It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9mm question

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I am collecting 22lr ammo right now. I will move to 9mm, .223/5.56 (yes I know the difference, but with the right AR it doesn't matter), 30/30, and .308 WIN.

I think it is going to be a while before we see ammo again like we did 2 years ago.

Just remember the golden rule **the price of ammo only goes one direction UP!!!**

Happy hunting

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by irongunner

Wow I went into a Wal-Mart tonight (around here they usually have some 9mm ammo at decent prices) and they were just about sold out of everything. They had a few boxes of 12 ga. shells and some .22 & 7mm but that was about it.

I wonder if they would be interested in 400 rds of 9mm?? lol Nah I think I will keep them for a rainy day.

Hopefully they will be getting some more in pretty soon I will keep checking to see what comes up.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
During WW2 the germans had two pistols in common use the Walther's P38 and the Luger.

Both fired the 9x19 round.
They also had three machine pistols the MP38 MP40 and the MP44
these and the P38 fired a hot loaded 9x19mm Parabellum round (equal to +P loads

The Luger could not fire these hot rounds safely. Thus the germans use the designation 9mm Luger to identify the ammo for Lugers.

The P38 and the MPs all could fire the hot 9x19mm Parabellum.

US commercial 9x19mm Parabellum rounds are loaded to 9x19 luger power levels Under the weakest gun rule.(load for the weakest gun and you will not be sued for blowing up someones gun in there face)
This may cause Wathers P38s to stovepipe the empty round when they eject.

Military surplus 9x19mm Parabellum ammo especially foreign military 9x19mm Parabellum ammo may be loaded to +p levels and should not be used in Lugers. or any other guns that are not safe at +P levels.

Do not use +P+ ammo in any gun not designed for that ammo. Even P38s

The other 9x19 ammo is a unknown so do your homework.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

They also had three machine pistols the MP38 MP40 and the MP44

Actually the Germans employed no fewer than 13 machine pistols (sub-machine guns) during WWII of which 9 were German made (not counting the 2 different versions of the MP40) and 29 captured sub-machine gun versions - the self produced weapons consisted of the:

MP 18 I
MP 28 II
MP 30
MP 34
MP 34
MP 35
MP 38
MP 40/I
MP 40/II
MP 41
EMP 44
MP 3008
ZK 383

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Cool Breeze

sry took so long getting back. looks like you have your answer though.

if the round fits the magazine and chambers properly you are good to go. i always dry run a mag's worth of new ammo through the weapon i plan on using it with. that is to say, load the weapon and eject each cartridge manually to see how smooth it feeds. just in case the rounds were made on a monday.

even ammo that is chambered for a specific weapon can present problems if it is of poor quality. ammo stored improperly, especially old ammo can be unpredictable...

some gunsmiths sell their own reloads. just the action of passing through the breech can damage and will alter the casing in some way. even if the casing passes the breech without any obvious physical scoring, it will still undergo some fatigue from the stress of being fired and ejected. (and reloaded!) the only time to use reloads is for target practice. you will want the good stuff when it counts.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by gravykraken

if the round fits the magazine and chambers properly you are good to go.

Tell you what, I'll send you a few .45 Super rounds, and if you wouldn't mind taking a video of yourself shooting it through a regular 1911 and then have your next of kin post a copy on YouTube I'd be grateful.

Seriously, what you are recommending is dangerous.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

"I was going to reply but Paddy just told you everything you need to know! "

You *DID reply! Lol @ craziness.

Mod Edit - Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

if the round fits the magazine and chambers properly you are good to go.

Tell you what, I'll send you a few .45 Super rounds, and if you wouldn't mind taking a video of yourself shooting it through a regular 1911 and then have your next of kin post a copy on YouTube I'd be grateful.

Seriously, what you are recommending is dangerous.

way to NOT read the second line. try again. like i said, a "dry run". (no shooting)

jeez. seriously, what you are saying has nothing to do with what i said.

[edit on 25/6/2009 by gravykraken]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

way to NOT read the second line. try again. like i said, a "dry run". (no shooting)

jeez. seriously, what you are saying has nothing to do with what i said.

You don't "dry run" with live ammunition.

You need to know that the ammunition you are using is correct for the firearm before you even show it a picture of the gun.

You will not find a single firearms instructor who would advocate what you suggested.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
if you wondering about ur ammo as a last resort take the clip out and chmber one round in then fire it some guns have a mag safety so still put the round in then put in the magazine to egt around it

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by john baker
if you wondering about ur ammo as a last resort take the clip out and chmber one round in then fire it some guns have a mag safety so still put the round in then put in the magazine to egt around it

Yea. Nice idea
. Just make sure you have the ambulance service on speed dial when you try that one.

Exactly what does removing the magazine have to do with this (rather silly) experiment? A single dodgy round can cause a breech explosion/catastrophic failure sufficient to blow the weapon up, possibly taking out some fingers/eys etc.

But if you want to risk it, go right ahead. Just don't say I didn't warn ya.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by john baker if you wondering about ur ammo as a last resort take the clip out and chmber one round in then fire it some guns have a mag safety so still put the round in then put in the magazine to egt around it

Your description of your own particular brand of 'Actions On!', leave a lot to be desired.

Perhaps it is your grasp of the English language, especially if it is your second tongue.

A simple question for you, why not empty your mag, then put a single round in it?

You could load the weapon, make it ready and discharge it without any dangerous actions that Paddy has highlighted.

Just what is your 'aim' for your particular actions?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
In case no one bothered to mention this. Be VERY careful buying any 9MM Mil-surplus ammo. Some is not marked correctly and can only be used in 9MM machine pistols or machine guns. It looks exactly like regular 9MM but the pressures are much greater. My next door neighbor found out the hard way and ruined a beautiful Browning Highpower. Lucky he still has all his fingers and eyeballs!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
A word of caution. Sometimes the different names are used to designate a weapons capacity, or load.

In other words a lot of the older names used are for older weapons that may not be able to handle that high of cup's, or pressure in the chamber.... The newer firearms are designed for newer ammo; which is usually of hotter loads.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join