It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a passport to change my mailing address???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Yep, you read that correctly.
I went to the post office to get change of address forms for my son who moved out on his own. They gave me the forms, and told me he needed to come back with them in person, and bring his passport and drivers license as proof of ID and citizenship.
My freakin jaw dropped.
He didn't move out of the damn country, WTF is this passport crap.
I told the employee that he didn't have a passport, never needed one, and it's a big hassle to get one.
So he needs to show his driver's license, birth certificate, and social insurance number..just to get his freakin' mail delivered to an address 20 minutes away from where it comes now.
Oh, my, god.
So next, is a passport with a chip in it, that will hold all your info i'm sure..license, health insurance, bank info..blah, blah blah..
What a bunch of BS.
My country is going down the toilet too.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Just send in the completed form and it should be cool.
Pay no mind to the idiots behind the counter, they know not of what they speak.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

Wish it were that easy..but it MUST be done in person.
Wow...like terrorists are going around forwarding other people's mail.
sheesh

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Hmm. That's weird. When I changed my address to a friend of mine's when I moved over here to Germany last November, I just filled out the form, at my local post office, put it in the envelope and then dropped it in the box. The very next day the USPS stopped mail delivery at my old address. I didn't even have to talk to anyone. Just had to sign the thing saying that I was me and that if I was caught lying I'd face a $5000 fine and imprisonment.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I am going to assume that this was in the United States? Here in Canada all you need to do is fill out the form and pay a $30.00 or so redirect fee.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
I am going to assume that this was in the United States? Here in Canada all you need to do is fill out the form and pay a $30.00 or so redirect fee.

Nope..i live in ontario canada.
shocking..yes?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
all I can say is WOW. I have to agree with Subject X, the guy at the counter must be a complete idiot...OR he is looking for copies of your personal info like your Birth certificate, Passport and SIN number for nefarious reasons.

There is no law as of yet that requires ANY of the information he was asking for.

Also, and I hate to ask but... if you are of a race, creed or religion that has been under the scrutiny of the powers that be (racial profiling etc) perhaps he thought we would take matters into his own hands and in his mind "help fight terrorism" by getting info on a suspicious person. I know, far fetched but you never know.....

do you look suspicious?

I believe you can change your address online now too.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Actually I'm white, and the employee at the counter has worked there for the last three years.
i need to look this up methinks..because she said it is new this year..hmmm

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
From online application :

* Old/New address
* Move Date
* Contact information (phone number, email address)
* Credit Card number and expiration
* Required to assist in authentication:
o Date of birth
o Social Insurance Number (optional)
o Driver's Licence number and Province of issue (optional)
o Knowledge of your personal credit history

NOTHING ABOUT A PASSPORT!!!!
WTF!

www.canadapost.ca
So is it standard now to ask for a passport as required ID?? omg..
Passports, not just for traveler's anymore.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

To be fair, you would be pretty pissed if someone went in and changed your mailing address to some random address for a joke because the policy on changing address was too lax.

Maybe they meant passport OR drivers license..?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

To be fair, you would be pretty pissed if someone went in and changed your mailing address to some random address for a joke because the policy on changing address was too lax.

Maybe they meant passport OR drivers license..?

i understand that..i was told both.
of course there needs to be security measures, and i agree photo ID.
but a passport as an accepted form of photo ID for something like this seems very extreme to me, and the process to get a passport here is nuts.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Ah right, we use passports here for most things so I didnt realize it was such a big deal

Both is a bit stupid, its definitely as hard to get a drivers license as it is to get a passport

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I've done it 2 times this year, and all I had to do was go to this site

moversguide.usps.com...

Last time I did it they charged my debit card a dollar for some sort of proof.. Don't listen to the people at the office. Nine times out of Ten they are just trying to get more money out of you. Good Luck

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
That sucks, I live in GA and I changed mine online. No problems at all... that is strange though!

new topics

top topics

join