It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olive Garden pulls Letterman ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Letterman's poor taste in "humor" has started to hit him in the pocketbook.

article

Following a week of back and forth between CBS late night comic David Letterman and Sarah Palin over a crude joke he told about the Alaska Republican governor’s daughter, the Olive Garden restaurant says it is cancelling all of its scheduled ads on Letterman’s “Late Show” for the rest of the year.

In an email to a Letterman critic obtained by POLITICO, a spokeswoman for the Italian restaurant chain wrote that “there will be no more Olive Garden ads scheduled for ‘The Late Show’ with David Letterman in this year's broadcast schedule,” citing the talk show host’s “inappropriate comments.”

Read more: www.politico.com...&C

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Crappy Italian food and crappy late nite comedy, it is a match made in heaven really!

Conan is much funnier anyway.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Another example that "freedom of speech" does not mean there might not be a reaction to what someone says.

Olive Garden is also free to spend their advertising dollars wherever they see fit. Obviously, Letterman's show is not one of those places.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High

Really? You think so? That puts you definitely in a minority according to ratings services, etc.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I applaud them for doing so. At least someone in corporate America still has the balls to stand up for decency and respect and isn't afraid to put their ideals where their pocketbook is.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Letterman's poor taste in "humor" has started to hit him in the pocketbook.

Really?

As Furor Over Palin Joke Rages, Letterman Rises in the Ratings

Yeah, he's suffering.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think he will be retiring very soon.

That way both him and CBS will save face.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Olive Garden pulls Letterman ads

So what! Anyone that eats that crappy industrial, mass produced, MSG laden food deserves what they get.

Patronize your local Mom and Pop restaurant; tell the corporate scum where to stick it.

www.darden.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

MSG tastes great, don't put it down just because it isn't great for you.

That is what makes chinease takeout so good.

Now I'm getting hungry just thinking about lo mein with chicken, beef and shrimp. Going to order some now.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Ratings don't mean squat if the advertisers aren't there with cash in hand and ads to fill commercial slots. Advertising money pays for the show, not ratings.

Also, before you go saying "ah who cares about Olive Garden!" you might want to think about who else Olive Garden is connected to. Olive Garden is owned by Darden Restaurants who also own:

Bahama Breeze
Capital Grille
Red Lobster
Seasons 52 Steakhouse
Longhorn Steakhouse

www.darden.com...

If Olive Garden is pulling their ads, these other restaurants just might do the same. That's a tremendous loss of revenue from Letterman's show.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Ratings don't mean squat if the advertisers aren't there with cash in hand and ads to fill commercial slots. Advertising money pays for the show, not ratings.

Actually you could not be more wrong and right at the same time ...

Advertising revenue is directly related and proportional to ratings. And you can be sure that as The Olive Garden steps out, there will be dozens of companies ready to take their place.

In fact just as the Palin controversy was obviously timed to coincide with O'Brian taking over the Tonight Show, Olive Garden is using same controversy to muster up some extra publicity for themselves.

All the meanwhile, willing demagogues such as yourselves, who believe that any of these people care about the issue (such as it may be), are fueling both their profits.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

And you can be sure that as The Olive Garden steps out, there will be dozens of companies ready to take their place.

If that's true, then I would have to agree with you. If there are companies with the money and the means. But are they advertisers that the network approves of and can afford the Letterman timeslot? Olive Garden is a huge franchise capable of coughing up a lot of cash. Are there other corporate advertisers clamoring for an ad spot during Letterman? That's what I question.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Well, it's always helpful when we check the facts:

Olive Garden Says It Did Not Cancel Ads on Letterman Show

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Too bad for Olive Garden's business acumen.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Someone definately got their wires crossed over at Politico - though the story isn't entirely baseless:

Mr. Jeffers contradicted that and said there was no remaining schedule of commercials to cancel. “We pulled no ads,” he said. Asked if Olive Garden would buy new commercials in the Letterman show, Mr. Jeffers said, “There has been no decision along those lines yet.”

Source is from the link posted above by SD.

They have no ads to cancel because the ones that ran have run their course, however, they have not planned new ones either.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Someone definately got their wires crossed over at Politico - though the story isn't entirely baseless:

Mr. Jeffers contradicted that and said there was no remaining schedule of commercials to cancel. “We pulled no ads,” he said. Asked if Olive Garden would buy new commercials in the Letterman show, Mr. Jeffers said, “There has been no decision along those lines yet.”

Source is from the link posted above by SD.

They have no ads to cancel because the ones that ran have run their course, however, they have not planned new ones either.

---

Cool. But wondering if you can point us to where you found that info?
Decoy

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Honestly who cares. It's not like he was praising neo-nazis or something. Pulling an ad over a joke, but thinking that business would understand comedy is a bit of a joke in itself. This is just a calculated move to gain more costumers, look at the free advertisement they're getting for saying they aren't going to advertise

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Decoy

It's in the post - "Source is same link posted by SD" which is this one:
mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
That's the best way to protest really!
None of this whiny "get his arse fired for what he said and because he hurt my feelings" type attitude that most libs tend to live their lives by.

I wonder what Imus is doing now, and Michael "Kramer" Richards too?

I think Letterman now needs to apologize to all Flight Attendants.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by Ace High

Really? You think so? That puts you definitely in a minority according to ratings services, etc.

I am often in the minority, and proud of it.

Conan has a self-depreciating style that I find very funny. Letterman has always rubbed me the wrong way. I don't know, maybe it is just the late nights from my college days. I wasn't in when Dave was on.

top topics

join