It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mich. unemployment rate hits 14.1 percent in May

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Michigan's unemployment rate jumped to 14.1 percent in May, its highest mark in nearly 26 years, according to a state report released Wednesday. The monthly seasonally adjusted rate is the highest recorded in the state since reaching 14.2 percent in July 1983. The rate is up from 12.9 percent in April and 8.2 percent a year ago. The state's job situation likely will get worse as state economists predict Michigan's unemployment rate could average 14 percent this year and more than 15 percent in 2010. The struggles of the domestic auto industry including bankruptcies of Chrysler LLC and General Motors Corp. have hit Michigan particularly hard. Gov. Jennifer Granholm had warned the latest jobless report would be ugly prior to its release.

www.businessweek.com...

Yeah, it's getting better! Only up to 14 PERCENT!! And those numbers are BS anyway because it's really higher than that.

It's going to get much worse up here with the auto companies taking a beating. I wish I lived in Texas. Michigan is one of the worst run states in the country...probably second to California.

But yeah...it's getting better. I believe Obama! Give the Fed more powers! It will help!

What a disgrace.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

yea and Obama just said that the national level would hit %10
www.bloomberg.com...

but we all know it's higher already

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well yeah... In Detroit, there's something like 25% on unemployment and 33% on food stamps... This is third world country status...

California will be bankrupt within a month, will have to shut down everything. And by everything, I mean EVERYTHING the state pays for.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

The way the numbers are work are to ease the real unemployment numbers.

When you take unemployment figures from each city numbers tend to be higher, but the higher numbers are then even out with cities that are not doing as bad.

If you take California already is cities with rates as high as 25% but the figures get even out when cities with lower rates are added.

Now the figures gets even better when they are all added nation wide as we do have some states that are doing pretty good even during this recession.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Michigan and California. Two Democrat voting states with a history of Democrat rule. You think they might wake up and elect someone who can get results? Or will they continue to blame others?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yeah, I know they don't account for those...so it's likely near 20 percent. I know quite a few people that aren't working...and I don't live in Detriot. They've been jobless for over a year and cannot get a job.

I'm still working (Luckily!) but I worry about it all the time. If we lose any more work...then we could be done. I work at a small business...the ones that SHOULD be getting help...instead we do nothing but funnel money to banks here and to other countries. We continue to let jobs leave the country because of NAFTA..we don't control immigration...GARR.

What has really been done to help American workers? We've been nothing but hammered for decades with inflation and good job losses.

No one gives a damn about the people. They just throw unemployment at you to keep you from causing to much of a stir.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I read the food stamp count this morning.. Unreal. I suppose it makes sense though with the collapse of the auto industry.

There are some industries doing well and some States but the vast majority of them are in trouble. The Dow is really having trouble getting too far past 8500 and that is very troublesome.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

yea and Obama just said that the national level would hit %10

Even though he said it would only hit...what was it...9 percent... if we passed the vaunted stimulus package?

Sometimes it feels like we jumped off a diving board, belly flopping into a pool with no water.

It's going to feel great!

top topics

join