It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quarter of men in South Africa admit rape, survey

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

One in four men in South Africa have admitted to rape and many confess to attacking more than one victim, according to a study that exposes the country's endemic culture of sexual violence. Three out of four rapists first attacked while still in their teens, the study found. One in 20 men said they had raped a woman or girl in the last year. South Africa is notorious for having one of the highest levels of rape in the world. Only a fraction are reported, and only a fraction of those lead to a conviction.

source

Unbelievable statistics, and it also makes me wonder how possibly underrated those statistics are.

South Africa's cultural belief that men having sex with a virgin, will facilitate a cure for their own AIDS, is a ludicrous belief. This exacerbates this terrible abuse of not only adult abuse, but also the abuse of innocent children, as these children are surly virgins. Then these children dont only have to deal with the abuse, but also become infected with HIV. How sad!

What are you thoughts on this subject and statistics?

[edit on 18-6-2009 by DarksDeception]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Maybe just state that there are around 2 million white males also living in South Africa, and it is not in their culture to rape.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I am not saying that it is in black South African culture to rape either. The statistics, if true, are horrific.

What I am saying is if the reason many of them raping women, was in relation to their erroneous belief that having sex with a virgin, justifies rape, to be cured.

I imagine this would be an excuse for many to justify abusing others as well?

But one thing is for sure, education about this fallacy of having sex with virgins, to be cured of AID's needs extreme attention. The rape is bad enough, let alone giving the victim a death warrant as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Well I grew up S.A and yes, there is a "culture" of rape there, and yes there is a belief that raping "babies" and virgins will cure aids.

And yes it is only in the black communities, rural and urban.

There is a reason south africa has the highest rape rate anually in the world, standing at over 50 000

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
My friend traveled to south africa, and the rape topic was one of the first topics he brought up when he returned.

Welcome to South Africa, the home of the craziest invention on earth.

Rape-aXe.

Source
More recently, an anti-rape female condom using a different design was invented by Sonette Ehlers,[2] a South African woman also for the purpose of preventing rape. Ehler was motivated to create it while working as a blood technician with the South African Blood Transfusion Service, during which time she met and treated many rape victims.

Initially called RapeX, the name was changed in 2006 upon discovering that RAPEX is also an EU warning system against dangerous goods on the market.

The device, known as Rape-aXe, is a latex sheath embedded with shafts of sharp, inward-facing barbs that would be worn by a woman in her vagina like a tampon. If an attacker were to attempt vaginal rape, his penis would enter the latex sheath and be snagged by the barbs, causing the attacker excruciating pain during withdrawal and (ideally) giving the victim time to escape. The condom would remain attached to the attacker's body when he withdrew and could only be removed surgically, which would alert hospital staff and police. This device could assist in the identification and prosecution of rapists. Like most condoms, Rape-aXe also usually prevents pregnancy and the transmission of HIV and sexually transmitted diseases.

Rape-aXe was unveiled on August 31, 2005 in South Africa. Mass production was scheduled to begin in April 2007.[3]

Whats worse, he met a young couple in which the women forgot she was wearing it, and her NON-RAPING boyfriend was mutilated for life.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by king9072]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkitzoFrenic
Well I grew up S.A and yes, there is a "culture" of rape there, and yes there is a belief that raping "babies" and virgins will cure aids.

There is a reason south africa has the highest rape rate anually in the world, standing at over 50 000

Thanks for your input bro!

You grew up in S.A., and you seem to have a greater knowledge of this very real and disturbing issue, than most.

You say that rape is within the black S.A. culture. I was wondering if you may know why this is?

What is it besides believing they can be cured of AID's, to have rape as a culturally accepted thing?

Is it a spiritual influence?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DarksDeception

I have always known that South Africa was a horrible place - I knew this in my mind.

I know that the people who owned the country, the Africans, were put down and enslaved by the whites. It is horribble, and the Dutch did that, but others would have done it. Anyway, whoever did it, should give it back to its people.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
OMG bro, I think I have permanent damage, just from the thought of those barbs.

So there are always disadvantages to all technology, and wow, that is a real big one.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
It should be interesting that the World Cup is to be held in SA next summer. This is the biggest sporting event in the world, bigger than the Olympics. There will be thousands of extra visitors to SA in this period. Is it a safe place for such a huge influx of tourists?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
It should be interesting that the World Cup is to be held in SA next summer. This is the biggest sporting event in the world, bigger than the Olympics. There will be thousands of extra visitors to SA in this period. Is it a safe place for such a huge influx of tourists?

Good point.....

Stay safe everyone, including men!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
That's the best invention I have ever heard of... talk about poetic justice...

Wow a Nobel Prize should go to the inventor because Rape is sick

btw...

if urm... I ever get arrested...

do they have one of these in an Anal model?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarksDeception

Originally posted by SkitzoFrenic

Thanks for your input bro!

You grew up in S.A., and you seem to have a greater knowledge of this very real and disturbing issue, than most.

You say that rape is within the black S.A. culture. I was wondering if you may know why this is?

What is it besides believing they can be cured of AID's, to have rape as a culturally accepted thing?

Is it a spiritual influence?

I don't truly understand the mentality of a black person, but I am going to guess it is because they are not educated, they are not experienced in moral and modern life over all.

Yes, they were opressed in the apartheid era..BUT, they HAD access to education back then, even more so than today.

They simply chose not to educate themselves, i can't say why, maybe they wanted to rebel ? who can blame them ?

Ask any honest black south african person and they will admit, they were better off in the apartheid era than they are today.

I'm not talking about the "black diamonds" I am talking about the regular black folk.

Also, they have the whole "voodoo" and Spiritual "healer" type belief as well.

Desperation also comes to mind.

I mean look, i knew plenty of black people, and to them the idea of raping a virgin to get cured of aids was absurd.

But that truly is the minority, the majority still believe in the hoodoo voodoo mojo jojo type crap.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarksDeception
I am not saying that it is in black South African culture to rape either. The statistics, if true, are horrific.

What I am saying is if the reason many of them raping women, was in relation to their erroneous belief that having sex with a virgin, justifies rape, to be cured.

I imagine this would be an excuse for many to justify abusing others as well?

But one thing is for sure, education about this fallacy of having sex with virgins, to be cured of AID's needs extreme attention. The rape is bad enough, let alone giving the victim a death warrant as well.

Just what exactly ARE you saying then ? .. because it looks like you are saying that it's part of black south africans culture...

Anyway, that aside - it basically boils down to one thing - the people who believe the lie about raping a virgin curing you are the same people who listen to the sangomas (witch doctors) as if they were real doctors. This isn't going to include ANY white people I can assure you but it also doesn't inlcude MANY black people. The people taking up most of the statistics here are predominantly rural/township folk. I'm pretty sure you could expect the same thing in the slums of the world like Brasil, Mexico and parts of the USA too, just to mention a few.

What's annoying is the way you've titled this post and I'm sick of having to be thrown in with the totally unbalanced statistics of South Africa. The country is currently in a massive transition which will take a while before it comes right again. What you need to understand is that the average south african - whatever the race, is not by nature a rapist. Your thread title is misleading as you dont understand the demographics.

[edit on 6/18/09 by mortalengine]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Good point.....

Stay safe everyone, including men!

The 2010 world cup is going to be like a criminal shopping spree for all the criminals in s.a...

DO NOT go anywhere alone, even 2 or 3 people are too few.

Groups of 5 - 10 should be allright.

I mean hello, they are calling in the South African Armed Forces to help deal with the crime for the 2010 soccer world cup...

and im tellin you now, not even that will keep you save...

If your goin...keep your eyes open and be prepared to run

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SkitzoFrenic

Lol... are you even South African ? ..

I lived in SA for 18 years of my life and I had to come to London to be jumped by a gang for the first time.

I feel safer in SA than London any day.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

I have always known that South Africa was a horrible place - I knew this in my mind.

I know that the people who owned the country, the Africans, were put down and enslaved by the whites. It is horribble, and the Dutch did that, but others would have done it. Anyway, whoever did it, should give it back to its people.

What are you talking about mate ?

South Africa was given back to the blacks years and years ago!

The only countries i know of that has NOT done the same thing as what White south africans have done is Australia and America...

S.A is the only country to give back full leadership to it's original inhabitants.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mortalengine

I lived in SA for 18 years of my life and I had to come to London to be jumped by a gang for the first time.

thats probably because you live in gated community with security fences .

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Okay, are you going to give America back to the Native Americans ? .. oh wait... are there even any left ? ...

I like how people point fingers at South Africa, like it's an easy target - you just dont realise that you all have blood on your hands, no-one is innocent, not one. Every country that exists today exists because it stole that land from someone else. This is life unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mortalengine

Yeah mate, you are one of those ones who are one of the lucky few who has not had family members or friends who had been raped or murdered.

Me, i had family and friends who have been raped and murdered.

You get those few whites in south africa who NEVER experience anything bad, to them or their family/friends, and then they come and say the crap you said right there...

I can tell you right now to shut the hell up, because you know NOTHING...

Me, my family, friends, we have all had some of the worst experiences...

Nevermind that, south africa IS one of the most violent countries in the world...for rape, murder, robberies, hijackings and violent crime....

Statistics don't lie...you do...

In the recent 2009 peace census South Afica was rated somewhere in 123 of the most violent countries in the world out of 144 countries....

South Africa was rated next to Sudan, Iraq and Afghanistan....

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Ouch! What a sad indictment on our country ... rape IS high in this country. One rape is too many.

However, we all know statistics can be skewed in any direction. This survey was conducted in the following area as mentioned in the article:

a representative sample of 1,738 men in South Africa's Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal provinces.

This is not a representative sample of the entire South African male population and represents an area that has traditionally high rape stats.
To say that 1 in 4 South African men are rapists could be statistically very incorrect until a "representative" sample is take from all areas in SA, urban and rural. The sample also need to extend to the female population to determine the incidence and frequency of rape.

I hate the fact that foreigners look at me and my fellow innocent males and see "rapist". It's unfair for us to be painted with the same very broad brush.

Nonetheless, rape needs to be stamped out in all areas. The punishment meted out for such crimes, especially child rape should make it on par with murder.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join