It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking Discovery At Local Farm!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Poaching is something that's on the rise in this economy.

I have a friend who was laid off work the same as I, the last time we talked he told me the meat was getting low in his freezer. He grabbed his gun and went to the woods and popped a dear. Even if he had a license it was out of season. Still, he now has a freezer full of meat.

I do not advocate poaching in the least, but I understand it.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Depending on where you are and how discreet you are the cops might overlook it as long as it was one animal. Face it, it's easier to let you provide for yourself than it is to have you steal or maybe rob someone. As long as you aren't killing endangered species or poaching something dangerous like gators. Fish seem to be a different story,
there have been several instances here in Florida since 2007 where trucks and property have been seized from those taking large numbers of protected fish. Someone in New Smyrna was caught last spring with about $40,000 worth of out of season fish in a truck on a traffic stop and they had to pay up.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Just go get a job and a restaurant -you can eat as much as you like and bring some home for the kids.

Go hunting schoot a few buck-go catch fish -be active.

Buy land- grow your own food -some chickens-maybe a few milk cows.

Life's good don't worry so much/\

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I am not going to sit here all self righteous and say that we have never poached a deer. We have. When our children were little, we hit a rough patch and my husband did what he had to do to feed his family. I got right out there and helped him skin and quarter it, steak it and grind it. We never once thought of stealing from someone else, and never killed more than we needed. We raise a garden every year and always give away what we can't ourselves eat. Its the thing to do!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Please take no offense at what I am about to say, because I mean none! Not everything is about good and evil. The policeman even said that this was someone that was in need, not some twisted deviant. There have been times in my life when 80 dollars wouldn't have been any easier to come by than a million. A lot of the big employers in this small area have shut their doors for good. A lot of people in this area have lost their jobs, the way of life that they had is gone. I honestly don't know why they took the meat, I wasn't there but I do believe that it was a hungry person. They didn't kill several cows and leave them. They killed one calf and took the meat... sorry if I offended...It wasn't my intention.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
An average of 1,100 cattle are reported stolen each year in California, at a loss of $2 million.

In Calif illegals have Fiestas and potentially tainted meats are illegally sold at these backyard gatherings. most is stolen.

Texas investigators recovered more than 5000 stolen cattle last year and that was just the one recovered, It is estimated over 15000 head of cattle go missing each year in Texas.
Year ago when i live in Texas one couple that lived near by had a small herd of about 20 cows and i noticed the every spring most of the cows always had twins.
One day the cops and state brand inspectors dropped in on them.
the DNA of about half the calves did not match the mothers.
This couple had been stealing calves and using there cows to mother them.
and from the rumors they had been doing this for over 15 years.
They had been hitting ranches in another part of the state for 2 to 3 day old calves and putting them in a camper on a pickup to transport them.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SharkBait
Just go get a job and a restaurant -you can eat as much as you like and bring some home for the kids.
I'm sure it works that way in some restaurants, but unfortunately, not the one my husband and I work at. If you get caught taking/eat food without paying for it, you get fired.

But if you were to go to a manager, tell them you're hungry, and/or tell them you're flat broke and don't have money for food, they're not gonna let you go hungry. They'll make sure you eat, but you just have to ask so they can ring the food up and get credit for it. And if we have overcooked or extra food, they would let you take some home if you asked and explained to them your situation. All you have to do is ask, but taking without permission is grounds for dismissal.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
As more and more people get laid off and as these economic conditions worsens, I'm sure we are going to see more theft. But it's my hope that instead of people stealing to get their needs met that they would at least propose some kind of exchange. If someone's hungry and wants meat, instead of stealing it from a farmer, why not go to that farmer, explain the situation, and see if perhaps he could do some work around the farm in exchange for food. Maybe the farmer could use a hand or perhaps he knows another farmer nearby who needs help. Many people are charitable and will those in need if they ask. Not all will, but there are a lot of good folks out there.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
No way to justify stealing even if things are bad. a difference between humans and other animals is that at least we can talk about it and ask for help. What needs to happen in the US... is boycotting of certain items in a deliberate fashion to readjust the economy to identify the obvious scamming on the shelves. It is getting to the point where people cannot afford to eat... Not from the lack of food available, but simply the cost of the food has increased (supposedly because of diesel cost)... Truely sad times

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Governments issue UNLIMITED FREE MONEY for themselves
and we slave for pennies!

Why worry?
Print m----.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lellomackin
Isn't this why we want to keep our gun laws in place?

So, that when people steal our things in bad economic times, we can kill them?

No you have it all wrong.

Guns are so the hungry people can kill the people who are hoarding food.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
In the old days cattle theft and horse theft was a hangin' offense. In some states that law is STILL on the books. Farmers and ranchers that aren't of the corporate breed are hard pressed to make ends meet and theft of even one cow is going to hurt when your playing with pennies of profit with the way the market is rigged!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I own a cattle ranch and honestly can see both sides of the argument.

If someone came to me door and told me they were in need of almost anything a few years ago,I'd have dropped everything to help.
Probably still would and absolutely would if it was someone I know.

HOWEVER,because we are so close to the border,I now need to keep loaded guns at every door "in case" simply because the world is a very different place now.There are those who would kill me simply because...well...they could,and take everything in the bargin.

This has actually happened here in South Texas not far from me...

Sooooooo many nuances to this situation but as someone who has to absorb the RAPIDLY escatating costs of feed,seed,and fuel,I wouldn't be happy at all to see an animal butchered in my pasture.
It's still an expensive "asset" for me and one that someone simply doesn't have the right to take.You just cannot totally justify theft,you need to be aware that they will be consequences if you are caught.

In Texas,if someone is on your property and you feel that you are "in danger" you will NOT be arrested if you protect/defend your land,property,or person.
This is the way it should be as I see it,sorry if this offends.

I realize there are people in need but does that mean that those of us who have worked long and hard should simply "understand???"

Another factor is the potential for predators and disease because of such a thing happening...in the heat,all sorts of nasty things happen yet the predators will come and the younger animals will also then be at risk.
Have you ever had to rush to innoculate an entire herd of sick cows beacuse they ate something "tainted" in 100 degree heat???
I have.

Every year,I have to do "battle" of sorts with those who sport-hunt although I do lease property specifically for this purpose as well: they see an animal,they start shooting whether or not they should half the time.
Causes many problems.

There is a reason we have fences and honestlywould someone in an urban area like it if I jumped their fence and took one of their expensive assets?
I think not.

Rural people in my experiences are the FIRST ones to offer help to someone in need but that kindness shoudl never be mistaken for weakness.

Just say "May I?" and you will be pleasantly suprised,promise!

"Need" is no replacement for common human decency.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pop_science
reply to post by RolandBrichter

For those who are really worried about this they should look into what I like to call indoor farming, or indoor gardens that they can make sure the soil is clean and pure and also have climate control and light control, and it's inside so someone would have to come in and take it.
I haven't invested in this yet as there's no need to yet.
Also get the basics beans, rice and some greens and reds/yellows then you have everything you could need and also stock up bags of rice and other grains it will be hard at first to reduce food consumption to things like this even more so for the over consumer but if you learn moderation early you will be able to cope a lot sooner and more be more comfortable without hunger pains and head aches, also if you feel you can't go without taste stock up on simple spices or those little packets of flavors where you just add water they have a long shelf life and are cheap and will help psychologically as well so things don't get to mundane that's a big part of what a food crisis is going to impact on Americans who once had it "easy" they psychological impact because must of us don't realize what a minimum of food we can actually live on.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by pop_science]

Off topic, but..

I have certain acquaintances who "indoor farm".....one of which had the Feds kick in his door because they though he was growing marijuana...he wasn't, but they impounded his equipment anyway..called it "conspiracy to grow marijuana"...They just couldn't believe that he had all this specialized equipment, but his motives were pure...We have no idea how the Feds ever found out about his gardening in the first place...

Edit to add...no charges were ever filed and he never got his stuff back..

[edit on 18-6-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The electric company will report "excessive" power usage to the police. If you order grow lights online or pay for it with a check, that purchase is tied to your identity and it is assumed that it is for the purpose of growing pot.

He needs to press the issue of getting his stuff back. Maybe he could file a "conversion of property" civil suit against the police department. If no charges were filed, he needs to get his stuff back.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I can believe crime rates rising, but killing/stealing cattle is not new.

5-6 years ago, my friend owned a farm and people would come and kill cattle and steal them. They are food, they are commodities, they can be sold for money

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Whether its food or just "stuff", I just don't understand the concept of stealing; especially stealing from another person. Outside of cases of drug addiction, where do people get the notion that it is just OK to take something from someone else instead of earning or working for it?

Did they not at any time in their lives ever have any self respect?

I just don't get it.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by lellomackin

If I have even a little more than I need, I am always happy to share with anyone in need. On the other hand, try taking something from me without permission and they better hope they shoot first.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I'm calling exaggeration and possible misinformation on this story, it's quite complex to field dress a cow, and you showed no proof of it not having simply died and have been eaten on by buzzards and other wild animals.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

I can't see it being any more difficult than field dressing a deer or anything else for that matter, besides, why in the world would I even want or need to lie about it??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join