It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Women's Revolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Iran's Women's Revolution

www.thedailybeast.com

When Iranian authorities suppressed the results of last Friday’s presidential election, they also suppressed a huge outpouring of feminist political fervor. Contrary to media reports focusing on the outspokenness of Zahra Rahnavard, wife of reformist candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi, feminist politics are hardly new to Iran. Iranian women have been agitating for political change since the early 20th century, when they participated in the Constitutional Revolution of 1906. In 1979, women provided key support for the Islamic Revolution. During the intervening years, they have played a key role in
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I have noticed, in the footage sent by the media from Iran, that many, many women are in the crowds of protesters. Many but not all of them are wearing long black dresses and have their mouths and lower half of their faces covered--only the eyes can be seen. But there are a striking number of women who wear only the headscarves and no veil--probably an act of defiance. There are also some children present. It surprised me to see either one there at all, as there is the danger of violence to them, and probably many traditional Iranian husbands and fathers would strongly object, and maybe even forbid, their women to participate.

I think it's a very wise of the women not to dress too "western" in this instance and cause even more reaction from the authorities. They have chosen not to sidetrack the original purpose of the protests, and probably realize that a new government will hopefully bring about many of the changes they want.

I think I must be a bit of a cultural imperialist, but I support the struggle of Iranian women for greater freedom and autonomy. It doesn't seem that the women have been unduly influenced by outsiders, but that their movement is home-grown.

www.thedailybeast.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Christianity had the same thing.

The west will make all those people start thinking about sex, and one day there religion will be diluted to nothing like christianity in the west.

Its the only and best way for the west to do it, and people wanting more freedoms will fall for it, and the iranian people do not know they are falling into the trap of the west.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

he west will make all those people start thinking about sex

????
How exactly people multiply in Iran right now, by cloning them-self? There is no sex in non-Western countries? This is pretty weird.
West is materialistic, true. It brings mediocricy out in everyone, true. But it is not responsible for sex instinct - there are other forces responsible for that. "Go forth and multiply" was here before West.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Either they follow their religion or it means nothing. Sounds like those females believe their religion is BS. You cant have both. What Andys saying is americas pretty much shown it thinks christianity is BS because we dont keep the laws anymore. One being women arent allowed to speak in church, etc etc... Can go on forever. I respect those covered Iranian females far more that any female in America today. We live in a society of whoredom where people trash their bodies until they are to old to do so and then want to latch on to someone and settle down because no one wants them. It makes me want to puke.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Why do you and Memysabu reduce the women's movement to nothing but sex? Women are more than just sex objects.

They want the right to vote, to have meaningful work and to have a voice in their government. They want to be respected for the quality of their minds.

Some early Christian men were very sexist, it's true. But that was because of the times they lived in. There are a lot of things in the Bible that people don't do anymore, like stoning adulterers, putting "witches" to death, etc. Modern Christians have moved on and become more enlightened as civilization as a whole has become more enlightened. It's only the most backward so-called Christians who think women should not have the right to vote, for example. They do not represent all Christians or even most of them.

I can't speak for Islam, because I do not know enough about it. But nowhere in the article does it say the women want to change their religion. They are fighting for much more than the right to be immoral.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

Why do you and Memysabu reduce the women's movement to nothing but sex? Women are more than just sex objects.

That's entirely correct. They can also wash and iron.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

According to the article, 42% of Iranian women are unemployed.

Ahmadinejad has suggested polygamy as a solution.

Great.

Maybe they should set up laundromats instead

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

Excuse me? What society of whoredom are you referring to? Obviously one's life experience's would have to lead them to the conclusion that women are all sexual predators who, being exhausted from a life of sexual promiscuity, then turns in old age, to find a man.

Do you not realize how positively ludicrous this is?

What a very sad and misguided interpretation of life. Pathological, if I may say so.

Would you care to back up these very strong generalizations with some
some statistics?

What percentage of women, in your estimation, are
wh.........sexual predators? And are out to only use men?
I'm just curious.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Only Women can free Women.

Any woman who allows herself to be subservient to Man - for whatever reason (religion/culture - whatever (not talking spousal abuse) must hold herself personally responsible.

It is unfortunate that many women believe it is their lot in life for being born female. They need to understand it is not just a belief - - it is also a Choice they are making. Choice to accept a belief.

Only in numbers - unity and Choice not to accept - can women gain independence.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Sestias most Iranian women do not wear the full covering. Most wear just a headscarf and its pushed back to reveal the front part of the head/hair.

Iran is a weird place, the people have a desire and passion to be more western(in the traditional sense) than many people in western countries do. But the govt is so radically muslim.

The women you see in the pictures at the protests are wearing the full covering so as to not give excuse to the tyrannical govt to send out the police.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Some telling reactions on this thread.

I sincerely hope that the women of Iran someday find themselves with a culture and government that at least grants them more independence.

Yes, perhaps I'm being insensitive towards Islamic countries, but I feel it's wrong to allow institutional misogyny simply because it's a religious tradition.

[edit on 6/19/2009 by Romantic Rights]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer

The women you see in the pictures at the protests are wearing the full covering so as to not give excuse to the tyrannical govt to send out the police.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

new topics

top topics

join