It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Spaceport Ever Begins Construction this Friday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da1fc4e1b1f2.jpg[/atsimg]

Spaceport America will be the first spaceport in history, and it will host commercial operations by private space travel companies, like Virgin Galactic.

www.spaceportamerica.com...

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review This Link

[edit on Thu Jun 18 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

There are several space ports in existence already. If my memory serves correctly, Jacksonville, FL was the first public one. Of course Houston, and Cape Canaveral were before that.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about an ex-Soviet country building a huge one, and making it a tourist stop.

Still, good information, and cool pic!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by warrenb

There are several space ports in existence already. If my memory serves correctly, Jacksonville, FL was the first public one. Of course Houston, and Cape Canaveral were before that.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about an ex-Soviet country building a huge one, and making it a tourist stop.

Would that be kazachastan? (sp)?

Good to know we are building these, hopefully there will be affordable space travel for the general population!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Reading

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yep, Kazakhstan is the winner!

It is pretty cool, that there seems to be a race to build bigger and better spaceports! What do they all know that we don't?

It seems this N.M. one from the OP will be the largest and most expensive one in the works so far!!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

i didnt think of it like that but your right, there does seem to be a race goin on here to build space ports.... why?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reading

reply to post by warrenb

Would that be kazachastan? (sp)?

Good to know we are building these, hopefully there will be affordable space travel for the general population!

Jacksonville, Florida here.

Are you referring to NAS Jacksonville, the old Navy airbase that's been de-commisioned? If so, I don't think those plans ever really "got off the ground".

Maybe you have some links, or let me know what gave you the idea thay were doing this.

I'm very interested in this and I've totallly missed the info.

Thanks in advance!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
We have had working space ports since at least 2004

Mojave Spaceport

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
reply to post by getreadyalready

there does seem to be a race goin on here to build space ports.... why?

Its Because the technologies for private companies to be able to make the trip are becoming very common place as of late. every single day people discover ways to do what NASA does, but twice as well and for half the money and with a HECK of alot less red tape. If you are a millionaire investor, space is the place right now.

I myself wont be impressed until we have a space hotels with rooms costing less than $10,000 a night.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

Hi Jax,

Jacksonville's plans are heating up. They aren't dead yet!

I won't list all the links, I typed "Jacksonville spaceport" into google and got tons of links.

Here are a couple of the more recent ones:

April 16, 2009
www.techjournalsouth.com...

May 12, 2009
www.msnbc.msn.com...

It is Cecil Field they are considering.

My original comment came from giant posters that were all over the airport last time I flew into there. They had slogans like "America's First Spaceport." I thought they were referring to the airport, but it seems you are correct and it was Cecil Field.

Here is a cool site also:
www.spaceflorida.gov...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Awesome picture

This is great news and the spaceport looks like a for real 21st century architecture. Hope to see space exploration and tourism really take off soon, NASA has done some great things but they really aren't cutting it anymore IMHO.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
We will all see God before we go through security on a ride.
Yet Timberlane can spend more of his pop song millions to
go in Russian orbit again.

Space port for millionaires, that will fly like the US Concorde.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

reply to post by MajesticJax

Hi Jax,

Jacksonville's plans are heating up. They aren't dead yet!

I won't list all the links, I typed "Jacksonville spaceport" into google and got tons of links.

Here are a couple of the more recent ones:

April 16, 2009
www.techjournalsouth.com...

May 12, 2009
www.msnbc.msn.com...

It is Cecil Field they are considering.

My original comment came from giant posters that were all over the airport last time I flew into there. They had slogans like "America's First Spaceport." I thought they were referring to the airport, but it seems you are correct and it was Cecil Field.

Here is a cool site also:
www.spaceflorida.gov...

Wow, thanks for the info! I'm about 5 miles from Cecil Field. I would definitely be able to see & hear a launch.

Cecil Field also has one of the years BEST airshows. A must-see.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
i wonder how much it would cost for a commercial space-flight.....i cant wait for flying in space to become the norm, man i'd book the very first ticket!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I live a stones throw from the purposed space port in New Mexico.

We locals who are very familiar with Gov. Bill and his projects are cautiously skeptical. Will this be an operational space port with the accompanying manufacture of space vehicles? That could provide a lot of high tec jobs and their are a lot of techies available here.

Or, as many here suspect, a manufactured tourist destination, film back lot for sifi movies, etc.

Time and Taxes will tell.........

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Will these Spaceports generally for intercontintal flights? or are they sightseeing rides. It might take say 10 years for it to become affordable enough for the normal person and I think it would be worth it for a glimpse of earth.

new topics

top topics

join