It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take a look at this ad that was shoved through my front door this morning

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I would always just go into a discussion how 'Jehovah' and 'Jesus' never existed and they are blaspheming the original names of Joshua (pronounced Yahshua) and YHVH (pronounced Yo-vah) and go through all the mis-transliterations to the names we have today. Get some pretty funny responses

Originally posted by Daedalu
Most of them are just trying to do what they think is right, so I can not be to hard on them for doing what they do

Yep, but everyone thinks what they are doing is right. Suicide bombers, abortion clinic bombers, Mao, Stalin, Hitler, I could literally list everyone, all do the wrong things for the right reasons.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Most of them are pretty well meaning, most of them are pretty normal people who try and do the right things. They can get on your nerves, but hey, save your energy for giving jerks a hard time, not nice people.

What is scary is that they recruit very vulnerable people, they leech money and have massive resources. They are probably headed by Illumintists at the very top. Anyone reading their scriptural research has to be impressed though, its quite well refined. As the end of the world thing/ascendtion thing goes though, it ties in well with other religions and cultures.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I was raised a JW. I'll make a long story short: my mom was one - she got into it after she married my dad. He never was one, and for this reason, I had a semi-normal childhood. There was very little about it that was really "normal" - other than the grounding in reality I got from my dad.

I AM NOT, NOR HAVE I EVER CONSIDERED MYSELF A JW. I "grew a pair" at age 16 (1987) and left. My dad backed me up - which he would have done at any time in my life I had decided to outwardly protest. But it would've broken my mother's heart and they very likely would've divorced over it. I was trying to do what many JW kids attempt to do, and kind of gradually slip away after turning 18. I almost made it, but I remember saying something about making this short.

I will share a bit of info about the JWs, that, to their credit, should be useful to you.

If you just ask (or tell - if that suits your personality better) them not to return to your house, they will add your address to a list and do their best to respect your wishes. You can question them about their 'DNC' policy and any of them - including the 8-year-olds - should be able to tell you what I just did. I'm sure there will be folks here with stories about being harassed by relentless JWs who kept coming back after being asked not to. And I'm sure that has happened, but it is STRICTLY not their policy to do so.

I was forced to go 'house-to-house' at least once a week from pretty much 3 years old until I was almost 17. In several different cities, multiple 'congregations'. And EVERY TIME, the 'elder' in charge would make sure that everyone involved had lists of the addresses in the area that they had been asked not to return to.

That being said, I NEVER felt right about what I was being taught - as far back as 4 years old, but I can tell you about many qualities of my personality that I consider to be virtues - that I got from being taught what is mostly just a very literal interpretation of scripture.

Yeah. Long story short. Typical Teratoma. I will tell you this: They don't believe in "Hell" or any kind of everlasting torment. They would not question someone about whether they were going to heaven, because they believe that only 144,000 people (within their own organization) are heaven-bound. They believe that everyone who dies BEFORE Armageddon will be resurrected and given another chance to serve god for 1000 years, but everyone destroyed BY Armageddon will be gone forever. And that it will not come until they've been able to canvas their message to every single living human - royal blue-blood to disease-ridden refugee - and those humans make a conscious choice to "serve Jehovah" - or not. At the end of that thousand years, "perfect" conditions of humanity and the planet will be restored, blah blah blah.

I will field any questions anyone here might have - not offering to discuss the bible - but about that organization, and/or my experience with it.

[edit - grammar/spelling]

[edit on 6/18/2009 by Teratoma]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I enjoy inviting them to sit on the front porch, (don't want to invite them in teh house-vampire like compulsions)
then tell them I wish to ask questions, and break out the trusty large family bible, open it to any spot and start asking questions from random verses, unfortunately they usually don't have an answer that matches my question at which point I just start muttering in a sing song like way and they seem to have more important things to do like LEAVE

I did have 1 interesting converstaion once though and I think I may have caused them to leave the JW religion as they could not answer the question I posed and I could with the very next verse. They were really interested in the fact that the bible flat states that you should questin your church ad read and study the scripture yourself without somone interpreting for you. I hope I save someone that day

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I usually go out and start watering, whoops sorry I got you with the hose, now beat it!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Invite them in to watch Monty Python

First off, I'm active JW. Secondly, thanks for the funny video! Never gets old, always loved Monty Python... (FYI, it is about the hypocrisy of the zealous pharisees and how blind the jews were concerning God's law - e.g. why would Jehova want us to know him, but punish us for uttering his name??)

Originally posted by purplemonkeydishwasher

The marching band of that no one listens to.

Nicely put! So was Noah's family, 40 years of ridicule and harassment, but he remained steadfast...

On the OT, message is not meant to intimidate, but to wake up. God will ultimately judge every individual according to one's heart, not whether he/she is affiliated with JW:s, or not. True, Matthew 24:14 states, message will be preached all over the world, but countless individuals will never even hear the message - so it is about the choice everyone has already made in his/her heart; do I want to serve my creator, or not (even outright deny his existance)
The signs are all around you, just look outside, or the universe as whole - the complexity is inconceivable. Look at the world and what is happening to it. Take heed, humble your heart and reach out for Jehova, He has promised not to abandon a single soul who cries out for him!

Revelation 22:17 "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Deadpan]

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Deadpan]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
My sis and I had a garage sale a few weeks ago. Several JW's were the first to arrive. They were very nice, left us the same brochure and chatted for a while. Never had them slip anything under the door, nor have I ever encountered any rude, pushy or intimidating JWs. Just a nice group of folks doing what their religion requires of them. And a heck of a lot more pleasant than some folks that have come to the door soliciting this or that!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well I've been getting these on a weekly basis for years now in fact it's the exact same thing. Just a propaganda tool used to bring more people to their calling. Not saying it's incorrect data just saying it's just propaganda at this point.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I can clearly remember being heartbroken when I was a kid that the world was going to end the year I was to graduate high school. It really did shake me up as a little kid, no time for a family, college or anything adult. Good thing they were wrong....again!

I simply tell them I am not interested and to please stop coming to my house. I lived in a building and they rang every doorbell trying to get inside, I would NEVER let them in and told them every other weekend when they would show up to STOP ringing my bell. I moved now so who cares. I am hoping this complex does not allow solicitation but I also know that does not stop them.

Nice people, crazy religion.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PowerSlave
This is nothing new for the JW's. They have been handing out this stuff forever.

Yeah, I used to work with just the nicest guy who was a JW. He was always going on about this and how I was going to hell. He was genuinely concerned for me and was always trying to get me to come to meetings at their Hall.

Almost like AmWay, ermm I mean Quixtar.

They can be pretty persistent, but they really believe it and wouldn't harm a fly.

[edit on 20/6/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I had a friend who converted to Jehovah's Witnesses...or was it just Mormon? they claim to be different ya know... Anyway when he first got started with them he was all excited and used to tell me stories like how they believed the US was going to be attacked and how their people would sweep down out of the mountains and chase the invaders out...

to that end he was taking firearms training and they have this deal where they have to keep a years worth of food in the house at all times...

well that part isn't such a bad idea anyway and I guess the church provides some food????

now the only other thing I know about them is here in the western US there are a few large mines that are pretty much controlled by them... I once applied for job at what is now the OCI trona mine...had a starting pay of over $50 an hour... They were happy to see someone with my professional licenses and training... then came that fateful question... "What ward do you belong too"? the fact that I didn't know what they meant by "Ward" Meant I would never get that job nor would anyone else who didn't know...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
JW's have been preaching the end since i was a kid.

I wouldnt mind, but they think THEY are the only ones that will be saved.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

I wouldnt mind, but they think THEY are the only ones that will be saved.

Well, looking at the morality (or lack) of the modern, "civilized" society, I sometimes think how can anyone survive at all, the spiritual pressure today is enormous to say at least. It is so easy to succumb to selfishness and pride, the two things that will destroy the careless'.
Strength comes from unity, but personal perceverance is what will get us through individually. The are many, many people who are decent and loving but are too burdened to even listen - you can't blame them and neither will Jehovah. He understands your heart better than yourself

Just having arrived from the aforementioned convention, and I must say that it was refreshing, as allways. It gave strength to 'fight the good fight' and continue to tell others willing to listen about the coming Kingdom of everlasting peace...

P.S. Witnesses will respect your wishes, so if you feel disturbed, it is best to inform this directly to avoid confusion. By all means we don't wan't to harass anyone, we are just trying to reach as many as we can. And on that note, those who say we're just recruiting/after money, I ask: why would we do that? JWs are working 100% voluntarily and every member can get literature, Bibles, DVDs, attend Bible studies, etc, etc. for FREE. Considering worldwide, most people are pretty low income and can't even contribute monetarily, I would say this should then be the worst "scheme" - ever.

Matthew 6:32,33
"For all these are the [material] things the nations are eagerly pursuing. For your heavenly Father knows you need all these things. Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you".

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
We are a Nation of MANY religions and of non believers. Freedom of Religion and Freedom FROM Religion.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AceOfAces

I'll vouch for the delivery of that flyer... (Wed. 17th here.)

In my case, I had the front door open and all the windows open; it was hot, yet breezy. I had just received my new Berky Water Filtration system and was in the process of priming the new Fluoride filters... I heard the knock at the door.

"hello? Hello?"

I go to the door sweating like a pig, since I was busy moving boxes and (we are) just generally 'getting ready' for SHTF (if it happens...)

I'm soaked, holding the dripping primed filter... "Yeah, end of the world?"

"It's coming?" "You've heard that too?"

Their version is very likely, very different than what most people understand. However, they were kind enough to hand the flyer to my dripping wet hands...

"I'll show it to the wife and make sure that she knows... (that the end of the world is coming.)"

We won't likely be heading 80 miles to their meeting in southern Minnesota; We're spiritually ready and getting physically ready, also. The Survival forums on ATS are great resources.

People of faith don't need reminders; and those with little, or no other faith but in themselves, don't need reminders either. Go figure.

This is, however, another reminder that time is running short. Glad to see that JW are making the rounds in these extraordinary times. Even way out in the middle of nowhere.

God Bless The USA!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I am an active JW. Everyone is welcome to attend the 2009 convention... "Keep on the Watch" (which is what the magazine that the OP mentioned talks about). Very important information will be discussed. Admission is 100% free, and no collections are made.

We have been preaching that we are living in the last days for some time now. We believe that we are now living in the final part of "the last days", and that this satanic system (not the world) will end very soon.

For anyone interested, please view these videos:

video
video

Also, visit my youtube channel for other related videos.

PEACE!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by wyleecoyote
Time to put up the no tresspassing signs and get yourself a big dog.
If that doesn't work answer the door naked and invite them in for coffee and chat, that works everytime.

I give you star for this. Made me laugh out loud for a few minutes XD
Thanks!

[edit on 21-6-2009 by ParavengeR]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by holywar
For anyone interested, please view these videos:

video
video

Also, visit my youtube channel for other related videos.

PEACE!

I would rather clean all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue...

Now here's the real question. If only 144,000 are going to 'heaven', then why would you want to recruit more members and reduce your chance of being one of them???

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AceOfAces

I work in the hotel industry, and we just hosted the Jehovah's Witness Convention here in my little southern town. This was the 3rd in a month, and they will be having one every weekend here for the next 6 weeks. The agenda is strictly about surviving the end of days. Each time they come they are from a different district, no children are with them, adults only. They spend around 14 hrs per day listening to whatever they are being told, leaving out by 7 am and coming back to the hotel around 9pm, some even later. The organizers of this are still here at the hotel, and will be here until this is over. The first group that came were all black, and from Ohio, the second group were all hispanic, and from Texas, the group that just left were all from Tenn, and were all eldery couples, black, white and hispanic.

I know the ones who tryed to talk to me while they were in house all said the same thing, we don't have much time, and I better get my house in order, and explained that only 144 thousand people would earn the priveledge to go to God's kingdom. They gave me a book called 'reasoning', it is the strangest religous tool I have ever seen. It dogs every religion. But I have to say that all these groups have been the nicest people I have ever dealt with in this hotel, and that is saying a lot. Maybe really nice people are becoming JW because they are vulnerable, maybe they have it right, I don't know. I do know that I am going to study this book, and they are sending me another as well. I am not interested in becoming a JW, but in their religion itself, what is it about and why is it so disliked by the majority, given the personalitities of those who are JW which seems to be generally very nice, something else makes folks not like them, it has to be what they are saying/teaching. It is very different from what I have been raised to believe, I cannot believe that only 144 thousand would go to heaven, so I could never be a JW, but I still want to know about it.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by space cadet]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join