It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation Question: Back cracking.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Since I don't have any yogic training or much insight on the related question, I thought I'd pose it here and see.

This question pertains to the back. I've been mindful of when I feel the sudden urges throughout the day to breathe in deeply through my chest, in doing so it usually causes my upper back to crack a little. I have no problem breathing comfortably through the stomach, though the issue of proper posture comes up when I meditate. It's just one of those things I've been stubbornly putting off for a long time and I've reached a point where I'd like to move beyond this.

I used to have stiffness in my lower back, I dealt with those chakra issues, the stiffness moved up the back, dealt with those chakra issues (over time).. and the stiffness weakened but traveled up to my upper back. I dealt with heart chakra issues and found some release of the tension. I don't feel much tension in my back anymore but when I meditate, sitting in a chair or legs folded (not in lotus, still working on that one).. well when I'm sitting I'll let my arms rest with my hands in a mudra on my lap comfortably but I notice a little discomfort comes for my upper back. I'll feel the urge to breathe in deeply through the upper lungs (rather then through diaphragm).. and my back will crack.

So i'm just wondering from someones point of view who has dealt with this or has knowledge of it, if this is normal, is cracking the back unblocking energy or making things worse?

I sometimes crack my next to the side and it can be dissorienting and i'm wondering the effects it has on the back.

But furthermore I wouldn't mind some tips on posture, various body locks etc so I can overcome this discomfort.

It seems strange that they tell you its ok to meditate in a chair, and i've had some good meditations in a chair but it depends on the type of chair, I find the back rest can restrict comfortable breathing wheras without one, I tend to bend forward, and if I straighten my back it feels uncomfortable and not.. RIGHT.. not relaxed.

I get the most comfort out of Qi Gong and don't experience any real urges to chest breathe with that.

So does anyone else get this urge to chest breathe, also resulting in a cracked back? Do you have any insights into this?

Much appreciated. I'm not new to meditation but going your own way can result in skipping a few useful steps sometimes.

Thanks.

-SG

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Well , I have a suggestion, but it might be a bit odd.

Do you sit on your wallet?

If so, then you hipps or core basin, might be a bit crooked from that. Which would cause the pain.

I've had that problem for years, and I kept wondering why the meditation wasn't relieving the pressure, and once I stopped sittin on my wallet it stopped.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

No this would be without anything in my pockets.

I was born with my leg a little twisted though which is pretty common. Now and then in the morning it acts up on me and takes a little walk to get it "straight"

Not much I can do about that from all I know.

I've also read into things such as the ..C1 atlas?..being misalligned in people, causing the head to tilt a little and the center of balance to be a little off. There is a procedure to allign it, i wonder if yogic neck rolls and such could do that, that's why I've been experimenting to see what the root of the issues are.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You were talking about how leaning forward felt more natural, I do the exact same thing when I'm doing sitting meditation. I often end up bowing my head a little and it's more like a prayer position. It really feels great, and feels right. Though apparently it "isn't"

Have you ever watched the video on the Yogi's of Tibet. Google Video has it and it's an hours worth of video I think (edit: nevermind that). One of those younger Yogis does this sitting meditation, he rolls his neck around, rolls all his joints, does all these moves and completely empties his lungs and completely refills them... anyway it came to mind, how much movement can apparently be done. But I've never so much as attended a Yoga class or read a Yoga book so I don't know.

I wonder if you have given standing meditation a shot. I found it surprisingly nice, especially first thing in the morning. For better or worse, it will be different on your back at least, and might open some things up (haha, I know you like that phrase).

But I am sure those more experienced than I may be able to help you more, this point of view from a rather inexperienced practitioner. No I meditate a bit I just try to make my common tasks into a meditation, I do good when I remember to look at my day at work as a meditation and focus on my breath throughout the day, that's my thing I guess.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Novise]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Novise

Yes I do standing meditation every morning, like Qi Gong. Since I've been forcing myself to do it regularly in the morning, I couldn't go back. It's a great way to balance the higher and the lower, the male / female.. the only emphasis on chakra energy centers is just breathing through the dan tien, which as one of the 3 major storage/energy distribution centers, its nature is to evenly distribute energy. So just breathing through the dan tien doing Qi Gong, charges me up all over and makes me at optimal functionality. It's very grounding and that's what I need in the morning so I can get to work.

I've only done Qi Gong for maybe 45 minutes in one session tops, I still prefer sitting meditation for some things like reaching deep levels of absorbtion, I find I can't do that while standing, to drift into different modes, awareness etc.

I haven't ruled out the thought that it could be related to heart chakra blockage, as I've been really awakening the centers below it in recent months and maybe its just pushing too much energy up, I need to clear a path I guess. But if it that is the case then it's very minute, it doesn't feel like the blockages (actual sore back) that I had before. My back feels great but I just get this tiny bit of dicomfort / tension within minutes of sitting meditation. I almost thought it had to do with the weight of my arms and I tried bringing my shoulders back a little.

I'm just going to try a thorough stretch next time and see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Very interesting. Iam not sure if I can help much but I wonder if you guys have any ideas about this. After I had a pretty serious snowboarding accident ( and was also knocked unconscious, had the vague sense I was in the astral for some time ) I could no longer naturally astral project just by meditation. Whats relative to this thread is that I could no longer crack my back with a twist or tensile movements anyone.

I can only assume this has caused a break in the link of chakras or kundalani energy or whatever energy system that its damaged.

In any case the problem hasnt cleared up and I just sort of now deal with it, although it is disconcerting.

I will get to the point now though. Perhaps if you massage these trigger points at the rhomboids, for those who dont know the muscles of certain areas after damage or stress enter a strange state of being constantly tense, as opposed to the usual on and off state. Hence they use inordinate amount of energy, trap toxins and so on.

2.bp.blogspot.com...

This seems to relase a lot of tension in that whole area. Also you mentioned you practice qi gong which is great. But what about Tai Chi, which because of its great core calesthetic training ( muscles have to make constant tiny adjustments, promoting amazing density ) might help your diaphragm and intercostal rib muscles relax and align. It really helped me to learn to stop breathing in the chest, and lets not forget that tai-chi is a pure form derived from The Classic of Muscle Control. Designed specifically to help people meditate for long periods of time.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Try this before meditation:

Lay flat on your back on a couch, tense and relax all of your musles in your feet and then slowly work your way up your body doing all your muscles until you reach the top of your head.

After you are done, stand up and crack anything that feels like it wants to crack, then begin meditation.

It should not only help in your meditation, but then you shouldnt feel any discomfort which hinders a super relaxed meditative state.

Just my 2 cents

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Thanks for that, I might try to put more emphasis on that.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic23

Sounds like you have some difficulties as well!

Yes T'ai Chi, I know I will get into it soon. I read a book about and was fascinated. It's a matter of finding time for my spiritual life while having to entertain the material life (work). I do some Qi Gong in the morning but not nearly as long as I'd like to. I want to start doing yoga as well as blend my Qi Gong with some T'ai Chi.

Hope you get re-alligned!

top topics

join