It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would we learn better from history if it was more accurate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
So much of what we're taught as common historical sense isn't true. If it was, I think we would learn better from history. Do you agree?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
probably not. people dont learn anything.

im trying to think of one major history lesson that should have been learned that was and was learned by the general population.

i cant think of anything.

maybe "dont let hitler gain power" but i dont see that being too useful in the future.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Well I for one would love a better account of history, it would certainly help in my own efforts. Wiki is great for the basics, but will never compare to the millions of volumes elsewhere on each subject.

Anyway, I really don't believe we'd be any better off if we had more details of how everything went down. It would only really hit home if we were able to go back, live it, then come back and conduct our affairs accordingly.

[edit on 18/6/09 by Evasius]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
History is remanufactued for a reason..... The ultra rich would have been deposed of their power long ago if people were aware of the truth and there would be no more religions..... Just imagine what it would do for patriotism if history was accurately recorded..... We only learn what they want us to know, unless we search beyond what is taught to the mainstream students in instututional schools.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I don't think historical certainty is really possible. That said, we live in an age with so much shared information that perhaps we have a better chance of solving certain mysteries than earlier generations did.

The problem with history is that it is always POLITCAL. Very, very few people who dabble in history are truly interested in knowing "the truth." Most of them have an axe to grind or some ideological point to make, and they twist history to serve their purposes. Even the "Purest" of academics is bound by the politics of academia, the need to find a mentor to agree with to secure tenure, the need to come up with a new theory to stand out from the crowd, etc.

Theoretically, if we could really know what was going on would we learn more? Sure, to some extent, I guess. But not that much more. Humans have a limited capacity for learning and we have enough trouble processing what's right in front of our eyes today, never mind making sense of what happened 500 or 5,000 years ago.

new topics

top topics

join