It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LRO/LROC Target Observation Request

page: 1

join
share:
jra

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Here's a chance for anyone of you to submit an area you find interesting to be mapped in high-resolution by the LRO, which is supposed to launch tomorrow.

LRO/LROC Target Observation Request site

Do note, however, that your request must have a scientific or engineering rationale behind it.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

Do they add accepted ones to a map or something?

ATS peak...

jra

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I would assume so. I haven't tried submitting one yet. It also says this on the help page.

"user submitted targeting requests will not be processed until the goals of the initial operations phase are completed."

So you may have to wait a little bit, if your request is accepted.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Ah, a thread about this mission that doesn't have any cave men, smells better in here.

Anyway, do you know if they plan to image only the original landing site or do they plan on imaging all of them? Because I would obviously request the other sites.

I'd also like a photo of the flag, if it's still standing (sure hope so lol)

Also, since you know more about this than I, what type of resolution should we realistically be expecting here? Will what's left of the landing module be extremely tiny or will we be able to see a fair amount of detail?

I know the Mars orbiter caught the rover, even if it was kind of tiny.

Do you think the photos will be immediately released or will we have to wait a year or more?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

I'd like them to take images of the 370 things I found

Why so much interest in the moon ATM?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

I could be wrong, but my theory is that they're interested in a manned Mars mission and are reviewing the Moon as a suitable "halfway" point. If there is water on the Moon it makes a Lunar base much more feasible.

jra

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
Anyway, do you know if they plan to image only the original landing site or do they plan on imaging all of them?

From what I've read, I think the plan to take images of them all, plus images of the unmanned US and Russian landers or so I've heard.

Also, since you know more about this than I, what type of resolution should we realistically be expecting here? Will what's left of the landing module be extremely tiny or will we be able to see a fair amount of detail?

Well the decent module is a little over 4m in diameter, so at a resolution of 0.5m/pixel, that should make it at least 8 X 8 pixels.

Do you think the photos will be immediately released or will we have to wait a year or more?

I'd assume they'd release them as soon as they get them. The LRO will get to the Moon by tuesday and then I think it will spend up to two months (maybe less) doing systems checks and what not and then it will begin it's primary mission. Although they may release some images during that time. Apollo 11's 40th anniversary is next month, so maybe we'll get a shot of it by then.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
I'd assume they'd release them as soon as they get them.

Hmmm on what do you base this assumption? Past experience?

I think it will spend up to two months (maybe less) doing systems checks and what not and then it will begin it's primary mission.

that's a lot of system checks...

Although they may release some images during that time. Apollo 11's 40th anniversary is next month, so maybe we'll get a shot of it by then.

Good point... that would certainly make sense... let's hope your right

Stopped by this side of the fence to say we have two requests sent in... one for the possible location of Lunokhod 1 that we are pretty sure where it is... and the other for a section near Tsiolkowsky crater... rational geological interests

Am working on some locations of our favorite 'hot spots' but will need a lot of work on a rational... I am sure "I want to see the moon base" most likely won't do

Anyway I flagged this and will send anyone who has a request over here and toss in the results of out request (if any)... in the meantime I will go back and hang out with the cavemen in the other thread. Those cavemen know how to party

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
New NASA Missions to Reach Moon Tuesday, Sending Back Live Video

MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. -- Two NASA spacecraft will reach major mission milestones early Tuesday morning as they approach the moon -- one will send back live streaming imagery via the Internet as it swings by the moon, the other will insert itself into lunar orbit to begin mapping the moon's surface.

www.nasa.gov...

LCROSS lunar swingby video stream coverage will begin approximately 5:10 a.m. PDT on Tuesday, June 23, 2009. First video data from the LCROSS spacecraft will come in at 5:20 a.m.

www.nasa.gov...

I won't be up... anyone have a recorder?

jra

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Hmmm on what do you base this assumption? Past experience?

Yeah pretty much. All current NASA missions seem to have regular updates. The MRO has been releasing images constantly since it began and they continue to release images every week last I checked.

that's a lot of system checks...

It's a bit more than just system checks. There are spacecraft and instrument checks and calibrations as well as possible orbit adjustments. It's all in the LRO Presskit

Good point... that would certainly make sense... let's hope your right

I noticed the Official LROC site updated the info in there image gallery yesterday. It now says this:

"LROC images are not currently available, because the orbiter is currently on its way to the Moon and has not yet established orbit. As spacecraft and instrument commissioning progress we can better predict when LROC will begin imaging. We hope to have LROC images sometime in early July."

Am working on some locations of our favorite 'hot spots' but will need a lot of work on a rational... I am sure "I want to see the moon base" most likely won't do

That's great. I sincerely hope that at least some manage to get through. Perhaps having a number of different people requesting the same area might also help give it more of a chance. You never know.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Bumping...

What no one has a target area? One poster in the other thread suggested the Apollo 20 space craft
What justification can we use for that one?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Target Acquired

Apollo 14

[img]
[/img]

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
So NASA says its a spacecraft and all the little Skeptic run and create a page that says "See" Its not a rock, its proof..." and now they tell me "Oh yeah but this" Yuppers its a SPACECRAFT"

But when Zorgon says "Its an artifact on Eros, and Zorgon's picture is much better resolution than NASA's, those same skeptics say "Its just a rock"

Funny how the Lemmings operate isn't it?

new topics

top topics

join