It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Continental flight lands safely after pilot dies en-route

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Continental flight lands safely after pilot dies en-route

news.yahoo.com

NEWARK, N.J. – The Federal Aviation Administration says a plane carrying a pilot who died in mid-flight has landed safely at the airport in Newark, N.J.

Spokeswoman Arlene Salac says Continental Airlines Flight 61 landed at 11:49 a.m.

Airline spokeswoman Kelly Cripe says the pilot died of natural causes Thursday on the flight from Brussels, Belgium, to Newark.

Cripe says he was a 61-year-old man with more than 20 years of service to the airline.

She says the flight continued safely with two other pilots at the controls.

Cripe says the Boeing 777 carried 247 passengers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Glad to see that everybody was okay but saddened by the loss of the pilot. It appears that the co-pilot and another pilot took over the flight and were able to make its destination with no other issues. Im guessing that it was a heart attack or a stroke. The incident happened at mid flight so Im assuming that there was no where to divert that was closer than the destination.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I also think the crew did the right thing by not announcing that there was a problem, thus avoiding mas hysteria.
That said, they did ask if there was a doctor on board... I would have been sweating just from hearing that lol!

To be honest, shouldnt there be a member of cabin crew on board that has atleast some basic medical training?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Could this be called a "deadstick landing"?

Glad that things worked out well, but sorry for the pilot's family.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

"deadstick landing"
I'm running around flapping my arms, that's so funny!

Yes, my condolences to pilot's family. And if I must fly, I think I will keep Continental in mind.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kliskey

To be honest, shouldnt there be a member of cabin crew on board that has atleast some basic medical training?

Define basic! Someone keeling over at the controls and croaking and CPR suddenly becomes useless. Do you think that there should always be a RN on board? I wouldn't want a vet doing serious surgery to me even if he might be able to do it right.

new topics

top topics

join