It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has America lost its status as a first-world country?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I could say the same to you - tell that to the people who are just getting by in america (and there are a lot of them).

The homeless and or jobless rates are rising by the day in america and it's only going to get worse if people keep ignoring and hiding it by pointing out how well other americans have it.

You threw out stats for the average and I was talking about the average also. We were taliking the average in Brazil and the average in America.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wyleecoyote

We do have to pay auto insurance.. for the sake of the victim first and foremost.

But the cheap or free healthcare and social policies can make life a bit easier even though we are taxed more.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

So it's settled, we move to Ireland or Brazil. Just kidding, I'm mucho happy in Guatemala.

I'm just trying to point out that America is not what it once was, and telling a poor American to buck up it could be worse if they lived elsewhere is part of what's going wrong with America. So unwilling to admit there's a huge and growing problem, to busy chanting we're number one.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
The sad thing is that you think this is bad right now just wait or go visit a real 2nd world or even 3rd world country. We are living like kings compared to them, and that includes our poor and out of work.

Your 19 and have no job yet on a computer, that puts you well ahead of the curve right there.

I lived dirt poor when I was a kid. Never much food around. Out house had a piece of tin for a door. I've also seen third world countries and by comparison I was living pretty good when I was a kid. Yep, the poor and unfortunate afflicted masses in the US don't understand what poor is. Poor is wondering if you will get food in time to live. You can't eat a wide screen television. When you think you might be poor your not, when you are actually poor you know it.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Yes we have, to an extent, in my opinion. Countrys used to fear us,a nd we gianed their respect..we had the best falwless job security amrket..tahs is failiingl thier being outsourced to anywhere but HERE in the continental USA> our eduction systm has dropped like a potato sack full of rocks...up to about the 1980's we had the best education ssytem reknown in the world...throught he 80's how many times have we alll heard on the news, teens bringiinng guns, knives and pipe bombs to schools, adn nothing was really done, toher than erecting fences and security gurads on campus or grounds. Look at some of those hot bonde teachers having sex and giving birth to some 13/14 year old kid..isnt that mathemtics or english or history time? where do we get our values from? thers a key phrase... seems every generations gets dumber and dumber and dumber...really ever see the movie Ideocracy? where everyone in the future was dumb? lol it was a comedy, but sad truth is, at the rate we are going, THIS Is going to be us. meanwhile other countrys are passing youg students in nucela physics and buisness...what do we have? accountats, lawyers and broom sweepers?
Whatever criotical thining we achivd, has been vastly flushed down the toilet. its time to regaine knowledge and power! Thats my view..stay educated,. WANT to be educaated, stay away from sex, booze, and the cigga, and those huose partys..as fun as they are, its mind dumbing..really it is. You never hear from most others oh over in india we threw this big alcoholo party, or over in china or russia, yuo never hear about them sliding down stairs into a inflatable pool full of rum n beer...why? they stayed educated..and loko at what they become comapred to us today./..the ones standing tall.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
sorry about the typos...kinda embarrrasing to post,,w ith some chopped up words lol...had part fo a nail come off at work, so got a nice fabric bandaid over it..messin up my typing

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apollumi

Originally posted by whoshotJR
The sad thing is that you think this is bad right now just wait or go visit a real 2nd world or even 3rd world country. We are living like kings compared to them, and that includes our poor and out of work.

Your 19 and have no job yet on a computer, that puts you well ahead of the curve right there.

I lived dirt poor when I was a kid. Never much food around. Out house had a piece of tin for a door. I've also seen third world countries and by comparison I was living pretty good when I was a kid. Yep, the poor and unfortunate afflicted masses in the US don't understand what poor is. Poor is wondering if you will get food in time to live. You can't eat a wide screen television. When you think you might be poor your not, when you are actually poor you know it.

Wow, being poor must REALLY suck if what I have is awesome in comparison.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
It seems to me that designations like "first world" are comparitive rather than absolute...that is, it depends on our position RELATIVE to other countries.

So has the standard of living really plummetted in ocmparison with other places? As a well-seasoned traveler, I would have to say NO. I just spent a week in Northeastern China near the North Korean border so perhaps my perspective is a bit out of whack, but I can tell you there is misery and poverty aplenty out there.

As I noted recently in another thread, the longtime writer for Asia Times who goes by the anon pen-name "Spengler" once wrote that the sure way to tell a country has come down in the world is when (to put it a bit crassly) it starts selling off its women to foreigners, in the form of mass prostitution, "mail order brides," and so on. You can certainly see this with Russia and Eastern Europe after the fall of communism, more recently in Iran, and of course this sort of thing has long been endemic in South East Asia, parts of Africa, South America, and so on.

This strikes me as an excellent (if a bit grotesque) index of decline. By that standard, the US still has quite a ways to fall.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wyleecoyote

Excellent point!!

Most of us are so sick of listening to the collective "We're No1" (no offense meant to anyone of course) that its easy to overlook how much pressure a lot of you must be under individually.

But hey, that doesn't mean the your country is screwed.. everywhere on the planet is under pressure at the moment with the economy. The US has lost the status it once had.. and its empire is almost gone but it will keep its economic power. It'll be a few years before it feels like it to the average person over there though.

I mean, you're nowhere near as bad as us haha.. we went from top three richest countries per capita and highest standard of living in the world to almost 20% unemployment in the space of a year
Its going to be a decade before we're back in the game.

[edit on 19/6/09 by Dermo]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

It's Idiocracy, cough.

Here, have a drink. I hear tell plants crave this.

www.brawndo.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

lol what a dumb map. It shows the Arab region in Green. And Vietnam is poorer than the Philippines and Malaysia which are 3rd world.

Whoever's the idiot who made that map must be American.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

You became a 3rd world country when the idiot hicks from the South started entering politics.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Has America lost it's status? I'd say almost...depends a lot on what happens with the dollar.

Here is a thread with some great links in it that make compelling arguments that our most glorious days are indeed behind us.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

To me, the most import issues are self-sufficiency and sustainability. We don't make anything anymore and we waste what we buy from other countries - forcing us to buy more and more, helping their economies, not ours.

[edit on 20/6/2009 by kosmicjack]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join