It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quarter of men in South Africa admit rape, survey

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Originally posted by mortalengine
reply to post by SkitzoFrenic

Lol... are you even South African ? ..

I lived in SA for 18 years of my life and I had to come to London to be jumped by a gang for the first time.

I feel safer in SA than London any day.

thats probably because you live in gated community with security fences .

Nope, I just didnt live in Joburg, but then again I dont know why anyone lives in Joburg..

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Couldn't agree with you more there dan. It's always the same skewed stats. Lets not forget that the Eastern Cape and KZN include the transkei which still has a substantial amount of tribal owned land and chieftains. So as I said in a post before regarding the Sangomas' - you can see whats going on here. I would like to see a survey that's based purely on SA cities, I'm sure the figures would still be high - as you said, anything higher than one is too much, but anything is better than the current survey model they're using geez.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Yeah, it was given back ruined, and yes Australia should equalise the Aborigines - so, give the land back? No, I think make them equal in the land.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Okay easy friend, I can see this is a raw nerve for you so I apologize. I didn't mean to upset you, all I'm speaking is my truth - I'm sorry you haven't had the same experience of SA as I have.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

No, it was given back at it's peak...

South Africa was a nuclear power, a first world country....

Not any more...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkitzoFrenic

No, it was given back at it's peak...

South Africa was a nuclear power, a first world country....

Not any more...

This is true, the Rand was head to head with the Pound.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
The perception of White South Africans is SO damn BAD in other countries that I have stopped telling people here in Australia that I am South African when they ask where I am from.

I now tell them I am from the Netherlands.

Because If I tell the truth, I get labelled as a racist by most first of all.

I ALWAYS get asked about the crime ,murders and all that crap.

Then i get asked all kinds of other questions I don;t want to answer....

I hate it, I wish i wasnot born there...

So for anyone who ever asks me,,,,I am dutch, I was born in the netherlands...

at least then i get asked how aweosme it is there to be able to smoke weed and stufff....luckily i can speak dutch because i am afrikaans, and i have been there, so i can get away with it

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mortalengine

Just what exactly ARE you saying then ? .. because it looks like you are saying that it's part of black south africans culture...

I am saying exactly as stated in response to SkitzoFrenic. I was saying that I was unsure whether it was a cultural thing, or an individual belief system that has spread within their culture.

What's annoying is the way you've titled this post and I'm sick of having to be thrown in with the totally unbalanced statistics of South Africa.

If you look at the link provided, it is the headline for the news article.
Peace!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

This not a post about Whites vs Blacks ... its a topic about the high incidence of rape. Now we can look the historical significance of rape based on Apartheid and a history of violence but this may be less significant when you find that AIDS only truly took hold of S. Africa in the early 90's. This was a time when South Africa become a truly democratic country. It could be said that the apartheid government did not educate the populace enough, exacerbating the current situation.

A younger generation who were born into a free South Africa are almost of voting age ... they never knew apartheid or all it's evils. This generation cannot blame anyone except themselves.

The problem is currently education and entrenched traditional values where even our current President thinks that a shower after having sex with an HIV positive person would ensure he does not get infected (he was acquitted of rape in the subsequent trial).
If our leaders are thinking like this, then there is no hope for a lot of males who look to them for guidance.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DarksDeception

haha, ok fair enough - I guess you're off the hook then eh ? :p

Here is the real culprit - David Smith in Johannesburg.

What a surprise he's from Jozi... >,< I'm telling you - these crimes are being commited because these mofo's dont have a beach. It makes people crazy, I've seen it before and it's not pretty.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

I am very sorry to hear of the atrocities your family and friends suffered.

Again I thank you for your courage to share your knowledge bro.

May I ask SkitzoFrenic, are these atrocities becoming an accepted occurrence within the black community? Is this the reason so many rapes are not reported, due to the possible repercussions to the victims for reporting it?

[edit on 18-6-2009 by DarksDeception]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mortalengine

I landed at JFK a few years back, hired a car to drive to Philadelphia and promptly got lost in New York. Holy C! I have never been more frightened in my life ... Johannesburg is Shangri-la compared to parts of NYC.

British Airways lost my luggage, and by the time it was been returned to me, US Customs had committed grievous baggage harm. My suitcase had been shredded.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Hi, sure, I get that, hey peace peace peace.

Let us calm down.

And I wish you well.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarksDeception

I am very sorry to hear of the atrocities your family and friends suffered.

Again I thank you for your courage to share your knowledge bro.

May I ask SkitzoFrenic, are these atrocities becoming an accepted occurrence within the black community? Is this the reason so many rapes are not reported, due to the possible repercussions to the victims for reporting it?

[edit on 18-6-2009 by DarksDeception]

No, it definately is not an accepted part of african culture.

I can't tell you why it is happening so much, my only guess is pure chaos and disregard to human life...

They just don't care about anyone or anything else but themselves...

It's sad, but i think it is something that will continue for many, many years to come...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
OK, just to put it in a bit of perspective:

I did a quick search on the internet and found these:
Advice to women what to do after they are raped: Source
Man held for raping 1 year old niece: Source
A compilation of cases (just for end May to June 2009: Source
Please search the internet and find out for yourself what's happening here. I personally believe the survey results are conservative.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am a white south african born in joburg now living in cape town and yes our rape statistics are insane and highly embaressing, and most of the cases go UNREPORTED so arent even in the statistics.

The way of life in most delapidated rural areas and townships on the outskirts of major cities is almost primal. Townships are lawless and the community itself in said township will do the "policing" and criminals caught in the act by said community will often actually kill the criminal long before the actual police arrive.

My opinion is that the rapists are just violent lustful horny men that cant get a women by normal means. There is more black man on black women rape than all the other 3 combinations combined (black on white, white on black, white on white).

All in all, South Africa is quite safe IF you stay in a safe area.

My R0.02

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Now ...a bit off topic (sorry OP) this won’t be long...
Just want to help out a few guys who think they have SA figured out!
No offence guys(Americans, Europeans, and even most of the Aussies here) you don’t live here(most of you haven't even been here) and don't experience this country and its everyday life, so passing judgment isn’t fair at all, considering your own backgrounds with regards to settlement of your respective continents/countries, and suppression going along with it!
I also say that apartheid was wrong, and we still get judged for our forefathers actions and wrong doings, and probably will for the foreseeable future.
Let me ask this simple question. Do most of you guys even know what the meaning of the Afrikaans word "Apartheid" is? It simply means "Separation"...we will run and look after ourselves, while you look after yourself. Basically saying: We govern ourselves separate from each other...that’s it.
Any case...that was 15 years ago already...I wish people would get over it now
What most of you guys don’t realize is that what gets done now is mostly exactly the same thing that happened in apartheid, only the tables have been turned in a way. Sure we have a democracy, and everyone can vote, but we don’t have the luxury of 30million white people in the country.
White men don’t get jobs, not cause they don’t have the qualification, because of their skin color. Sure we are in a democratic country now, and everyone has the right to vote, but there are only 4-5million whites in SA, and 37-38 million black people. Not much of a say as to whom will be in Office after the voting really.
The point I’m getting to is...these days white south africans receive a lot of what happened in Apartheid, but in a "democratic" environments. BEE, Afirmative action etc etc.
We simply dont have the numbers to match the votes to have a say in parmiament.
So before passing judgment…get all the facts and experiences 1st…

20-25 years back when I was a kid, we use to sleep with the doors of the house unlocked, cars unlocked etc…now double burglar bars, vehicle tracking systems etc for cars don’t even work anymore.
We have come a long way from apartheid yes….but in most cases, it is only time that has come a long way, the country itself…pretty much goes backwards.
Yes we are a violent country and rape is a big issue here, because of lack of education and because of cultural believes and nonsense practices, but who is in charge to make the changes…the ANC government…are they doing the right things, have the correct policies in place to promote mutual respect, equality and a better life for all….Sadly…NO…they fail miserably
My 2 cents.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by GerhardSA]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
i know im pretty straight forward but there is no reason for beating around the bush...i just called a spade a spade...sorry for the off topic start, but it leads up to the point i wanted to make about the rape issue

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
As I understand it, the high levels of rape of children and virgins in South Africa is directly related to muti beliefs. HIV positive men are actively encouraged by the witchdoctor to take a virgin. Government response so far has not been to make the sanctions for child rape more stringent but to pour money into training for medical and surgical doctors to perform corrective/reconstructive surgery on the victims so that they are able to have sex and bear children in the future.

Whatever the political or belief structure of the state, the PTB continue to support the wholesale destruction of innocence.

There seems to be very little information about how female HIV/AIDS sufferers have been advised by their sango's. Are they expected to rape little boys to cure themselves?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join