It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa prepares to bomb the moon

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
well, so what if we blow up the moon to kill Dr. Evil. i mean would you miss it?

"

FIRE THE LASER!

"

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
LUNAR MINERAL RIGHTS ...

www.specintel.com...

its their moon and they can mine if they want to
apparently

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
Well we are knee-deep in destroying the earth, so it must be time to begin destroying the moon, and while we're at it maybe we could blast a few holes in Mars too. Just to see what happens.

Don't forget the comet Temple 1 that had an unexpected secondary explosion so large it was seen from Earth... What was it the hit?

NASA flyby shooting of Venus

June 5, 2007: Picture this: A spaceship swoops in from the void, plunging toward a cloudy planet about the size of Earth. A laser beam lances out from the ship; it probes the planet's clouds, striving to reach the hidden surface below. Meanwhile, back on the craft's home world, scientists perch on the edge of their seats waiting to see what happens.

Sounds like science fiction? This is real, and it's happening today.

science.nasa.gov...

Carl Sagan and the USAF planned to Nuke the Moon. The reason for Carl Sagan? To stir up 'organic matter' The reason for the USAF? To prove they could... and they wanted it BIG so the Russians could see it. (The Russians had their own plan to do the same)

Air Force Had Plans to Nuke Moon
www.space.com...

And you guys thought I made this stuff up

OH and about that water...

DoD News Briefing
Tuesday, December 3, 1996 - 1:45 p.m.
Subject: Discovery of Ice on the Moon

www.defenselink.mil...

Q: That translates to what in volume?

A: We were very conservative in the press release, but if you take basically 100 square kilometers by roughly 50 feet, you get a volume of something like a quarter of a cubic mile, I think it's on that order. It's a considerable amount, but it's not a huge glacier or anything like that.

Q: Can you compare that with something you know?

A: It's a lake. A small lake.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
This isn't a real explosive missile, it's just carrying some big drill that will create a hole to see for ice... why are you guys nervous about it?

last I checked they don't include explosives in the missile.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by toast317

Its not carrying a "big drill" either.
Basically they are throwing a big lump of metal at the moon to get a big plume of dust to rise up so they can scan it for traces of water.

I would prefer they just sent a rover like they did for mars and get far more information about the moon over time.

[edit on 19/6/2009 by SvenTheBerserK]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by toast317

Lunar smash-up

Set to launch with LRO in October 2008, the $73 million Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) is a bare-bones spacecraft designed to use cameras and spectrometers to watch its 4,409-pound (2,000-kilogram) upper stage slam into hydrogen-rich Shackleton Crater, mission managers said.

But LCROSS mission managers expect their crash-destined duo to carve a Moon crater 16 feet (4.8 meters) deep, about 100 feet (30 meters) wide and toss up about 2.2-million pounds (1,000 metric tons) of lunar material.

That’s enough lunar material to fill 10 space shuttle payload bays to the brim, Andrews said, adding that the plume could reach up to 40 miles (64 kilometers) above the lunar surface.

Galileo carried 34.5 pounds of plutonium-238... slammed into Jupiter

Cassini carries 72 pounds of plutonium-238... going to slam into Saturn

Nakasaki bomb had 12 pounds of plutonium-238

NASA Cosmic Litterbugs Part 1

NASA Cosmic Litterbugs Part 2

NASA Cosmic Litterbugs Part 3

Secondary explosion on Temple One

NASA 'scientists'? after the explosion

They still don't know what happened so are sending another spacecraft to check

Comet was supposed to be a ball of ice... it was NOT supposed to explode

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I find this both fascinating and horrifying. If we are to actually blow up a portion of the moon, that just sounds like something we should not be doing! But as I understand it, it will be a much smaller version of the temple1 attempt, idea being to send debris into the atmosphere to study the contents. Still sounds like something no one should be doing, but, very intriguing. I just wonder what is everyone racing to find on the moon all the sudden?

Bush said that we were going to start putting robotic missions to begin the process of placing a space station on the moon:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by toast317
This isn't a real explosive missile, it's just carrying some big drill that will create a hole to see for ice... why are you guys nervous about it?

If you shoot someone whit a GUN or break his head whit an HAMMER?
Hummmm......There is a difference indeed....

You can break his head whit an Hammer because there is not EXPLOSIVE in the HAMMER. RIGHT!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This is just swell...

It wasn´t enough we were told to stay the hell away from the Moon.

Noooo. We now have to send a missile into the surface to collect samples.

Well, good luck with that NASA. Oct 9 will not only see the complete collapse of the USD and the US economy, it will also be the start of the first inter-galactic conflict which will probably result in a full scale war.

Didn´t someone say the Moon was placed in orbit by the race who seeded the Earth and created us. ¨The Farm". Hollow monitoring station with weaponry inside? We will find out soon enough if the Moon is artificial or not when it starts opening up and all sorts of friendly Draconian craft come flying out.

Better still, maybe they decide to move it away from Earth to teach us a little lesson. That would make the Indonesia Tsunami look like a cakewalk.

Predicted result when the Moon leaves orbit:

Good job.

T4H

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Truth4hire]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
NASA's probably gotten the go ahead to destroy whatever was found on the moon, so no one else can find it.
Or..
TPTB are really testing a new weapon system they just don't want real time live reporting on..
or..
Its a new version of the MOAB Borer missile..
or..
swamp gass?

will never really know, but its fun to speculate on..

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

Yep, test this week..... confirm test ...... then look out North Korea.

Can already hear the MSM reports:

Rueters just confirmed that a meteorite shower has scattered widely over the North Korean peninsula, whilst news out of the dictator state is limited at this stage, early reports indicate that a number of larger meteors in the shower have caused significant collateral damage over a wide area, however it is believed that that the areas most effected have limited population in mainly rural and isolated areas....

End quote.....

Hows that sound? end of the old Kim Jong problem, and surprise, surprise it was all an act of god, and you know what, just one of those meteors may even have an Iranian inbound trajectory.....

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by rickyrrr

Originally posted by Viper0hr
ok, now what happens if this throws the moon out of earths grav. pull???? That's not a good idea...Why not send people there and drill? It's right outside our door pretty much.

OMG, what if!!!!!! let's send people with a drill... I think the problem is we don't have extension cords long enough to plug the drill.

Seriously, do you know how heavy the moon is compared to the projectile? this is like having a fly smack on the windshield of a semi. the driver won't even notice.

-rrr

Your point is well taken, but if you use masses of the fly (15mg) versus the truck (80,000 pounds), and compare that to the masses of the washing machine (200 lbs) versus the moon (7.36 x 10^22 kg), the fly is about 14 billion times more massive relative to the semi, when compared to the washing machine relative to the moon.

But my point is that even after accounting for the velocities, the impact on the moon is actually not about the same as the fly hitting a semi, it's way less than that!

And why call it a bomb in the original post title? There's no bomb, it's just a crash landing, right?

Thank you very much for actually looking up the numbers! When i read the fly/windshield thing I too thought "What? no way it's that big" Gave me a nice chuckle

As for other some other questions in this thread:

There is a treaty in place wich forbids putting nuclear weapons in orbit. So, nope, can't send a nuke up
Besides: If you don't have to overcome atmospheric friciton you can make stuff go pretty damn fast, and soon reach a point where explosives (even nukes) won't add much more energy.
Also: it si F=m*v, not F=m*a. If I accelerate with my car from 100 meter away and hit you with 50 mp/h you are just as hurt as if i hit you with 50 mp/h starting 1000 m away from you.
Testing kinetic weapons? see above. The physics are simple, and well researched and understood. There is nothing to test there. We have been researching kinetic weapons since we threw the first stone. We really have them figured out by now.

And just one more time:
This has been done by humans for more than half a century. repeatedly.
It has been done by the universe on a far more massive scale since the moon formed.
So far we have been lucky and i have an inkling that streak won't break this time either. *drops something to check if gravity is still working* yup. we are on a streak.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by debunky

There is a treaty in place wich forbids putting nuclear weapons in orbit.

Since when has that stopped the good old USofA doing anything ?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
You are right of course.
They also don't test nuclear weapons anymore because of some treaty, but because they don't have to anymore.
The real reason for not putting nukes into orbit is also more practical than ethical:
Kinetic Kill is more than sufficient.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Sounds to me like the next few decades will see foriegn nations flourish and expand their space endeavors.

The U.S knows when they do eventually land on the moon and find what they've found, the jig is up. Better to destroy all evidence now than letting those pesky foreigners find out what the U.S has been hiding for so many years.

Makes for an awesome movie plot.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
If the "landed" on moon all them years ago, would they not know where to land this again?

There well out of line here in what they are doing too.

Totally disagree

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I don't even know what this thread is about any more, but every time I see the title it cracks me up.

Just like on Mock the Week intro "Bush: We're invading Mars!"

Brilliant stuff.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This should truly scare many other countries including those who live in the US. This is probably the largest flexing of military muscle since testing the atom bomb.

It's actually an incredible event. We are showing the ability to launch a spacecraft into another planetary orbit, map the surface, and bomb a target. This is the first time we are simulating an attack on an alien surface.

Kinetic energy weapons should be banned immediately. Who's to say NASA isn't actually trying to create an orbit of rock debris that could be harvested and hurled to the earth.

My biggest problem with understanding how kinetic energy weapons from orbit could be effective is the ability to reload in a cost effective way. Then I read this article and thought wow.. If NASA could create thousands of pieces of rock in space they might just be able to hurl the rocks instead of needing steel ammunition.

Of course we would never know when this technology is being used because I'm sure it will be called a natural event being a meteor, since what they are using are space rocks..

( maybe.. )

[edit on 19-6-2009 by libertytoall]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

I feel a certain amount of artistic license was used by the author of the article. I saw no reason not to display it in it's full glory!!!!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Burginthorn

The U.S knows when they do eventually land on the moon and find what they've found, the jig is up. Better to destroy all evidence now than letting those pesky foreigners find out what the U.S has been hiding...

Oh, stop being ridiculous!!!

Look it up....the event will occur near the South pole of the Moon...nowhere near the Apollo landing sites!!!!

I just shake my head, sometimes.....

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join