It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa prepares to bomb the moon

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Are they going to use the Hubble for viewing this? I seam to recall they aimed the Hubble at the moon and crashed a satellite into the surface.

I just saw a preview for a new made for t.v. movie today about the moon breaking apart. Airing this Sunday night?

This coincides with the new digital switchover. Hmmm

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What day is this? I really wanna see, not sure it's a good idea tho lmao!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It hits Oct 8th and is really small... they say you should view with a 10 or 12 inch telescope... so it's not going to be this huge explosion

Stuff way bigger and faster hit the moon all the time. It probably get hits bigger than this over a few months constantly. I've seen stuff hit it before through a telescope.. by chance. This time NASA will post the exact location and time for all to see. That is the point of this mission after all, to analyze and see if there is frozen ice in the bottom of a crater.

It's like a arrow digging into the surface, there is no actual explosives.. just using the velocity of the thing to drill a hole pretty much. Should be 20 meters across or so.

LCROSS

[edit on 18-6-2009 by SecretUsername]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Hopfully somebody will get some sort of video of it happening, its probably the war thats raging out in space.. Maybe there going to attack who or whats on the moon and this is a cover story so people wont be spooked by the possible sightings of explosions.. The official story is aload of cods wallop thats for sure..

Flag from me............

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Ignorance Denied]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretUsername

wher are you getting the date, Oct 8 from?

link

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

Edited to add my source check above

There is video and a little gif file somewhere in there with a comparative hit filmed through a telescope.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

That link shows liftoff in 1 hour and 33 minutes. That means it will lift off at 02:12 E.S.T. Not 5:12!

The impact is still going to be October though, so nothing to see tonight.

That huge photo link of the "living moon" is awesome. Thanks for the link! That is a very, very bright spot you pointed out!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Nasa LCROSS Press Release

LCROSS also uses the spent second stage of the Atlas rocket, the Centaur, as an SUV-sized kinetic impactor–
something that has never been done before-to excavate a small crater in the bottom of a permanently shadowed lunar crater.

Impact
To maximize the creation of a debris plume, the impacts of the Centaur rocket and the LCROSS shepherding spacecraft need sufficient speed and a high angle of impact. Engineers have estimated that the Centaur and LCROSS spacecraft will impact the lunar surface at approximately 1.55 miles per second (2.5 km/s), five times faster than a bullet fired from a .44 Magnum. The projected angle of impact is approximately 80 degrees with respect to the lunar surface.

To achieve this high angle of impact, the LCROSS spacecraft and the Centaur will execute a flyby of the moon approximately five days after launch entering into an extended LGALRO. This portion of the mission is expected to be four months.

The exact length of the LGALRO is dependent on exact time of launch and is calculated to satisfy a number of mission constraints including achieving the targeted crater and the correct phase and tilt of the moon for proper illumination of the debris plume at the time of impact.

At launch, the LCROSS team will announce the lunar pole and the primary target crater. Factoring any additional information,
a final determination of the target crater will be made 30 days before impact.

On final approach to the moon, the LCROSS spacecraft and the Centaur will separate. The shepherding spacecraft will perform
a braking maneuver and will reorient to point the instrument payload to capture the Centaur impact.

After the Centaur impacts, the LCROSS spacecraft will have up to four minutes of data collection and transmit that data back to LCROSS
Mission Control.

LCROSS is required to achieve a targeting accuracy of approximately 6.2 miles (10 km) radius, but is expected to be significantly
more accurate (0.75 or 1.2 km radius).
The Centaur impact crater is expected to be approximately 90 feet (27 m) in diameter by 16 feet (5 m) deep, while the

LCROSS spacecraft impact crater is expected to be approximately 60 feet (18 m) in diameter by 10 feet (3 m) deep. The
impact is expected to create a very brief visible flash that will last less than 100 milliseconds. Most of the excavated material
or ejecta will be thrown upward at a velocity of more than 820 feet per second (250 m/sec.)

Studies using the Ames Vertical Gun Range indicate the LCROSS impacts will create a significantly larger crater than Lunar
Prospector (LP) that impacted the moon at 1 mile/sec (1.7 km/sec) with a mass of 348 pounds (158 kg) at a glancing angle
of 6 degrees.

A couple things according to that release.. We've got a long time till the actual impact occurs (4+months). Its much larger & faster than anything that's been done before.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I am not understanding the purpose for blasting the moon. Is this for scientific research or what? I understand why they might want to sample certain things, but this is a bad idea.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

And where, in that link, does it specify the telescope requirements to view this explosion?

I really want to see it

EDIT: Oh I found it, here it is: lcross.arc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 18/6/2009 by kingsnake]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Im surprised they dont fly a "hijacked" commercial airliner into the moon, blame some hairy guy in a cave and take away more of our rights while spilling more bloodshed and starting an intergalactic war in the name of "Freedom and Democracy"

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0010110011101
reply to post by WendyHalo

OK, I didnt know that this experiment had been done 3 times before. If NASA have slammed 3 different objects into the moon for this sort of test before, why are they doing it again?

Is the difference this time that we have something up there orbiting to take more accurate measurements or what?

Or is it simply a case of if at first you dont succeed, try, try, try and try again?!?!?!

How about blow up a bunch of crap up there before other countries start landing probes and men?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingsnake

And where, in that link, does it specify the telescope requirements to view this explosion?

I really want to see it

I don't know squat about the telesccope/cam requirements, but I recall seeing a video clip animation on NASA TV that tells how they can measure the flying debris particles for composition. I suspect its a spectrometer chromatography type of a device.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I wonder if NASA considers this to a ground breaking

Might as well send a bulldozer while we are at it. You just know that McDonalds wants to build a double-decker next to the big crater.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Well, that might not be to nice being we have bases setup there along with old ancient Astronaut information up there.

And yes I am speaking of the human format. But then again what is it to be human and maybe we have a lot of downsizing to do.

Okay I don't want any of you figuring out about your ancient past not only on the moon but Mars stay away from there. Religion might not be able to handle it. It might make things go cosmic.

You might have to come up with a better bed time story to the kids.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by menguard]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This is screwed up big time, it is breaking the space treaty.

Also there are much more effective ways to dig down. we have been doing this on earth for a long time:

Something very fishy about this, They are destroying something on the moon/covering it with debris.

or they know something is going to build/open/land there at that time.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What about the old story about the moon ringing like a bell when it has been struck in the past?

(one of the times this has been discussed)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Do you think whoever is hiding inside will come out to answer the doorbell this time?

berth

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
A thought, what if they know that somthing is just under the surface, that when revealed will be shocking. And would Give a huge boost to NASA's Dwindleing funding?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
wow, talk about a misleading article. I expected to read about the entire moon being blown up.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join