep a couple of hours, but in your dream where much more.... i guess when we're sleeping we do our own time travel and our time experience is really different... we got to feel more hours instead a few ones

then when we wake up we are still on that slower motion .

So i guess the key to stop time is on deep sleeping

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
reply to post by Mr Mxyztplk

I was thinking about that as well. I suppose that there would be a point that you would get so fast that time would appear to be completely stopped but not really as it would just be too slow to even register.

In order to get the universe to "stop" you would have to be traveling at the speed of light.

Also with such a speed and time slowing down, how hard would it be to move through the atmosphere? I would imagine that the air would seem thick and there would be extreme friction between you and the atmosphere around you.

It would be imposable for a human body to survive moving at over a billion miles per hour. the friction would destroy any known alloys as well.
And god forbid that you hit some thing with that kind of kinetic energy bye-bye planet Earth

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Good job OP. This sounds exactly how it would be like to me if one were to be able to stop time. The events thereafter the "time stopping" would be catastrophic though.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Just think OP Someone may have perfected the ability to stop time and we would never know. I often think about this, if you had the ability to stop time, stopped it, did a load of stuff, I would never know. A few people would experience weird things if you interacted with them. But ALMOST everyone wouldn't know. We wouldn't even be aware time had stopped. :O

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

yes it was an interesting dream. As I recall, it was a team and I on a mission of some kind that required time to be stopped. I have no idea. I had a welding mask on and was drilling away. Because time was paused, my drilling was literally causing mini nuclear explosions of atoms being reduced to energy.

I remember there was a scene were I first came out of the time device, and I instantly lost sight when I moved into the tunnel. There was no light coming through. There was a laser being pointed that I couldn't cut because it was light, not matter. So to remove light, the team just basically shot a fire extinguisher or something at it. The gas moved faster than light technically, so it bounced the light away when it hit it. The light, going faster than light itself, basically just caused a ripple through light around it.

At some point I suddenly died and became pure energy. I guess the machine malfunctioned and I literally WAS going faster than light. Then My entire body just shattered into light.

WAY confusing dream.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
So.. If you wanted to stop time it would be only for the object or objects that you are able to stop from moving?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by etombo

Im not sure what you are asking but I believe the answer would be no, you wouldnt just be stopping time only for the object or objects. Just to stop time period and what it would be like. What possible damage would you cause.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
If you were able to stop one object so much as it is an immovable object what would it destroy? Everything?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
It's not that you stop time, it's that you yourself move faster than speed of light right? Ok then your surroundings would have to have a 'bubble' wherein the laws of physics would speed up the same or you would be destroyed by the forces involved. One other thing, you wouldn't be able to see anything as you would move too fast for the light to travel into your eyes. Same goes for sounds etc.

top topics

join