It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa prepares to bomb the moon

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
They really only want you to think that a Lunar base is out of the question and that manned Mars missions won't happen for decades because then you won't ask about it anymore.

You also won't complain when large sums of money are allocated towards these projects because you won't know about it and wouldn't believe it if someone told you.

I can see no real reason why we shouldn't be focusing on such a project.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Typo: Hush up* hope that helps man

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
its not for a while..

Projected lunar impact is on October 9, 2009 at 11:30 UT (7:30 a.m. EDT, 4:30 a.m. PDT), +/- 30 minutes.

Mission scientists estimate that the Centaur impact plume may be visible through amateur-class telescopes with apertures as small as 10 to 12 inches. The LCROSS mission will actively solicit images of the impact from the public.

lcross.arc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 20-6-2009 by jpm06002]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jammer2012

Jammer, thanks very much for the info, I found the correct link from that, maybe the one you posted was just truncated (not fully copied?) Anyway this one works: www.space.com...

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Im new to ATS...and working the ins and outs..lol..but love the feed back and froums

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm06002 The LCROSS mission will actively solicit images of the impact from the public.

So NASA wants US to take its pictures now?
Well we need to charge them, because I just ordered a print in hi res and it cost me 120.00 for an 11x14 and the scan

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Perhaps it's because the LRO won't be able to take pictures of itself?

I have to say, I'm enjoying the level of civilian involvement that NASA is looking for on this one.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
How come our posts can be removed a day after they have appeared? I have not seen this on ATS before?? Can some MOD explain why??

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
Perhaps it's because the LRO won't be able to take pictures of itself?

LRO is not doing the crashing, it is there to take pictures

LCROSS is impactor or 'bomb' as this thread says.

I will call Mike and see if he can be ready on that day. After all he took a pic of the Moon that three NASA dudes tell me is the best they have ever seen

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
There could be a number of reasons why they would bomb the moon.Maybe the goverment it testing out a new weapon for busting bunkers.Maybe they are attacking a alien base on the moon.I think the main reason is money.They want to know what kind of minerals are below the surface of the moon.The right minerals in large amounts could mean up to 10 of billions of dollars each year to the first country to claim the first mining rights to the moon.If russia could get the the moon first that would fix there national debt for the next 500 years.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by GORGANTHIUM

They're doing it to test for the presence of water at the Lunar polar caps.

Why? For scientific information and in my opinion to test the feasibility of a lunar base. Based on the need for water, the ability to turn it into breathable air and for hydrogen based propulsion systems.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I've been a visitor to ATS for a few months now and just joined today. Regarding this bombing of the moon which I read about a week ago, the actual launch of the projectile from the moons orbit isn't set until October 8. Here is another link to more information:

NASA/Ames ready to explode one of the coolest space missions ever

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Exopolitics disagree with NASA and calls for UN intervention

If the true intent of the LCROSS mission moon bombing is a hostile act by NASA against known extraterrestrial civilizations and settlements on the moon, then NASA and by extension the U.S. government are guilty of aggressive war which is the most serious of war crimes under the U.N. Charter and the Geneva Conventions, to which the U.S. is subject. The U.N. Outer Space Treaty,

Article source

Next ArticleSeattle Exopolitics Examiner NASA moon bombing violates space law & may cause conflict with lunar ET/UFO civilizations

Examiner.com

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kashodi
So we are launching it today. Does anybody know when it will be ready to be fired at the moon? Whats the best time to be looking upwards?
Twice as fast as a bullet? I didnt even realize we had the technology to send something the size of a washing machine that fast!

Check it out.

I believe the "spent rocket stage" that is being used for the projectile has been a pet project that has been ongoing over many years because of NASA's astonishment over a toy.

Years ago, while a student of Baylor University, Mark Forti, had an idea.

While developing various prototypes, his Dad (who was in the aerospace industry) approached General Dynamics (where he worked), and then NASA. The engineers and experts shook their heads in disbelief.

Article Source

And they said, "What" You mean cylinders fly?" Forti and his father went to General Dynamics, then to a wind tunnel at the NASA research center in Langley, VA. The experts shook their heads in disbelief.

"They said, 'Wow,

After patenting the toy, which they named X-zylo, they started selling it in 1993.

Here's the possible connection....

There are other applications for X-zyLo. NASA is looking into its capabilities in exotic space weaponry - including projectiles that will fly faster than bullets.

Now, the toy is cylinderic and what shape do you suppose the rocket stage shell is?

Also, The toy is not found on wiki if someone wants to update the site.

I bet the toy, with it's NASA research connection and this mission would be a good add.

What do you think?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

Nice work. I agree. It would be interesting to see a diagram of the projectile they are going to fire into the moon.

Got to get the kids one of those toys! How cool are they!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by reugen

Nice concept but there is one small problem. You have to declare that aliens exist and prove it before the UN can be petitioned. Second, the UN has no extraterrestrial powers, it is an earth-based organization.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This whole "search for water" sounds like a nice cover story should anyone see the smoke from the Blast Mining of Helium 3 they're doing up there.

But seriously when is this supposed to happen or did I missed the bombing of the moon again. Without one word about it on the News? Althoughg I don't watch much news. I do watch the Science channel religiously and haven't heard a thing about this either.

I guess shelling the moon is old news?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by noah1111
I've been a visitor to ATS for a few months now and just joined today. Regarding this bombing of the moon which I read about a week ago, the actual launch of the projectile from the moons orbit isn't set until October 8. Here is another link to more information:

NASA/Ames ready to explode one of the coolest space missions ever

ok thank you for the info and the link, October 8th then.

I guess we'll hear more as we reach September.

I mean Every tv channel I see is showing a rainy Bethpage Black Golf course *yawn* Golf, what a waste of good land.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by wisdomnotemotion
God created the Earth as a playground for humans. We have peace, violence, rubbish and treasures. But we're prohitbited to destroy or harm other planets.

Don't forget the angels are watching. God is always ready to call it game over for any "out of this world" sinners.

Luckily the moon is not a planet. Not sure how firing a small hole into it does any harm either.

I guess them boys and girls over at NASA never saw the remake of the Time Machine. Didn't turn out too good when they did it there. I half wonder sometimes if real scientists ever actually pay attention to the moral stories underlying most science fiction. Like a fella said: Just because you CAN do a thing, doesn't mean you SHOULD do a thing.

Probably because scientists generally don't base their information of movies.

It's not a bomb; it's a kinetic warhead, IIRC. Not really a weapon... Oh, and given the inaccuracy, how does anyone think that it can blow something up? Why does it matter if something relatively small smashes into the moon at 2.5km/s? Why does everyone whine about NASA despite the Japs doing it not long ago? Is it because it's NASA?

[edit on 20/6/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This kind of feeds into the moon landing conspiracy.... If we landed there, took rock samples, etc... you would figure that we know the mineral content of the moon so we can check that off. If through general observation and rover landings, we are certain there was once water on Mars, surely we know the same about the moon. So the question remains....WHY? It could be a range of things from testing a new type of warhead, to delivering some type of terra forming agents. What are some of the ideas everyone has? Just makes no sense that it's to expose water. If thats the case, land on the moon again.... it's accessable isn't it? Not to start a landing conspiracy thread, but does anyone recall a few years ago, Dateline or 60 minutes, or one of those shows, asking the head of Nasa why we have not returned to the moon and his reply was that we had : Lost the technology"..... How does that happen considering that the computer systems used in the 60's functioned not much better than a calculator?

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join