It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa prepares to bomb the moon

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by 0010110011101

I could not locate any information on the site linked to , nor any links on that site, as to the exact date of IMPACT with Luna... any clues anyone ?

LCROSS may be one of NASA's most participatory missions. If the spacecraft launches on schedule at 12:51 p.m. Wednesday, it would hit the moon in the early morning hours of Oct. 8. The cloud from the 350 metric tons of debris kicked up by the Centaur booster should spread six miles above the surface of the moon, hitting the sunlight and making it visible to amateur astronomers across North America. The space agency is enlisting telescopes around the country to help monitor the impact.

Source...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Where in the word does it state on the NASA website that it is going to BOMB the Moon??

The only thing it states is

LCROSS, on the other hand, will guide an empty upper stage on a collision course with a permanently shaded crater in an effort to kick up evidence of water at the moon's poles. LCROSS itself will also impact the lunar surface during its course of study.

An Empty upper stage!!

There are steroids crashing on to the moon with enough force equivalent to Missiles. And nothing has happened so far.

Newspapers HAVE to Sensationalize the story. telegraph was an OK newspaper, now its .ing the way of SUN. Sheesh!!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I really wish people would do there homework before posting on here.

First of all the moons pressure is about one-trillionth of Earth's atmospheric pressure. Meaning all the debri from the crater they make is going to fly out into space at very high speeds. Maybe even collide with something else. "to come together with solid or direct impact"

Now if the moon is anything like earth and has underground hollow cavens in it. And if Nasa impacts on top of one of these cavens then that crator then becomes a massive chunk out of the moon, Which will do alot more damage then expected.

Now if the moon has hollow tunnels through it like here on earth and is held together via the crust mainly. Then I would suggest U . underground. "Feel free to look on ebay as every now and then on rare occasions EX military underground bunkers and labs come up as real estate for sale. They start at "$1,000,000 US"

Now there have been many censored reports that "Yes" they have found ancient fossils in the luna soil samples that where brought back to earth. They have found structures up there as well. But they always airbrush these out of there pictures. Before they show them to the public. "standed protocol.

Now when Nasa say they dont intend to return to the moon till 2020, that is a croc of bollix. in ww2 Hitler developed the technology To travel faster then any jet powerd rocket could travel.

newspundit.web.aplus.net...

www.puppstheories.com...

Or just type "NAZI UFO" in to google and select "images"

Now if they had this in ww2 just imagine what they have now. Here are some of the craft he developed and tested

Haunebu 1 from dec. 1944
diam.25 m
Drive:Thule tachyomator 7b (antigravitation eqpm.)
Steuerung/steering: mag-feld-impulser
Velocity: 4800-17000km/h
Capacity: 18 h in air
Crew 8 people

Haunebu II From 1943-44

diam.26,3 m
Drive: Thule tachyomator 7b (antigravitation eqpm.)
Velocity: 6000-21000km/h
Capacity: 55 h in air
Crew 9 people

Haunebu III From sometimes in-1945

diam.71 m
Drive:Thule tachyomator 7b and Schuman levitators (antigravitation eqpm.)
Velocity: 7000-40000km/h
Capacity: 8 weeks in air
Crew 32 people

Vril1 from sept 44

diam.11.5 m
Drive:Schuman levitator (antigravitation eqpm.)
Velocity: 2900-12000km/h
Capacity: 5.5 h in air

Now most of this technology dissapeared after the war as all the scientis whiere shiped to America. I am currently in Prague .ing to Pilzen, skoda works where Some of this technology was developed underground. And believe it or not most people dont even know that these EX NAZI bases are directly benieth them as its mostly residental area on top of these underground bases now. Anyone out there want to come on a trip feel free to give me a holla.

We really need to wake up a bit more people. From 1950s the technology world split in two. Sadly enough you's are living the the 1st world.

So this whole business of we are going to blow up the moon in serch of water is a croc of bollix. Anyone who is really switched should already know everything I have just said.

What's the real reason they want to make a crator?

As I stated earlier in my other post in 1996 they found water up there but soon after it was coverd up.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nathan267
First of all the moons pressure is about one-trillionth of Earth's atmospheric pressure. Meaning all the debri from the crater they make is going to fly out into space at very high speeds. Maybe even collide with something else. "to come together with solid or direct impact"

Puppy Poop When Smart 1 from ESA hit it made a plume of dust that dispersed over a wide area

Now if the moon is anything like earth and has underground hollow cavens in it. And if Nasa impacts on top of one of these cavens then that crator then becomes a massive chunk out of the moon, Which will do alot more damage then expected.

Man I wish you would do your homework... How is that small impact going to hit hard enough for your 'massive chunk of the moon' to achieve escape velocity? Nice faerie tale

rest is off topic...

What's the real reason they want to make a crator?

To confirm there is ice there. When they don't find any they will have an excuse NOT to go back to the moon, something they are already talking about canceling. If they find no water ice, they will be able to say... "Well that's that no water no colony"

As I stated earlier in my other post in 1996 they found water up there but soon after it was coverd up.

As I stated do your homework. It wasn't covered up its right here;

DoD News Briefing
Tuesday, December 3, 1996 - 1:45 p.m.
Subject: Discovery of Ice on the Moon

Q: That translates to what in volume?

A: We were very conservative in the press release, but if you take basically 100 square kilometers by roughly 50 feet, you get a volume of something like a quarter of a cubic mile, I think it's on that order. It's a considerable amount, but it's not a huge glacier or anything like that.

Q: Can you compare that with something you know?

A: It's a lake. A small lake.

www.defenselink.mil...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nathan267

Homework indeed, none of the rocks ejected will have enough escape velocity to escape the moons gravity. Some (very small) debris might sort of orbit meters off the surface for awhile (if they are thrown up at the right angle/speed), but nothing should have that much thrust to escape. You can't throw a baseball off the moon.. it will come back eventually.. unless you can somehow throw at the Escape Velocity needed. Yup the moon has gravity too!

Things hit that are way bigger and way faster than this all the time and nothing has broken off. I won't even get into the rest of your post as you obviously have not done your homework

[edit on 21-6-2009 by SecretUsername]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I dont hate you because you have an IQ below 100. Read this fact sheet.

www.spacegrant.hawaii.edu...

There is hardly any gravity on the moon there for things will go flying.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
They are launching a bomb to the moon. Not dinamite, there will be a crator. It does not matter if there is debri or dust. If it impacts ontop of a caven or if the theory of hollow moon turns out to be true, then we are up # creek. We dont even know how thick the crust of the moon is. It has an effect on our tides thoe so something up there has a influence.

Originally posted by SecretUsername

Homework indeed, none of the rocks ejected will have enough escape velocity to escape the moons gravity. Some (very small) debris might sort of orbit meters off the surface for awhile (if they are thrown up at the right angle/speed), but nothing should have that much thrust to escape. You can't throw a baseball off the moon.. it will come back eventually.. unless you can somehow throw at the Escape Velocity needed. Yup the moon has gravity too!

Things hit that are way bigger and way faster than this all the time and nothing has broken off. I won't even get into the rest of your post as you obviously have not done your homework

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   

They are launching a bomb to the moon.

Care to show me the data sheet that says BOMB?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LazyGuy

Thanks, a bit of research on this in the first place may of stopped people getting Pis*#d . This is not the first nor the last time this will happen.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

The moon gets hit by much powerful impacts constantly. This is very small, can I not say this enough? The average mass and speed of impacts per year is actually FAR greater than this. It gets hit by things with more mass, traveling at faster speeds all the time. This will make a 20 meter crater... there is craters that go on for miles.. some of the "flat lands" of the moon are actually even craters. So saying a little NASA ship the mass of a SUV will blow up or crack the moon is just redicilus.

Do the math yourself on the escape velocity. What speeds and angle, would need to happen to escape the moon... take in to your equation that this ship is only going 2x the speed of a bullet when it hits. Also take into your equation Einstein that the force will not be constant. You get the energy of impact of something going 2x the speed of a bullet and that is it. How big can a object be to escape with that much energy? Come back and tell us how its possible anything that escapes can be a threat to Earth. I already know you won't do this.. but maybe someone else will for fun. The equations are on my other post at the wiki site

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Now what gets me is all this concern over the moon... but there was a project called Deep Impact 1. Basically they crashed a satellite (impactor) onto Comet Tempel 1. Did you all make such a fuss about it back then? It COULD of split or changed course to Earth.. but no one said anything. Or maybe people on this board were saying the same thing about it back then.. I was not around so don't know. But nothing happened... to a COMET. It did not blow it up, I don't even think it changed course at all. Here is a quote from the Deep Impact 1 team "It appears most likely that the impactor did not create a large new zone of activity and may have failed to liberate a large quantity of pristine material from beneath the surface."

The moon is a lot bigger... than a comet, so please calm down everyone.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

They are launching a bomb to the moon.

Care to show me the data sheet that says BOMB?

Well, the LCROSS is a kinetic weapon, its mass will hit the surface of the moon with a speed of 2.5km/s, that is a lot of energy on impact. The dust plume will be something like 6km high up above the lunar surface, i have no data on how deep they (NASA) think the impact crater will be.

As a side note, i think this impact will be comparable to a mosquito colliding with an elephants ass, even 1/1000 of that, i am more concerned that there might be artefacts on the moon that will be destroyed. Let the LRO photo every inch of the surface before impact ?

[edit on 2009/6/21 by reugen]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Nathan, go back to school, mate!

Take some science classes. Take some physics. Try to understand the term "kinetic energy". Take some astronomy classes. Learn about things called "meteorites" and "asteroids". Hint: They are quite common in our immediate vicinity, although the really big ones that threaten to collide are much fewer and far between than, say, two BILLION years or so, ago, when the Moon (and Earth) were being bombarded nearly constantly.
Looks like the Moon survived impacts far greater than a puny rocket stage built by Humans.

Whilst you're about it, consider some reading comprehension courses as well. Seriously. You've linked data, from University of Hawai'i to Scientific American, yet you seem to have failed in fully understanding it!!!

Homework, indeed.

You seem to like Wikipedia, so here:

From an article about Barringer Crater (commonly known as Meteor Crater) in Arizona, USA

en.wikipedia.org...

...The object that excavated the crater was a nickel-iron meteorite about 50 meters (54 yards) across, which impacted the plain at a speed of several kilometers per second. The speed of the impact has been a subject of some debate. Modelling initially suggested that the meteorite struck at a speed of up to 20 kilometers per second (45,000 mph), but more recent research suggests the impact was substantially slower, at 12.8 kilometers per second (28,600 mph). It is believed that about half of the impactor's 300,000 tonnes (330,000 short tons) bulk was vaporized during its descent, before it hit the ground...

Now, do a little digging and compare the mass and size of the LCROSS spent rocket stage that is going to be used in the upcoming experiment. Is it anywhere near 50 metres across and 300,000 tonnes? There's some homework for ya! (Yes, I am fully aware that friction with Earth's atmosphere would have eroded much of the mass as it plunged, but it also, because of the air, creates a leading shock wave, which can be very destructive).

Now then, also consider the speeds involved. What is the escape velocity of the Moon, as cited from your own source? And then, calculate the orbital velocity of the LCROSS, and its likely speed at impact.

Compare.

See? Now, you've pulled three...no, four, scientific disciplines together to solve a problem: Astronomy, physics, mathematics and history. Plus, continue to read and comprehend.

EDIT: Well I see reugen was kind enough to give you a leg up on some of the answers.

I also wanted to add, how disappointed I am in the Scientific American article .line. There is a recent thread on ATS about the continuing over-use of hyperbole, and the SA .line fits that to a 'T'. Especially, in today's World, "bomb" has a certain connotation. It immediately brings to mind 'explosive', which obviously is not the case -- the only energy involved is kinetic. F=MA

Of course, the word 'bomb' is used quite liberally, (F-bomb, for instance), but really....in a general sense you could call anything that falls or is thrown a 'bomb'. Even a water balloon!!!

[edit on 6/21/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I am not sure what is actualy going on with NASA & The moon... but if the moon was destroyed the earth would not survive, at ALL. THE moon is actually what stabilized the earth so that all lifeforms could be created. Its cycle creates life, to destroy it is to destroy ourselves

uh oh. Whats really going on?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

rj,

Did you read the thread? Or just the title?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Nicely said..

Apart from these dumb asses who think they know it all and think they are smart asses and over powering cause they like to critisize, All I can say you's are in for a big shock. I have given you's enough smaller peices of the puzzle to work out the bigger picture, yet you's still cant get it. A pathetic civilization you r then. "THE MAIN OBJECTIVE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IN SEARCH OF WATER"

Originally posted by rjmelter
I am not sure what is actualy going on with NASA & The moon... but if the moon was destroyed the earth would not survive, at ALL. THE moon is actually what stabilized the earth so that all lifeforms could be created. Its cycle creates life, to destroy it is to destroy ourselves

uh oh. Whats really going on?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
macedoniaonline.eu...

The planned October 9, 2009 bombing of the moon by a NASA orbiter that will bomb the moon with a 2-ton kinetic weapon to create a 5 mile wide deep crater as an alleged water-seeking and lunar colonization experiment, is contrary to space law prohibiting environmental modification of celestial bodies.

The NASA moon bombing, a component of the LCROSS mission, may also trigger conflict with known extraterrestrial civilizations on the moon as reported on the moon in witnessed statements by U.S. astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong, and in witnessed statements to NSA (National Security Agency) photos and documents regarding an extraterrestrial base on the dark side of the moon.

If the true intent of the LCROSS mission moon bombing is a hostile act by NASA against known extraterrestrial civilizations and settlements on the moon, then NASA and by extension the U.S. government are guilty of aggressive war which is the most serious of war crimes under the U.N. Charter and the Geneva Conventions, to which the U.S. is subject.

The U.N. Outer Space Treaty, which the U.S. has ratified, requires that “ The moon and other celestial bodies shall be used by all States Parties to the Treaty exclusively for peaceful purposes.

The establishment of military bases, installations and fortifications, the testing of any type of weapons and the conduct of military manoeuvres on celestial bodies shall be forbidden.”

98 nations have ratified and 125 nations have signed the U.N. Outer Space Treaty.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Scientific American actually says BOMB... well how about that

No wonder everyone is up in arms...

Now one has to wonder why they are pushing the word 'bomb' so hard. Pre curser to future plans?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Okay, forgive me if this question has already been answered but does anyone know exactly where on the moon NASA are going to blow up? Or hasn't it been decided yet?

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join